Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

FS2K2 Will Not Run With New 41.09 Drivers...... Help

Guest Bob I

Morning simmers,Never had this problem before. I have a 1 gig, 512 RAM, GF2 64 meg Video card, running on v28.32 drivers, and Win 98SE, with exceptable results. Decided to upgrade to Dx 9.0 and the latest Nvidia drivers. The Dx 9 install went great, and I think there was an improvement in the FS2K2 sim picture quality. Next I did the drivers. Used the Remove program method, used Destroyer, let Windows install the VGA drivers, then let the Nvidia drivers self install. Have used this procedures for a long time, with great results. This time, the install is fine for the rest of the installed programs on the computer, but FS2K2 hangs/freezes with a black screen after the logo/splash screen and the textures are loaded. No picture, no sound no nothing. Removed and replaced the old drivers, and all is well again. I would like to see the drivers work, as I have allways seen an improvement after new drivers, and the new driver setup menu is great. Any ideas? Thanks.Regards,Bob I

Guest drobson

I don't have any solution to your problem, but just wanted to say that I have not had that problem with the 41.09s. I have recently gotten rid of them, however, and am now using the beta 42.01s, with great results. They seem to be much better than any of the others I've tried.Darrell

Guest gasebah

Hi Darell,in what respect are they better than the 41.09s (they work very good and fast on my system)? I do not like changing drivers once a week without a reason, so it would be nice to know.Thx,Alex

Guest Bob I

Hi BillGoog thought... Just checked and they are for Win98 & ME. This is the first driver problem that I have ever had. Don't understand what has gone astray. Not wanting to be fooled by a set of drivers, I installed them again...same thing. I changed the sim rtesolution from 1280x1024x32 to 640x480x16, and the sim loaded until the default instrument panel showed up, but the sim is still frozen. Beats me.Bob I

Depends on the configuration. Many have found that the 42.01's are the best performers for them, and stable. Check out the forums at Gure3D for more info. Mileage may vary! :-lol

Hi guysI was under the impression that drivers for GF2 cards are not intended to go beyond 28.32. The latest drivers are developed for GF4 cards. Think about it. Is nvidia likely to devote effort for improving non current cards?I think that DX9 is a bit irrelevant for FS2K2 as the game almost certainly does not contain any DX9 code therefore we are not very likely to gain any advantage from it. I have it installed on my rig because I do do other games apart from FS and it is certin that game developers are incorporating DX9 code now as I'm sure MS will do in the next release of FS2K*This is what I understand....if I am wrong please corrct me!

If I understand it correctly, all the Nvidia driver sets are compatible with all the cards in their product line, at least from the GeF-2 onwards. But I don't know if any real benefit can be derived from the later drivers vs. the older cards. I have a GeF/2, and I've settled on the 21.83 drivers, which have been stable for what seems like eons. The never ending circle of driver upgrades can be like a dog chasing its tail.... I've tried to religiously apply the "ain't broke" philosophy to my system :) None of my apps freeze or choke with the 21.83's And my 2k2 performance is pretty decent. Very happy, with the olde driver set...-John

If memory serves right, 41.09 doesn't support the older cards. It was specifically designed for GF4's on up. Like posted above, go to Guruof3D site and check there, as well as Nvidia's site. I dl'd the drivers directly from Nvidia and find these to be the best (so far) and have no problems with it. Also have the new DX9 installed. When the newest 42.xx become WQHL, then I'll try those. But like mentioned above, I also hate updating my drivers every other week. More than likely, until you upgrade your card, you'll have to stick with the older 2x.xx drivers.Mike Baumann

Guest gasebah

Well, I have a GF4Ti4600 too. So if you got better results, I should have em.Alex

Guest vas_yan

Hi,A couple of suggestions...First you can run dxdiag to check if everything is ok with that bit, second you can erase your fs2002.cfg and let the sim regenerate a new file, sometimes this solves otherwise incomprehensible problems. Another thing is to disable your antivirus software together with any utilities that affect the graphics card such as rivatuner etc. Lastly I would suggest that when you install the new drivers you try the update driver function. I imagine that after running the Detonator setup of the 41.09 it crated a NVIDIA folder somewhere. So you can point the driver update to the .inf file located in there and then choose your display adapter. This works even if you don't uninstall the previous ones. If you try that you will see that your graphics card is actually included in the ones suppported by the driver, so no worries about that.Take care,

Guest drobson

I should add that I'm running a GF4 TI4200, 64 meg card. I just noticed that the originator of this thread is running a GF2.The 42.01s have gotten rid of the blurry shift + z text, and in the ATC window. With the 41.09s, I could not have AA turned on, nor the AF settings cranked up without getting that blurry text. Now I've got the AA slider all the way to the right, and the Anisotropic Filtering at 2x, and things look great!Darrell

Guest CapnCol

Good evening BobI have just installed the "new" 41.09 drivers for my Nvidia card and I have to say they are a vast improvement on the previous drivers. What I would say is that when I went on to the website to download the drivers, the ones that were available (41.09) were specifically for windows XP. Perhaps that is the problem, they are not compatible with ME.Colin

Guest drobson

Not sure which site you went to to d/l them, but www.nvidia.com has 41.09 drivers listed for Win98/ME. That's where I got mine from, but I've since switched to the beta 42.01 from http://guru3d.com/Darrell

I have a similar setup as Bob1 in re W98SE, 1 gig mobo, video card, ram, etc. I installed the 41.09s...which seemed to go OK. But, when I tried to access settings, the screen went black and I had to reboot. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the 40.82s which I had been delighted with after upgrading from the 29.80s.Sherm