Sign in to follow this  
Guest Erups

B192 and transfer speed

I think that with b192 (i didn't upgrade to the previous two beta versions) the download speed has diminished.It now takes something like about 100secs just to download the data file, then it starts the normal processing.Now my connection is not the problem as it allows a maximum of 220KB/s.It is a very little minor annoyance, but i thought to ask.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yup, since upgrading to B192, I'm seeing this too! On a 4Mb (downstream) broadband connection, metar downloads used take seconds, now it is taking a minute or two. Used all previous versions (including betas) and this is a first since upgrading to B192.Al

Same thing here. Its slow enough to see individual numbers as it's counting up to 370K.

hi all,just installed B192 and can confirm the slow transfer speed...also 4mb dataline here. no transfer speed problem with B182.cheers and thanks,harald

Nope, still have the problem 24 hrs later. I bet my bottom-dollar that if I took the time to reinstall the last build, it would go away. Not too worried though, AS support usually has issues well-in-hand. Looking forward to the development update. Thanks Jim.Al

I also have a problem with download speed under 192. I decided to role back to 182 and that solved it. no problems with bandwidth (I'm a UK cable user [700Kb]), so I can only assume it's 192 that's the problem.

>Are you a Comcast customer?I am not, and i still have this behaviour.2mbit line fully operational and i still see KB by KB download.

Hi All,To Comcast users: Comcast has had service issues this week, especially in the evenings. There has been articles in the major Detroit papers reporting such problems as very slow Internet and non-connects. I am a Comcast user and get the same problems.To everyone else: I will drop Damian a line!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Jim,I know about the DNS issues Comcast has experienced recently and have certainly suffered through them myself. I can tell when this is happening with nslookup's and tracert's. From a client-side perspective, my connection was fully-up and operational when experiencing these difficulties with B192. I do however agree that a person could be experiencing both problems simultaniously.v/r,Al

hi Jim,i'm leaving in Europe/Austria - no comcast provider here :-)tried again today, still very slow download compared to B182.its not a major issuer, so no rush!cheers and thanks,harald

Hi Jim. Not a comcast customer. On a 7Mbps connection and still happens.

What I have noticed is that if FS is minimised or not running the download goes very fast.But if FS is maximized and running then the downloads go very slow.Am just wondering if that is part of the optimization build in to limit the resource load effect the download will have on FS and to reduce the stutters when donwloading and updating weather?RegardsJannier

>What I have noticed is that if FS is minimised or not running>the download goes very fast.>But if FS is maximized and running then the downloads go very>slow.Not in my case: to see if it was a case or not, i closed FS and AS and started AS alone.Same problem.

Hi all,Due the the frequency of complaints about stuttering/performance issues during downloading, we seriously throttled it back in the client end. Please see B192 release notes (revisions.txt).The good news is that all reports of performance problems have come back "solved".The bad news is that now it's too slow for some?Those that are noting the decreased download speed.. can you please comment on the FS performance during downloads? Did you ever have a problem with overhead/pausing during this process before B192?We believe it was due to antivirus/firewall apps running on users systems, where if we did not throttle back it would cause serious FS performance problems on those systems. An option would probably be best, but please share your experiences first (would an option to go "FULL SPEED DOWNLOAD" cause stutters on your system?)Best,

Hi DamienI've been using AS2004.5 in a WideFS setup with PC-Cillin Inetnet Security 2005 on both (with WideFS ports open) and haven't had any of the stutter issues. This build, IMO, is too slow, especially on initial connections where I'm trying to get the current winds quickly to get AI restarted in the right direction. I personaly liked all previous versions prior to this one. I would much prefer an option to adjust this... BTW, I'm using Comcast broadband.ThanksAl

I never had issues with stuttering/performance in this or previous versions during the download and my PC sits behind a hardware router/firewall and also runs a software firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro).I'll also now be devil's advocate and raise a simple point about speed of download of the weather data. When is the only condition it really matters how fast the weather data comes down? Answer - if the length of time it takes to download is longer than the automatic refresh interval.For example, if you set to refresh weather data every 10 mins, if it takes 1 second to complete the download or 9 mins 59 secs, as long as it is finished before the next one starts, there is no problem. Now if it took 10 mins and 1 sec (or longer), that's an issue.So if you are in MSFS flying along with AS running in the background in reality there is no real issue with a change in weather data download speed as it'll happen at regular intervals as before (and there will be a hidden benefit in that the CPU is not being pushed as hard so the extra cycles go back to MSFS). Now of course if you really have to bring AS to the foreground so you watch how fast it downloads and say look download is slower, yes (as the difference between a mathematician and engineer's view would be) it is "mathematically" slower, but as far as the "engineering" reality, it is irrelevant.

Hi Al,Thanks for the feedback.. will put an option in:Enable Bandwidth ThrottlingSlows down the download speed which may help prevent stutters or other performance problems on certain systems/configurations.Default: OFFThanks again!

DamianThe download speed is only really a problem during the first download (initialise the weather). Thereafter, it becomes irrelavent as long as it's quicker than the update interval (as mentioned above).Perhaps you could max the dowload speed for the first refresh, then throttle if the option is checked?Rob

Comment on bandwidth throttling:i only had problems back in the early phases of AS2004 where sometimes downloading and processing would hog the cpu so much FS did indeed stutter.My configuration is reported in the signature, and i always run with Nod32 antivirus (very light but extremely efficient i must say, recommended) and ZA 4.5, so a scenario that could show the problems mentioned above.Maybe it's because of my fairly high end configuration, but i never noticed and stutter caused by AS.Only moment in which i had a little pause have been when AS virtually presses the "enter" after the command cue sent to FS: in that moment FS loads and executes all the commands and it shows a little pause, but nothing serious.And i add that this is not a big/serious problem: since the update is beta i thought better to report this behaviour that was strange and unexplained to me as the two points covering this matter in the changelog do not directly point at a possible download speed reduction- Additional overhead minimization for increased frame-rates during downloading and processing- New optimization during main loop processing to prevent possible stutters in areas with very few reporting pointsBut anyway see what suits you better, the program is working nicely and clean on me, so no problem at all.Looking for ASV :)