Sign in to follow this  
Mozzy

SP2 Clouds disappear - reappear

Hi All,Today I noticed the same issue many here have been describing and I have beem unable to determine what the fix (if any) is. Today's flight was between KSEA and KPDX with an altitude of 18,000 and every 20 to 30 seconds clouds would be all around me then they would clear out then redraw a few seconds later. On final approach it went from clear skies to cloudy then back to clear skies for 30 to 40 seconds then poof...more clouds.Any further info on what the potential fix is would be great.Thanks!Mike

Hi Jim,Dynamic rate is set to 55 and I tried 50 as my baseline. I also tried Skyscape on and off and had the same results.It appears that the cumuloninbus clouds are being redrawn at a 25 to 30 second interval (on my end at least). Everything seemed to work fine up until I loaded service pack 2.Just finished a quick test flight and as soon as the aircraft gets close to the edge of a cloud bank and the sky begins to clear up the next set of clouds is drawn and the process repeats. Hope this makes some sense?! ;-) Mike

Hello,I have the feeling that this happens in regions where there are a lot of airports and weather stations. Example Europe it happens all the time. When I "fly" in Russia, Africa and or Asia I do not see this happening.Hope it helps.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Hi Jim,System specs:XPC Shuttle SD31PIntel Pentium D 3.6GhzIntel 945G chipset2GB RAM (CZ DDR2-666)Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS (Alpha Dog Edition) 512MB DDR3 with current driversRunning FSX at unlimited FPS and SP1 installed.I've tried the fix pouldam suggested and that resulted in clouds looking like sheets of paper stuck together so I assume that fix is meant for folks who have their FSX patched to SP2.Is there anything you would like from a flight that I can provide you?Mikehttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

This seems to work well. It would be nice to know what the fix actually does, though :)

Hi Jim,If I lock my frames at anything other than unlimited FSX crawls to a halt and I had the exact same settings prior to patching ASX and never had this issue.I did another flight after I posted here between KSEA and KPDX and there was reported cloud cover pretty much the whole route and the disappear/reappear effect wasn't as drastic as previous flights however, it was still there. Is there a setting in ASX I can adjust with regards to how fast the weather changes/updates between reporting stations?Mike

Hi all,Keep in mind that clouds popping in and out occasionally is a known FSX issue. See up the thread a little for a link to a potential solution.Also, when using Visibility Graduation or Wind Smoothing features of ASX, this will cause a GLOBAL "write" every 20-30 seconds which can indeed cause visuals to redraw. This is a known limitation.It is suggested to try the solution indicated above but if you continue having visual issues you may need to disable the Vis Grad/Wind Smoothing.On a positive note, there has been much progress in wind smoothing and shift handling, both from FSUIPC v4 and ASX SP3 which is soon to be in public beta. Things are looking up. With these new solutions you won't need ASX wind smoothing feature (and the global rewrite), and can instead rely on the smooth winds FSUIPC provides or the wind shift stabilization ASX will provide.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Guys,Just wanted to report that moving my Dynamic Rate of Change slider to 25% has virtually eliminated the cloud popping in and out issue. It did happen a couple of times on my recent flight (KSEA - KPDX) however, no where near the extent of my previous flights which I am very happy with now.Thanks for the help!!Mike