Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

WX Radar gauge

Guest Lobaeux4

With the upcoming release of Activesky 2 and it's inclusion of a wx radar in .gau format (I did read that right, eh?), is this gauge going to have a 'border' around it, or will it just be a movable gauge, able to place in any aircraft?Am I wrong about the Wx Radar being in .gau format?

Hi,There are two gauge systems that I have been working on for AS2. One is a .gau that will be insertable into the aircraft panel if you have such inclination (as both actual gauge and as popup gauge). .cfg's will be supplied for the default FS2004 aircraft to make the installation easier. Full instructions for custom install will also be available. This system has the advantage of VC capability at the expense of added complexity during setup.The second system is a relatively new one, borrowing technology from WC2, using a .DLL module. This .DLL radar will have some additional features including full AS2 interfacing (for getting weather reports, requesting custom weather, etc) that won't be avail in the .gau. This system doesn't do VC integration (of course the window will still pop up, just not integrated into your VC) but is much easier for the average user to take advantage of.As to which version will be included in AS2.0, I am not sure yet, but I hope to have both options available eventually. .gau has been requested by many "advanced" users however I feel the .dll is going to be the best approach for the majority. With that in mind I'm betting on .dll first for release, then .gau addition (option) in the first scheduled update. But please share your input! If you had a choice, which one would you prefer? Everyone please jump in with feedback.. the most popular one will get priority!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Here's some panel real-estate issues to consider during procedures:If you are enroute, then a sizable placable display module is OK providing (like in advdisplay.dll) it can be docked and the info saved in the panel.cfg. In this type of flying you can afford to have some of the engine and other instruments covered since it is not very often that engine settings will be changed and the weather view will more likely be on a lower resolution longer radar scan.My preference would be a gauge to avoid covering any instruments. I am especially interested in monitoring weather radar during take-offs and approaches and at a higher resolution shorter range during approach/departure vectoring where speed and engine monitoring must be more attentive and at the same time looking for local cell returns that pose a danger during these slower speed maneuvers, if the local weather resolution allows it. I have often experienced vertical drafts interfering with glideslope/descent following during final and while ATC is supposed to vector you around this, it doesn't always happen.I use FS Panel Editor to arrange my panels and this allows for relatively easy sizing and placement of a gauge. On the other hand, it is getting crowded.I was hoping for a gauge integrated with an EHSI but with all the track-plan info and traffic targets (Reality-XP JL series, for example, that cell display would probably wash-out all the info.I suppose the solution would be a fully scalable dockable display module that can be periodicly popped up enroute, and left up covering a GPS which in all liklely hood need not be seen during final. Perhaps the best solution would be to allow two dockable/sizeable saved positions each having a different hot key.Am I making any sense?

Guest Lobaeux4

I started thinking about it again and came to this conclusion on what I'd like to see. I run Activesky on a separate computer, with SB and servinfo. Most of the time on the second computer, I'm either surfing the web, looking at servinfo, or just staring off into space. I think the .gau version would be better personally, but what I'd really like is the ability to set up the weather radar on my second computer, the one running activesky. Then I could have my panel, and take a quick look at the second computer to avoid wx using the radar.

Hi,I run FS and more 3 computers here with project magenta, so I don't use the aircraft panel, only full external view.I'd like to have a weather radar that can be positioned over the full screen mode and should be good if the weather radar could be installed in another computer, so an idea is weather radar running inside active sky interface.I like how WC2 works, very smart, so I preffer the .DLL Thanks,Ulisses

Guest pagotan

Hi,Maybe the ideal solution will be to have both the gauge with full integration possibility and the dll. I understand the dll will offer additional features which are not available in the gauge. So it may be interesting to have both running at the same time (one each computer). Damian, very smart to use WC2 technology!. In conclusion my preference would be the dll first and then the gauge as you suggested.Michael

>Hi,>>Maybe the ideal solution will be to have both the gauge with>full integration possibility and the dll. I understand the dll>will offer additional features which are not available in the>gauge. So it may be interesting to have both running at the>same time (one each computer). Damian, very smart to use WC2>technology!. >>In conclusion my preference would be the dll first and then>the gauge as you suggested.>>MichaelI second that.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpgPatrick/EBBR