Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerel

Assistance with New Computer

I am in the market for a new computer and put together a configuration after searching through the forums and reading a lot of reviews. I have a few questions if someone can help me. This rig will be running FS9 primarily. Probably will upgrade to FSX later on or set up a dual boot. Here is the configuration I put together:->INTEL, Core

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's the standard Q box. It'll run its quad at 3.6Ghz. The E8XXX duals will run at 4.0. For FS, the trade is 10% additional FPS (the rig OPosted) vs better scenery loading (Q box) . . . but that's all. There will be No additional differences in FS.http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=7159746The cooler suggested is the best available and works fine. No need for water. Arctic Silver is good CPU goop, and DDR2 v 3 is just marketing. The 8800GT is all FS can use.Run Vista 64, put both FSX and FS9 on the boot drive. Defrag with a modern defragger. Go FLy, Way < $1000.

Thanks for posting the Q box. Interesting list. When you say the 8800GT is all FS can use what do you mean? Are their stability problems with other higher end graphic cards with FS9? I saw a post in these forums with a guy running a 280 w fs9 and the FPS were way in the 100s.

That Thermalright cooler has not been avail on Newegg for quite some time. What other respectable sites are out there that sell it?

The 120 is still around, but I haven't delt with any of the current vendors. Frames per second are 100% CPU dependent once a user had an adequite Vcard "conduit" for that CPU data. The 88 is plenty of "pipe." Any card beyond the 8800GT will provide no benefit. That 100FPS had Nothing to do with the 280. "Stability" is not an issue with any of these vcards.

>Frames per second are 100% CPU dependent once a user had an>adequite Vcard "conduit" for that CPU data. The 88 is plenty>of "pipe." Any card beyond the 8800GT will provide no benefit.>That 100FPS had Nothing to do with the 280. "Stability" is not>an issue with any of these vcards. If he wants to crank up the resolution and AA then he will benefit from a GTX 200 series card, even with CPU bound games. The other question is are you only going to run FS9 on this machine? If not then I would go for a higher end card than the 8800GT. I would also reconsider the chipset and may be go for a P45 or X48 based motherboard. Nvidia Gaming:ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA (Intel X48 chipset) BIOS 408Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 ExtremeOCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)EVGA GTX 280 FTW (177.92 Drivers)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP1SILVERSTONE 1200Watt DASILVERSTONE TJ09-BATI Gaming:ASUS Rampage Extreme BIOS 0501Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright True Black Ultra-120 eXtremeOCZ Intel Extreme Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 8.8)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP1LIAN LI PC-A70BPC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000WWork Laptop:Dell XPS M1710Intel Core 2 T7600G4GB DDR2 667Nvidia 7950GTX (512 Mb) 175.32 DriversX-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)Vista Ultimate/SP1

My intention is to run only FS9 at 1920x1200 on a two-monitor setup. I would like to crank up the AA full right in FS9 if I could, max weather distance, etc.Re-configured system:LIAN LI, Classical PC-A10 Silver Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Aluminum PC POWER & COOLING, Silencer

I forgot to add if I can not accomplish that on the 8800 maybe I need to step up to the 280.

I run 8XAA and 16XAF on a 42" at 19x10, plus a 19" at 12/10. FPS are the same on the 42 or the 19. I had a 260 for a bit. It does not support a second non-sli Vcard. I run a 3rd monitor from a second 8400 Vcard and the 2x0s deactivate the 2nd Vcard. Also, it does not support Vista's sleep function. It made no difference at all in anyhing FS related, it just disabled features I want to use (Like my 3re monitor and sleep). For FS, those are losers.

>I run 8XAA and 16XAF on a 42" at 19x10, plus a 19" at 12/10.>FPS are the same on the 42 or the 19. >>I had a 260 for a bit. It does not support a second non-sli>Vcard. I run a 3rd monitor from a second 8400 Vcard and the>2x0s deactivate the 2nd Vcard. Also, it does not support>Vista's sleep function. It made no difference at all in>anyhing FS related, it just disabled features I want to use>(Like my 3re monitor and sleep). For FS, those are losers.I don

Jerel,Are you assembling this yourself or are you purchasing it already assembled? If already assembled, from which merchant? I'm in the market to upgrade my PC as well. Thanks!Rushad

DJT, What settings are you using in FS? Do you have everything full right with your 280? That includes 100% AI. What type of frame rates are you getting? I don't need to see photos, if you can explain it by typing thats cool. I don't want to purchase this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143136 if I need to go to a 280. I know FS9andFSX are cpu dependent but I want consistency. When youre adding in scenery, AI, mesh, detailed weather from activesky landing in a airport like eham or kjfk youre taxing the system. I havent used the 8800 or 280 yet in person so i am trying to make a decision here.Sam, I appreciate your help but I need more than fs cant use anything more than a 8800... I need data and facts.Thanks,Jerel

I forgot to add this is what I am going with::# LIAN LI, Classical PC-A10 Silver Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Aluminum# PC POWER & COOLING, Silencer

>DJT, What settings are you using in FS? Do you have>everything full right with your 280? Jerel,No, not every option is to the right; there is no CPU out there that is going to allow you turn every option to its maximum setting in FSX. All you can do is shoot for a combination of components that will allow for a consistent frame rate, even with heavy weather effects.

DJT, regarding what you've seen in FS9 are you able to go everything right w the 280?

Nick, I am thinking FS9 primarily on my setup. Also, Battlefield2 and CallofDuty4. What are your thoughts regarding a FS9 setup and those other games? Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated. Jerel

Jerel,You just got a much better response from Nick than you did from me, so far from my experience with the ATI 4870X2, 8800 Ultra and the GTX 280 I would second that advice.That said if you

FS9 and FSX are 2 different animals.. the quad in that case is not going to help much other than being able to manually assign 3PD addons like weather engines and other programs you may wish to run along side FS9. You do not need a Ultra or 280 to run FS9 although either card would do the job quite nicely.The 280 is a good card on the right driver and it will scoot by the 8800 by a long shot in games other than FSX so if it is your desire to put together a system to play games as listed and perhaps a few new titles later I would take djt01's advice and go with the 280. Its definitely overkill for FS9 but in the long run it will most likely provide you a much more satisfying experience.

Nick,Thank you for your insight. I am leaning towards the 280 because I want this system to last for a little while. When the times comes that I do install FSX on the box I want to be able to enjoy and not have to take out the 8800 and spend more money. I'd rather spend a little more now and future proof the box per se. Battlefield 2 and CallofDuty4 will also go on this machine.I forgot ... one more question. Does having two monitors (specifically a 28" and a 22" viewsonic LCD) connected to a vid card (i.e. 8800 or the 280) put more strain on the card. I was thinking about doing a dual monitor setup and I forgot to mention that in the previous post.Thanks!JerelDJT, thanks for your reply also!