Sign in to follow this  
steinbach72

Problem with 8800 GTX and FS2004

Hi,I have new PC machine: Intel Dual Core 6600, Asus P5B-E, 2048 Mb Ram 800 MHz, Baracuda 320 GB SATA II with Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTX. I fly on FS 2004 and my frame rate is very good (minimum 26 FPS with all complex addons), but I have problem with graphic card setting. My textures are not so sharp as I expected and runways and buildings seems to be without antialiasing correction. I have tried many, many combinations in card setting (via nvividia control center), but it seems to be without any effect. I experienced visible changes only when I changed graphic setting inside FS. But it is still very bad quality. I am very disappointed with so expensive graphic card. In another games all seems to be O.K. (except MS train simulator - the same problem). I have downloaded the newest driver from Leadtek.comCan anybody help me? Is it any kind of incompatibility with FS2004, or driver error? Has anybody similar experience ? Thank youRegards, Jiri

Hello,Do not know if it will help you, but you can give it a trial and see:On your NVIDIA control panel, select HIGH QUALITY and SINGLE DISPLAY in the performance mode.In fs select a mip at 8.I know some will jump at me cause most often we set the mip at max 4, but listen I have a P4 3 gig no over clocked, and an NVIDIA 7600 gt 256 meg, plus 2 gig of DDRAM2 667 I run 24 maxed at 24 at KLAX from Cloud 9 online, and no AI trafic (you don't see them online anyway).So with a core2 E6600 should be piece of cake.Cyrille de LattreAsus P5B deluxe WIFI/PI V 3 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAM PC566Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Meg PCIeWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

>try this for tweaking.>http://nvtweak.laptopvideo2go.com/main.htm#NVTray>No issues here using 88GTX's and fs9.Hey Davis; Are you using NVTweak with your 8800s? I see you've ditched the water cooling for a phase change system...and smoked an X6800? That's gotta be a story worth telling...CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hey Jiri, did you get it sorted. If so I'd be interested to know what you did. I have very similar system, and, since installing the latest drivers, 97.94 it's terrible. Sawtooth edges on everything and the scenery swimming. Like you said, it's like the antialaising has no effect whatsoever. My old X800 beat this expensive thing into a cocked hat. I've had it exchanged once, but this new one is no better. It gives excellent fps, but the swimming scenery makes you feel like you've been on the beer.Russell.

Hi Russell,I have contacted directly nvividia support, they replied very quickly (in contrary to LEADTEK comp.!!!), but they need any additional information about my system config. Because I am not on my PC this weekend, I will send them information as soon as possible (on Monday) and will wait for answer. I will post results here.Best RegardsJiri

Guest wayupthere

Hey Bob,No i'm currently not running NVTweak with my 8800s, on a single card setup it would perform ok, but had some issues when running SLI specially with X64 Vista, in which it doesn't work at all. And on x32 XP i don't know if it was due to the program or just an unstable system, but with the "Thermo Nuclear Meltdown" that followed more trouble shooting was out of the question..and about that, well not much to tell actually, I left Tokyo, for a few days in Jakarta for promoting Ayumi Hamasaki and as usual i leave the things running (24/7h up/downloading), upon coming back home i found out that one of the WC hoses came off, and so ending the flow of water. Well you know the rest. Fortunately i have a few x6800's still lying around, so now i've gone back to Phase. I find it to be a bit more safe, plus a good reason to try pushing it even more now, not for use for FS but just to see how much more i can get ;)

This is a very helpful thread. I had been thinking strongly of upgrading when my hard drive crashed and burned this weekend...so now time for a complete system.This is the one Im thinking of getting...http://cgi.ebay.com/Gaming-PC-Core-2-Duo-6...5QQcmdZViewItemHave a look. Im thinking this will work fine, but am interested inthese 8800 cards. Also should I get Vista or XP Pro? Im thinking of sticking with XP.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Eric, I sure don't see much detail about what's in tht system. Any recommendation would have to be based on those details...type of mobo, type/speed of RAM, power supply, cooling etc.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi,I got answer from nvividia, they recommended me to install the latest driver and latest patches for XP and FS (all done), but situation was worse then before. Problem remained, but what more? My textures reading was slower, my CH-products did not work in mapped mode !!! Strange driver.... I had to reinstall my older driver back. I have contacted nvividia again, I am looking for reply now. It seems to me, FS2004 is not supported properly by 8800 GTX !!!. RegardsJiri

Guest wayupthere

>FS2004 is not supported properly by 8800 GTX !!!.Again no issues here, and many other users that use this card say it works fine, are you sure its not your OS thats messed up, FS install is somehow messed, OR that your card is simply bad?,,

Thanks for letting us know what Nvidia had to say Jiri. Your problem is exactly the same as mine. I'm using the NVtray and it makes absolutely no difference whatever settings I use. 2xAA, 16x or anything in between does'nt make the slightest difference. I've had the card swopped once, now they say it's highly unlikely I'd get two bad ones. I tend to agree as my boy plays several high end games, and the graphics are superb. I think wayupthere has a good point, so as soon as I have the time I'll reinstall fs2004. I'll let you know how it goes.Russell.

Well, I just reinstalled the flight sim, and not a jot of difference. My God, I'm confused. I downloaded the NVTweaks, so now I have that, the Nvidia settings icon which shows a different set of figures, and the Nvidia control panel. Am I supposed to delete anything. I've run the game using all three in turn but it's like AA and AF just don't work. 50fps no problem, but wavy lines, sawtooth edges and dancing textures. The guy at the shop was convinced it was because I was using an Iiyama analogue CRT. "Yea, definitly, yer see what yer doing is trying to use new technology with old. Yer want dvi to dvi." Well, the ONLY thing the new Iiyama flat screen did was make me a bit poorer and saved a bit of desk space, and jack all else.Russell.

Hi,I have received reply from Leadtek company, regarding my 8800 GTX problem. They recommended me to upgrade FS9 (done - of course), and the latest Direct X install. I have downloaded and install it from MS, but nothing changes. It seems to me, they are not able to solve this serious problem at this time (nor Nvividia nor Leadtek). So I can say only -" I wasted my money".RegardsJiri