Sign in to follow this  

Cougar Mountain Helicopters - Active Helicopter VA

For those of you who have ever considered joining a helicopter VA, I can assure you that it is very challenging and rewarding work. If you've wondered what helicopter VA's do besides executive transport, aerial photography, or MedEvac operations, here is a pic of one of our Cougar Mountain Helicopter Bell 205A's working a fire at Naji's 'Wild Yukon' (great scenery Naji!!!). We have also recently worked fires at Naji's latest scenery, 'AVSIM Base.' The fire at Wild Yukon proved to be quite a tough fire to control, and the heat and turbulence required great skill on the part of the pilot.Fuel loading, careful weight and balance management, correct airspeed and altitude control, and smooth operation of the flight controls (you can't let the 'water bag' get into a 'pendulum action' or you will lose control of the ship) is key to a successful fire suppression operation. Helicopter VA's can certainly provide the ultimate challenge!!!!Rex JesterCougar02Director of OperationsCougar Mountain HelicoptersKetchikan, Alaska

Cougar Mountain VA is great !! But if you cannot join at the moment, consider joining the BFU while waiting.Not a helo VA but you can fly helo's at the BFU as well. We're a bush flying outfit with helo missions from time to time... pretty much free for all .. and no waiting list because there is no complicated organization or schedule ;-)You can make your own missions and fly them too.... :-wave :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Yepp, I agree with you that it looks like Cougar is running a slick operation.I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Tord: We have openings from time to time, but we try to maintain a workable roster. If you are interested, send us an application. We are always looking for expansion opportunities!!!Thanks for visiting our website and stop by to visit from time to time. We try to change our pics and give shots of the many aspects of our work :)'Rexbo'Rex JesterCougar 02

Guest Lindy

Rex, I've stopped by your website a few times myself. I was going to grab one or two of your helos to install, but I saw that they were for registered Cougar pilots only, so I didn't. :-) But maybe you can help me out. Can your "firefighting" equipment be added to any helo? I was thinking it might be nice to add it to the GMAX Bell 222 or even the default Bell 206. Thanks (and nice website too) :-wave -Lindy :-rotor in training

Thank you for your reply, Rex.As I said above, you certainly seem to have a good operation running, so I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

>transport, aerial photography, or MedEvac operations, here >is a pic of one of our Cougar Mountain Helicopter Bell >205A's working a fire at Naji's 'Wild Yukon' (great scenery >Naji!!!). We have also recently worked fires at Naji's >latest scenery, 'AVSIM Base.' >Thanks for the kind feedback, Rex. It is flattering to me to see you guys at Cougar Mountain have volunteered to extinguish those fires :-).The credit for the fires really goes to Nanni, a highly talented Italian who designs mostly for CFS2. Nanni made the stunning forest fire effects, and I just made the api macro that calls it.And if I remember correctly, I placed the forest fires in AVSIM Base after your request, Rex.All the best.

Hi Rex,Great screenshot there in the midst of all the heat and smoke! How are things going at CMH? How is the new job assignment system working out?Thought I'd post the link to CMH for those that haven't been there before-> http://www.cgrmtnhelos.com/You might want to add a link in your signature. ;-)

Guest Lindy

Posting the link was a good idea, Peter..... thank you. I'm sure others will appreciate it. I wanted to drop back in and visit CMH and had to Don Moser's site for a link to either Montana Air or Nighwolf Air and THEN found a link to CMH! I guess coming in the back door like that is permissible, as long as I GET there.Nice site.-Lindy :-wave

Peter: Thanks, and things are going well. The new flight board is working out well, and has helped a great deal. I appreciate your posting the website link. :) I still hope we can get together for a fly in at Ketchikan sometime. Maybe we should set aside one evening a month/quarter and allow those who desire the opportunity to fly together? We can transition back to your island as well.....it has some pretty tight landing areas for helos mid-island if you have the add-on mesh!! Rexbo

Naji: The feedback is 'well deserved', my friend, and my sincerest appreciation for placement of the fires. It really adds an extra element for our operation and we enjoy working with them. It's the little extra's that put your sceneries above and beyond, and makes them versatile for folks at all levels of simming!!!Sincerest thanks, Naji!!!!Great job!!!Rexbo

Lindy: I'm sure that the equipment can be added, but to tell you the truth, those aircraft were designed for us by Dwight Blades at 'the LZ.' I'm sure if you placed a request, he could probably help out.His website is:http://www.thelz.com/Thanks for visiting with us too!!!!!!!Rex Cougar Mountain Helicoptershttp://www.cgrmtnhelos.com

Tord: We look forward to hearing from you!!!!Let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help you with your simming or any aspect of helicopter or fixed wing aviation!!RexboCougar 02Cougar Mountain Helicopterswww.cgrmtnhelos.com