Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

AFCAD Woes

Well after a full reinstall and many, many hrs of downloading stuff to complete my FS library, I much to my grief figured out just what was causing my earlier problems.When using Lee Swordy

>>When I choose the airport from the FS Menu, it dumps me >right back at the very airfield I was at when I tried to >select another airfield. >Sometimes it appears to have selected the airfield, but, as you say, dumps you back where you were. The fix that worked for me was to select the New Search button on the goto airport dialogue box before selecting the required airport.I am assuming that you have already forced FS to rebuild its file indexes, either by restarting FS or by going into the scenery library and clicking OK.Hope this helps--Bryn

Are you using the latest version? (1.3.2 as I remember). Earlier versions could sometimes corrupt files.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

JP,From day one, I've never been able to get AFCAD NOT to do this. My system reacts exactly the same as you described and I've never been able to get any answers as to why it does this. Because of several emails from others having experienced this effect, I assumed that it was a condition or characteristic of Lee's program. It is simply why I never picked Lee's program as one of my Bear Picks. I recently purchased and installed LAGO's Honolulu scenery package and with it comes a set of AFCAD files for the Honolulu airport, but as soon as I installed the AFCAD files that was the end of starting at ANY Hawaii based airports. The only way I could get to Hawaii was by starting in San Francisco, then by using the default map, I could use my mouse to drag the aircraft ICON over to the islands. From there I had to set up a "Saved Flight" to get my starting point at any Hawaiian airport, but I found this unacceptable and have removed all AFCAD files because of this. To be completely frank, I assumed that this is the way AFCAD works and from that I assumed that everyone experienced this problem and some people were just willing to put up with it as a characteristic of the AFCAD program. Based on the statements from some of the posters here, it sounds like I maybe wrong!Bear!

Hi Bear,I was beginning to worry that I was just going crazy there, I emailed Lee and he sent me back a rather lengthy email saying it was not the fault of AFCAD it was the fault of add-on scenery, that add-on program from LAGO, FSSA I think? And one or two other bugs, but the problem with that is, I don

Guest Jack

Bear,FYI, using AFCAD on my rig has been faultless from the first version to the current version. IMHO,anyone who claims to understand the idiosynchrosies of individual computers will probably claim to have "the secret of the repeating perfect golf swing" and a complete understanding of feminine logic!Hope you can work it out, as it is truly a great boon to the enjoyment of MSFS.Best regards,JackD

Thanks guysYou have pointed me into the right direction to fix my fs2002 woes. I have whole areas that I cannot access and it has been driving me nuts.Looks like I might finally be able to get a handle on this and get fs2002 back to its correct configuration.

I have installed the LAGO honolulu with the supplied AFCADs, and have made seveal mods of my own to create parking at the Hickam AFB side of the airport, and I have no problem, this over several updates of AFCAD. I'm running on Win98 if that makes any difference. Besides Phnl I have also modded phli, phny, phko, phmk, pjon, phto, and jrm and all works fine. Also I have AFCAD installed under fs2002 folder, if that makes any diff. I have plenty HA, AQ, and WP AI flights buzzing around,with a few AMC as well. (phko is addon scenery, all the others are default ms fs2k2.) I also have FS Genesis HI land class/mesh installed.scott s..

I'm glad to hear that others are using the AFCAD program without the difficulties that I and others have experienced, even though it now adds creedence to those that critizied me for not picking Lee's files...hehehe! :-lolBecause I do have two computers here at home that are dedicated to my sims (FS2000-FS2002-CFS2 on one and CFS3-MSTS on the other) I tried a clean install of FS2002 on my system for CFS3-MSTS. My flight sim system is a Compaq 7110 (AMD 1.3Ghz, 256MB ram, GeForce2, WindowsME) while my CFS3-MSTS system is a AMD 1.2Ghz, 512MB ram, GeForce2, Windows98SE. After installing an AFCAD file per Lee's instructions, into the clean install of FS2002 on my second system, all airport starting points contained in that file disappeared from the default airport menu. It seems that my two system configurations are incompatable with Lee's program, so there are simply some system configurations that appear to be a problem while others do not have issues. So it seems that I'm one of those unlucky ones that unfortunately can't use AFCAD.Bear!

Guest Captain Barfbag

AFCAD works fine for me, but something funny is going on with some systems. It sounds like we may have a quorum to try debugging this. Since this appears to be related to the individual computer, I'd guess it has something to do with disk storage setups. (I do systems and software integration for a living, by the way, but I've never seen the AFCAD code.) AFCAD is such a valuable tool that this will be worth the effort. What we're looking for is the common factor among all the users who see this.So, everyone who has this problem please check your system so we can find the problem. The typical variables are CPU type, OS, File System (FAT, FAT32, NTFS etc.) Are you putting FS2002 on the C: drive, on a secondary (D:) drive, or do you have virtual drive names on the same physical disk? Where do you have the AFCAD executable? Are you using the "standard" path to FS or did you modify where you put it on installation? Are you using any disk compression software? Is the area where you have FS visible from a network, i.e., "shared?"Also, when you save back the AFCAD file, do you have FS running?

Guest Captain Barfbag

Please don't fault Lee on this. He does this out of the goodness of his heart, probably from his home. This really, REALLY looks like some curious interaction between the OS, the disk I/O system and AFCAD where the writeback of the scenery file gets corrupted. It's one of those things that works great on 90-95% of all the systems out there, but not on yours or Bear's. For someone like Lee, all he's got to go on is the info in this thread. He can't bring up his own system and test this, because it doesn't fail on his system. And I'd be he doesn't have the resources to configure a system like yours to test it either.I run XP on an Intel 1.8 with a half-gig of RAM. I've got no problems with it, but why not? I dunno. If enough people that have this problem respond with system information (thanks, by the way) then maybe we can say the problem is specific to some AMD processors, or to ME, or maybe to something else. Just knowing that you've got FS in the "same old place" really rules out a number of possibilities.Do you get any errors when you write back from AFCAD? You should get a message if FS is running, but that's transparent. Sometimes I get a second message indicating an error. When I get that, I close FS and re-save the file. Works every time.What happens if you save a file, close AFCAD and then restart AFCAD and try to read back the airports? Can AFCAD read the file, but not FS2002? That would be a clue, either way.

Guest tascaso

Again, Lee has done a tremendous job on this program and I am running an AMD XP2100 and a Via chipset and WinXP, no problems with AFCAD here, but there are systems that will and who know maybe the next system I build will BURP and cause me grief.Best of LuckTony

Guest Captain Barfbag

Check the thread "Can't open some airports in flight planner" in the Traffic Tools forum. At least one user has found an incompatability with a non-FS utility. Removing the utility cured his "AFCAD Woes." I don't have either AFCAD Woes or this utility, but could this be the problem with anyone else?