Sign in to follow this  
Bjoern

Influence of L2 cache on FSX? (Or: Q9300 vs Q9450)

Guest Nick_N

>>>If you remember from the simV thread it was not so much the>>FSB but what you were doing to the chipset and how it>>addresses the memory as you increase FSB. 420 is actually a>>"gear shift" point on many boards and I think the 975 was>one>>of them.. its been a while.>>I think not. Since my Ram must be running at the brink of its>capacity - it's quite a jump from 333 to 400 - I stopped>fiddling after I cracked that 401 Mhz wall.>>You may be able to hit 450 on that I must have read your post wrong... I thought you said you managed 427FSB? That would have been a heck of a clock for the 975 but I have heard it was done on a few gems.Get off the 1:1 ratio kick.. your getting into the better board now 5:6 is better above 400 and especially into the 450 range.. set CPU strap to 333stop by here if you have any questions.. http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=38

>You may be able to hit 450 on that You mean on the P5QL?Some people say the P43 has stripped down OC capabilites, but then again, I don't need to hit 450 FSB. FSB400 would already deliver a good punch in my estimations and it is defiantely possible.>I must have read your post wrong... I thought you said you>managed 427FSB? That would have been a heck of a clock for the>975 but I have heard it was done on a few gems.No, 400 was the highest FSB I could get on the 975x. Highest stable clock at all was 3500Mhz, but not at FSB400. (E6600 wall)>Get off the 1:1 ratio kick.. your getting into the better>board now 5:6 is better above 400 and especially into the 450>range.. set CPU strap to 333Exquise me? Bacon powder? ;) :DDo you want me to lock the CPU at FSB 333? Why?Or should I just keep FSB:Mem freq at 5:6 in general? Again, why?I've always seen 1:1 as the much more logical choice when the hardware could do it.P.S: Seeing your involvement in the development of GEX Europe makes me reconsider furtherly bugging you with questions. Each question more could postpone the release of this amazing looking add-on. :D

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Guest D17S

As you know, the Q9300 has that 7.5 multiplier. The biggest improvement in FS is Still about obtaining the highest CPU clock possible. That's Always the 1st consideration. After that, a tweaker can go NuTs chasing that last 10%. Job 1 is to maximize the CPU clock. It's just multiplication. At a 400Mhz FSB, it'll be 7.5 x 400 = 3.0Ghz. If you can get to 450, that's 7.5 x 450 = 3.375Ghz. That's about as far as any P35 (x38/43/48/et al) will want to go. 3.3 will be ~ your top clock with that CPU. It will provide very similar performance to the E6600 at 3.6, but the quad will help. It's not the Q66's 9 x 400 = 3.6Ghz or that $1000 Q9650 at 4.0Ghz . . . but it Will run FSX just fine.There's no real advantage to running a faster FSB. 99% of its performance contribution is Only to drive the CPU clock. Actually, 400Mhz is more stable and easier on the northbridge, but here we are. Also, at a 450 FSB the memory Must be able to run at 450 x 2 = 900mhz. The 5/6 divider mentioned will drive the memory 20% faster to 1080Mhz. Is your ram rated to run that fast? If so, go for it. It's always great fun to tweak . . . even if it won't help FS noticeably. All the rest is just ubertweaking for that last 10%. As I said, great fun for the computer hobbiest. Like a lot of us here, my computer is one of my favorite toys too. And speaking of ubertweaking, try playing with Memset's Performance Level to ramp ram latencies up and down. You can change it in real time. No need for a reboot. Check the latency changes with Everest then go fly. See if you can tell AnY in-game difference. This is simply a way for a user to answer the question for himself, "Does all this latency/memory tweaking matter?" Let us know how it goes. The Penryn has been advertised as having a slight clock for clock advantage over the 65nms. Maybe the Q93 at 3.3 might be about equal to the Q66 at 3.6 . . . but still that 450FSB. Ouch. In any case, it's still a good CPU that should get you through Nehalem.

