Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Added 2 gigs-results

On my 3.2 pIv, gforce 7600gs 512meg, I added another 2 gigs of on board memory bring the total to 3 megs.Everything runs noticibly better-the one that puzzles me is the fps didn't really change much-(shows about the same)-but flight is even smoother than it was and I am now running with autogen maxed with good results for almost all situations. Maybe a cheap upgrade for some...I am happy now and see no need to go further in improving my system.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest MD11Forever

I noted similare results when I went from 1GB to 2GB of RAM. Not much in terms of FPS gain but a definite increase in system stability.

3 megs WOWReminds me of a NASA subcontracting lab in 1984, had 4 megs of RAM in their IBM PC, I was jealous(no I did not know Bill )allen

Guest Elvi5

Ram won't make a great deal of difference to FPS. Thats normal, don't worry about it. It will speed up loading & reduce in flight stutters. You'll notice you can switch views with less harddrive crunching.

Guest allcott

>On my 3.2 pIv, gforce 7600gs 512meg, I added another 2 gigs>of on board memory bring the total to 3 megs.>>Everything runs noticibly better-the one that puzzles me is>the fps didn't really change much-(shows about the same)-but>flight is even smoother than it was and I am now running with>autogen maxed with good results for almost all situations.>Maybe a cheap upgrade for some...I am happy now and see no>need to go further in improving my system.FSX, I presume?Allcott

With an increase in RAM, you do not speed things up, you make things happen, more room to play, you have enough room but your still a slow boy. But this slow boy in a small space did little steps at a time,....

>With an increase in RAM, you do not speed things up, you make>things happen, more room to play, you have enough room but>your still a slow boy. But this slow boy in a small space did>little steps at a time,....>Huh?????:-doh

try crankin it up over western long island, ny ..take off from KFRG and head west (about 300 degrees towards manhatten)...let us know how well it holds up as you approach to land on rwy 31 at KLGA with full autogen :-)...oh yea and dont forget to do lots of panning left & right in the vc, hehe...its times like these i really hate being a NY'er, lolDave

I did...there is a picture in the screen shot forum. I still show 9-12fps but it is now fairly smooth-maybe not like the 20-30 I get everywhere else. It is a lot better than I got with fs9 with the lga addon...Of course I could turn the autogen down too to get better performance but it looks so #$#$ good...It really is a relatively cheap way to "upgrade".With every other version of fs I always got a new computer-I am satisfied with my two year old system with the ram upgrade for about $200-no more upgrading here.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

9-12 sounds about right, heehee!...but when i pan its choppy as #### and totally ruins it for me...and by choppy i mean it actually pauses or stutters alot when panning to look out left and right windows....if i could get rid of that id be MUCH happier...using 2 gig ram and geforce7800gs on a P4 3.06 :-(Dave

i think its more than likely the memory on the gpu and not the system since my system isnt even using the entire 2gig anyway with fsx. I only have 256mb on the gpu, not 512...shucks...but im curious to know if the culprit is the way the vc is being rendered now because im not convinced its autogen related or ai related....i just "feel" like its something to do with the cockpit, dunno.Dave

>FSX, I presume?>>>AllcottNow come on Allcott, your not supposed to ask questions like that your supposed to read minds?*Grin*

Dave Taylor gb.png

I am not quite sure what to do to improve the quality of FSX.I have an Athlon 64 3800+, 1 gb ram, but my system is not dual core (does this really matter?). Also, the only video card I have is the 256 shared that is intergrated into the computer. Am I screwed? My framerates were horrible even at low settings (7-8 fps), so I am wondering if I need to buy a a separate video card, more ram, or both, or do I need a whole new system (this would not make sense since I bought this computer specifically in anticipation of FSX). I was told that the dual core would not add anything to programs like flightsim, but would just help if I were multitasking. It was truly disapointing to install FSX and see it run as poorly as it did, especially since my computer is only 9 months old. With FS9, everything ran great with this computer, even at the higher settings.I bought the FSX professional edition since I am a real life pilot and I thought it would add to the experience, but it has added nothing to date.Pilot Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot