Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

1.78 Gig RAM USAGE, and climbing! I DID it! I broke the 1.33 max RAM barrier!!!!

I did it! FSX is SMOKING! I had memstatus running after I used the registry tweak for large RAM systemsLargeSystemCache=1 Under Memory ControllerAt only 15 FPS, at 1,200 feet above sea level in high detail San Francisco, I am SCREAMING across the water with no stutters, and such life-like animation, I could KISS the guy who fed me that tweak/tip for 3 gigs and over systems.He'd probably slug me..so a hand-shake will certainly do!------------------------------------------------------------------If you look at task manager under the performance tab, there is a setting called "Peak" under "Commit Charge (K)". Anymore ram then that is being wasted except as a file system cache. It you add much more memory than you are using (ie 3 gig) I believe the only way you can take advantage of it is if you have set your registry setting for "LargeSystemCache" to 1 (for server).The registry key is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControl Session ManagerMemory ManagementBruce--------------------------------------------------------------------For all those that didn't believe, LOLMy highest RAM usage now with all sliders at only 50 percent was cresting near 1.8 megs!!!!! The max FSX 1.33 barrier is BROKEN! FSX DOES use and will use any RAM it can get. It seems XP Pro will too.FOR THOSE WITH ALSO 3 GIGS of PHYSICAL RAM, get your butts down to the last few posts on my My GAWD MEMORY POST and follow the instructions to add this to your registry, from the fellow that put me onto the MASSIVE tweak THANK YOU, BRUCE---it worked like gang-busters---THANK YOU!LargeSystemCacheGAWD, this is becoming quite exciting!Mitch R.

Thank YOU, Bruce, this is the BIGGEST tweak I have done since having FSX.For all those that have ANY kind of scenery STUTTERS, THIS...THIS is the STUTTER KILLER GRAND DADDY TWEAK.I'm not sure if lower RAM systems will see the benefit of the above Registry setting, but what the heck...give it a go...There might be celebrations ***ALL*** over the FSX world, :)Mitch R.Man 'o man.....

this is going to #### some people off again. LOL Good job shoving it up their tailpipe. HA!

I am having A BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm getting better performance than from EVEN--- FS9 YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!I have TRUE FLIGHT ANIMATION. FIRST TIME in ANY SIM.My GAWD ! BRUCE...I need to take you out for a beer!Mitch R.

Guest SimFan71

Actually, I can see that one helping with FSX, usually it's an optimizaton used with things like SQL server when you have high amounts of RAM.There's another couple you might want to try too while you are on your mission....(they are under the HKLM/...../SessionManager/MemoryManagement subkey too).Off the top of my head, I believe they are...(I might have them slightly off name wise, just google the subkey, too tired to do it myself now!)..."IOPageLockLimit" - it's like 512KB by default, increasing it can help load times with big files (it's essentially the batch size for each part of the transfer if I recall correctly) - whether it would do much with FSX who knows, but if you want to try go for it!!!"DisablePagingExec" (or might be Executive) - Setting to 1 forces the OS to hold the Kernel and Drivers in RAM rather than in the swap/paging file.There's others too - it's late (early!) so I can't think of them all without looking them up. They all might help to some extent or another if you mess around with them!** CAUTION TO CASUAL ONLOOKERS **NOTE: I don't advocate anyone messing with their system registry unless they really know what they are doing, you could make a whole mess of your system - and keep in mind, this stuff affects EVERYTHING on your system, not just FSX.ALSO: LargeSystemCache "might" help even if you have less RAM - but BEWARE, it may work for FSX on some systems depending on your setup, but it could seriously affect certain other applications performance as well. I would not do it on anything but a system dedicated to FSX (or SQL server LOL).

I'm having no ill-effects throughout my entire system, with having used this tweak!It is normal-business.But what it did for FSX....UNBELIVABLE!I'm going to try your other suggestions...You and Bruce might give me the VUNDERBAR SYSTEM I was hoping NOT to have to open the wallet for, LOLOLOLOLThanks...Mitch R.

