Sign in to follow this  
Guest PARADISE

DIRECTX END-USER RUNTIME UPDATES

Guest PARADISE

I remember seeing a post on this several months ago, but I failed to locate it. I apoligize for any duplication. I see that MS has another DirectX update available (dated 12/13/06). My question is how important is it to add these DirectX End-User Runtime updates when they come? Do they make a noticable performance difference in running FS9? I'm always a little hesitant to install updates when my system is purring along like a new born kitten. Unless,of course, they are critical to my performance or security.Thanks in advance for any repliesJohn M

Ultimately I subscribe (after two decades of systems and software support) to the "if it ain't broke" creed. If your system is purring along, I would wait until you install Vista and then go with DX 10. IMHO, this late in the game, no DX 9 update is going to offer a measurable increase in performance. The only time my opinion might differ is if the update were there to fix a critical security flaw--but even then I proceed with caution and wait for anecdotal reports from my peers that the "Fix" isn't worse than the problem(s) it cures. -John

Guest SilverCircle

>I remember seeing a post on this several months ago, but I>failed to locate it. I apoligize for any duplication. I see>that MS has another DirectX update available (dated 12/13/06).>My question is how important is it to add these DirectX>End-User Runtime updates when they come?They *may* be important for new games since they usually fix some minor issues. None of these small updates incorporates *major* changes to Direct3D or any other component.For FS9, which was in development more than 3 years ago, they are most likely not needed. Don't expect anything like a noticeable performance improvement."Never change a running system" is pretty much what applies to DirectX aswell. If it works and all the DX apps you are using don't do any weird things, then you probably don't need these updates.

I guess I don't understand these Microsoft updates. My computer is set-up to automatically install updates. I went into dxdiag and opened the DirectX file tab. I have about 18 files that were installed or dated 10-29-06. I didn't install them so they were done automatically.I can't find a file dated 12-13-06 so I presume it wasn't installed automatically. I'm wondering why this file wasn't installed as the other updates were. That leaves the question if some DirectX updates are optional.Daryll

There are a couple things going on with directX9. One is that there are new apis for so-called "managed code" that runs under the ".NET framework". the other thing is that there are multiple dlls. the idea is that if a program needs a changed dll, instead of replacing the dll and breaking existing programs, it is possible to have multiple versions of the same dll. The program when started loads the appropriate version. Thus the new version is often included with the install for the program that needs it. You can d/l them from MS, but if you don't have a program that needs it, it won't make any difference. the core 9.0c isn't affected.scott s..

Daryll,I am not sure that all DX updates are always automatically done like other Windows Updates are. You might want to check on that with some people that really know Win though, because I'm not 100% sure about that.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hello,DirectX updates are not done using "normal" Windows Update.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64