Guest Nick_N

>>>Get off the 1:1 ratio kick.. your getting into the better>>board now 5:6 is better above 400 and especially into the>450>>range.. set CPU strap to 333>>Exquise me? Bacon powder? ;) :D>>Do you want me to lock the CPU at FSB 333? Why?>Or should I just keep FSB:Mem freq at 5:6 in general? Again,>why?>>I've always seen 1:1 as the much more logical choice when the>hardware could do it.>>>>>P.S: Seeing your involvement in the development of GEX Europe>makes me reconsider furtherly bugging you with questions. Each>question more could postpone the release of this amazing>looking add-on. :DLOL!Well, actually I am quite tied upAnd no, that

No one, that is a sane mind that is, will blindly take>an Internet advice without verifying and getting further>educated. Good call, the reason for a forum is to get opinions - at least I thought so. I almost always go elsewhere to get more opinions on tech stuff.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest D17S

The - Whole Point - of all of this is to coax a user toward gaining their own independent ability to understand. Personally, I have an entirely different approach to all this than is appearing here. I - Don't - want to be simply believed. First, it satisfies no personal need. But more importantly, it defeats the - Whole Point - .BTW, no magic occurred between the 975 and the P35. The P35 was basically a flop. Even today, the 975 will run side by side with a P35 at comparable FSB speeds. Same with the Penryn. We are hearing this same 975 v P35 "revolutionary" sales pitch about Nehalem. Maybe it will be different this time. Sure hope so. Now, do you believe a word I said? Good! (See paragraph one.)

Guest simjunkie

"simply believed"???Boy, you are an arrogant son-of-a-gun. Nick has credentials that wipe the floor with yours, Sam. You don't "simply believe" an expert like that. You thank the gods that you (or anyone else) has access to his expertise and that he is willing to give his advice away for free. The man has advanced degrees, many years of experience, and a resume that absolutely qualifies him to advise folks as well if not better than any person anywhere! If only you would show more respect than you do, I would take your advice too. But guess what-you've lost your credibility with me. You know better than Phil Taylor? No. And you don't know better than Nick either. -jk

Guest Nick_N

>The - Whole Point - of all of this is to coax a user toward>gaining their own independent ability to understand.>Personally, I have an entirely different approach to all this>than is appearing here. I - Don't - want to be simply>believed. First, it satisfies no personal need. But more>importantly, it defeats the - Whole Point - .>>BTW, no magic occurred between the 975 and the P35. The P35>was basically a flop. Even today, the 975 will run side by>side with a P35 at comparable FSB speeds. Same with the>Penryn. We are hearing this same 975 v P35 "revolutionary">sales pitch about Nehalem. Maybe it will be different this>time. Sure hope so. Now, do you believe a word I said? Good!>(See paragraph one.) Hey ProfessorThis is not high school, college, grad school or prepThis is a forum where people come to get answers and solid opinions and they want it fast so they can make TRULY INFORMED decisions. Yes, they should be smart and check things out however they do not expect to find someone who comes off like a PhD, posts a bunch of crap they cant tell is science or science fiction

Come on guys. I think both you and simjunkie are way out of line, leave the guy alone for pete's sakeIt's about time it stoppedRhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nick_N

>"simply believed"???>>Boy, you are an arrogant son-of-a-gun. Nick has credentials>that wipe the floor with yours, Sam. You don't "simply>believe" an expert like that. You thank the gods that you (or>anyone else) has access to his expertise and that he is>willing to give his advice away for free. The man has>advanced degrees, many years of experience, and a resume that>absolutely qualifies him to advise folks as well if not better>than any person anywhere! >>If only you would show more respect than you do, I would take>your advice too. But guess what-you've lost your credibility>with me. You know better than Phil Taylor? No. And you>don't know better than Nick either. >>-jk>>>>>>Let it go pleaseYou may be one of the few that saw my background when it was posted some time ago however I do not want anything like this to go on past what I had to sayMace is correctBjoern has his information and its time to let this thread dieGood luck with your future hardware choices and FSX fun, and I do mean that to everyone, including Sam

Guest simjunkie

I apologize for speaking so harshly. I don't agree with Sam. I choose not to take the path he advises. And here's why (aside from the attitude):Plain vanilla FSX (w/acceleration) runs just fine on 'budget' HW. In all it's mustard-colored glory. If you want all the addons to really make this sim look good and still want to run smooth and clear as much as you can it's gonna take top end HW and tweaking. And seeking the advice of QUALIFIED experts.If this was Xplane there wouldn't be any performance issues (I know, I have both, and Xplane just screams on my system). But it's a mess and the more effort (and yes, sometimes money) that is put into it the better it will be.-jkEdit: didn't catch me in time Nick, I'll say no more about this

Guest D17S

Question Everything. Everything! Then, as a component of one's independent evaluation, gauge the security/veracity of any source by its echo.

Guest Nick_N

>So did Bjorn ever get his question answered?>>It's hard to find an opinion, I have to wade through all the>muck...Yes and he has his hardware ordered

So did Bjorn ever get his question answered?It's hard to find an opinion, I have to wade through all the muck...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Nick_N

>So did Bjorn ever get his question answered?>>It's hard to find an opinion, I have to wade through all the>muck...Yes and he has his hardware ordered