I can confirm that this added about 5 fps average on my system. In the area I fly I am now getting 30-40 fps without autogen and 12-16 and pretty smooth with full maxed autogen-and no autogen tweaks.I also posted an optomized nvidia driver (the post has been moved to the hardware forum) which also seems to have added a few fps for some people.Imho I wish these posts were not moved to the hardware forum-they are software tweaks-seem to make a considerable difference, and need to be seen by the greatest number of people to be helpful for what is the biggest issue for this sim-performance!3.2 PIV, gforce 512k card, 3 gigs ramhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest baksteen33

I agree a lot of RAM helps, but I must strongly warn to change certain things in the registry or OS' performance tabs. LargeSystemCache can FUBAR a system and specially data under particular circumstances (it's a server setting). For example, large NTFS partitions or certain GPUs (usually Radeons). A couple of other infamous 'regtweaks' aren't read under winXP. Benefit = next to zero. A better manner to waste time is probabyly to run down to the byteshop and bite-in on some more bytes... ;-) Please be cautious folks. Kind regards Jaap

Guest SimFan71

That's why I put my caution note in my previous post regarding manually changing registry settings, and also to warn that some of these are server specific settings, just some happen to be replicated in WinXP since they came over from the Win 2000 Kernel.However, LargeSystemCache shouldn't cause any damage to your system - in fact, in XP you don't even need to go into the registry to change it (all it really does is switch between using more memory for programs or for the system cache) - it's under performance options under your system properties dialog, those radio buttons directly set the registry value!!!!

Guest baksteen33

Well, here's your 'disclaimer': >>ALSO: LargeSystemCache "might" help even if you have less RAM - but BEWARE, it may work for FSX on some systems depending on your setup, but it could seriously affect certain other applications performance as well. I would not do it on anything but a system dedicated to FSX (or SQL server LOL).<< No mentions about loosing data. Maybe you weren't aware of possible consequences? http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.htmlKind regards Jaap

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Here's something you guys should try.Load up FSX after making the registry change your talking about, go fly around for a few minutes.Change one setting, just one. Save your configuration. Fly around for ten more minutes. Reboot your machine mid-flight.You know what, that config file you 'saved' may not have actually saved, it was cached to memory and would probably have written once CPU load was brought down... i.e. closing FSX. Effects will differ from machine to machine, but generally speaking, actual disk writes can occur from immediate, to even an hour later....LargeSystemCache is meant for specific types of server usage. Not web servers, nor data servers, but file and print servers, or servers that have to store large amounts of data that never changes. (Static data)Fact is, using this setting can seriously screw you over..... One day you could be working on your resume and all of a sudden your system crashes. MS Work can bring back a document from a crash-session restore.... but if the crash session info was cached to disk and not written to the drive, it can never be brought back.Download a hundred photos from your son's wedding day, as you open the first one up your machine has a BSOD or some power failure of sorts.... hope the images haven't been deleted from the camera because they may not be on your drive.Just a warning guys, seriously that setting can be catestrophic, which is why it's mostly used in for special-needs systems that demand that super-fast sharing of static data.... i.e. Files.I know the FPS increase your getting makes it seem worth it, but at least make sure the PC is dedicated to FSX only.heh, I've seen some fairly large companies use that on their data servers, especially live corporate websites with e-commerce capabilities. The last thing they expect is that people purchase something and they get billed for it, yet you lost their data due to a server crash before it saved their information to the database :) I love stupid clients, they keep me in business :)btw: I have to report that this 'tweak' hasn't increased my framerate at all... however I should mention that FSX is only using 800MB of RAM now as opposed to the 1.3GB it was using an hour ago....kinda the opposite of what it's supposed to do. I can't actually explain why either, it has me stumped.... then again FSX is a difficult beast, one time I turned autogen off and my FPS went DOWN!!!The other tweak is a godsend, keeping the kernel in memory is always a good thing. I've been doing that to every machine I've built for the last few years now... works a charm and clients always think I got them super machines because they appear to run faster than your average joe :)

Guest SimFan71

Correct (and the other part you left out, warned about not messing with your registry or settings unless you know what it does, I just happen to know about that stuff since I do low level Windows programming amongst other things).I was just trying to give a little more insight to people who found it helped, while trying to discourage people from messing with it indiscriminantly in XP unless it was a machine dedicated to their FSX - that simple!Any setting "could" cause data loss (set your virtual memory to zero and see what happens when you run out of RAM or heck, start messing around with the timings in your BIOS) - though the change that makes internally shouldn't do so, though like all these things, should be used with care, and there are always exceptions.However, we're making the same point - be cautious! And I agree that is important information to impart on a public forum, where there could easilly be less informed people who might just try things blindly with no thought of potential consequences.

Guest baksteen33

No worries, mate. :-) A couple of years ago, there was a rather amusing thread where somebody decided to go ahead (despite the warnings) and was going to report back about the LargeSysCache tweak. He never did... I dearly hope Mitch is aware of the potential consequences. Other than that, I fully agree lots of RAM is good for FSX! :-) Kind regards Jaap