Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Are u Using DX10 for FSX?

If you have a DX10 system did you stick with DX10 mode for FSX?Have the early issues been resolved by driver updates or Vista SP1?If you do use it , what video card and driver do you have?

Guest acolvard

I use DX10 exclusively. My Setup is 8800GTX SLI with 174.74 drivers Vista 64 SP1. I have great performance. There are still some original issues.

Guest firehawk44

I still use DX10 mainly for the cockpit shadows effect and the major plus in FPS with DX10 Preview enabled. The DX10 issues have not been fixed with the latest video card driver updates (ATI or NVIDIA) and Vista SP1 did not fix any in-game issues. I have dual Nvidia 8800GTX's in SLI mode and recently installed the 175.12 beta drivers. So far no extraordinary issues with the latest beta's.Jim

I lose about 1/3 of performance and get a few graphical glitches as well, even with Vista SP1. DX10 is still a nogo for me. Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I upgraded to the latest nvidia driver and seemed to have issues in dx9 with getting AA and AF working, even with nhancer. No matterwhat changes I made to AA and AF it made no difference?So I checked DX10 preview mode and turned on bloom and water up to mid 2x and restarted...Wow! was I amazed the image looked night and day better than DX9.The wavy lines on top of some buildings seen in dx9 disappeared.The sunset looked sureal, etc. AA and AF must have kicked in, add to that the dx10 improvements, and it looks great.I had tried dx10 when it first came out and was rather disappointed but somethings improved in my setup since than I guess, it really looks nice.Oh, cant comment on fps as I stopped chasing that counter sometime back, but it seems as smooth as dx9 was yet with much improved image quality.Maybe all that disc activity in Vista starts to pay off as time goes by...Using a 8800GTS 640mb SSC.

I lose the performance, but don't get the glitches. I only get the artifacts at Friday Harbor airport. No other. I only use DX9 because I don't know if the World of AI planes can cope with it or not. If they can still hold up their textures, I will happily sim in DX10.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest UlfB

Hi,I run Vista and have DX10 graphics card, but run FSX in DX9 only. This is because some sceneries I have look really bad in DX10. The navigation lights and strobe lights on the aircraft doesn't work in DX10. There is some kind of battle going on regarding on who to blame. MS says it's an driver issue and nVIDIA seems to say nothing. I don't give a sh*t and run FSX in DX9 mode only.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest harleyman52

I use both.....No probs on eighter...... I get slightly better performance out of DX9 ,but it still rocks FSX... Digital Storm Desktop Case: Digital Storm 850Si Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache) overclocked 3.38Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (nForce 780i SLI)Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme SpeedHard Drive 2: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (PCI-Express)Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi FPS Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O Unit)Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)

>I lose about 1/3 of performance and get a few graphical>glitches as well, even with Vista SP1. DX10 is still a nogo>for me. >>GaryDitto for me as well. Huge performance decrease. No reason to use it.

I recently switched to Vista so I just got a chance to try DX10 for the first time.With the same settings, I do loose a few FPS compared to DX9. However, things like higher water settings and bloom have a much smaller impact on the framerate under DX10, so I'm able to turn on more eye candy while only losing a few FPS. I can play with water at Max instead of 2.0 Low, for example.None of the visual effects are that dramatic - the water looks slightly better. The cockpit shadows don't look that good to be honest. They're not soft shadows like most modern games use, they have a hard edge like shadows used in games such as Doom 3 (2004) which people played on DX8-class cards.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP