Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

To avoid any confusion about the new private weather server system...

Please note that this system is for AS2 (in development) ONLY and will not work for wxRE 1.x. There are too many differences in the data to provide the same for wxRE 1.x with global weather only.Many users have asked "when the new system will be online for wxRE" and the answer is, unfortunately, never... As stated in the past, I had hoped to provide a private server solution for wxRE 1.x but it was never guaranteed. The fact is there is too much work involved to provide solutions for both systems and I need to focus my efforts on the new weather system of FS2004 and AS2.When the existing winds server has problems (1-2 days every other month or so) everyone is so quick to dump ActiveSky and demand a new solution immediately, but the fact is, 12 days out of 365 aren't bad, and on the Internet, we have to deal with the occasional outage. These "outages" are usually due to routine maintenace and server upgrades. When this happens, that is what OFFLINE mode is for. In the perfect world the internet would never have problems, servers would never go down, and software would never have bugs. But alas we live in the real world. Even with the new server system for AS2, 100% uptime is NEVER guaranteed. The difference is that I will have control of the server and can fix it if there are problems, BUT, there will still be maintenace! There will be upgrades! There WILL be down time! I challenge anyone who cannot accept this to prove to me that it is possible to provide 100% with ANY budget, let alone the very tiny one I have to work with. Until then please have patience when the occasional server issue comes up. Sorry!!!!!!!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Everyone,I hope I didn't mis-lead anyone in the last few days. It was NEVER my intent!JimActiveSky Support

>>I hope I didn't mis-lead anyone in the last few days. It was>NEVER my intent!>Hah! A LIKELY story - probably a shill for the *other* weather program!;)Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

>When the existing winds server has problems (1-2 days every>other month or so) everyone is so quick to dump ActiveSky and>demand a new solution immediately, but the fact is, 12 days>out of 365 aren't bad, This issue was blown out of proportion by a few overzealous users - and specially one fellow on an anti-WxRe crusade !Michael J.

Guest BernBear

Damian,Last night was the first time I had trouble getting winds aloft, never had any grief getting METAR and TAF (I use online mode), so I really have nothing to complain about in the weather download department.Once AS2 goes live and offers access to the private server and that happened to be down temporarily, I would simply switch back to the public servers that are used today, provied that option exists in AS2. If that also fails, there are still the FS2K4 weather themes or, if I were utterly unable to continue simming without real time weather, I would *gasp!* decide try simming again later and do something else instead (Entirely too radical concept for some people, I'm sure ;-) ).Of course I could also immediately get onto this forum and complain bitterly about it being Active Sky's fault that it's not able to pull data off external servers that are beyond HiFi Sim's control. But somehow that wouldn't seem quite right.I'm also afraid that you're going to here at least ten times more whining about a failed weather download once it comes off a private server, even if the outage lasts only a few minutes. I would suggest you just ignore that, some people will always find somerhing to complain about, no matter how hard you try to provide the best product and service with the resources available to you.Best regards,Max (Berne, LSZB)