Sign in to follow this  
awf

FS9 Crash During Flight: Possible Memory Leak?

>Hi,>>So far I like the 757 a lot - PSS has certainly done a great>job with this aircraft.>>Today, on my flight from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, while>starting my descent, my flightsim crashed and I received a>popup from windows stating that "Windows- Virtual Memory>Minimum Too Low">>In my windows settings I have a "custom" page filing selected>and my intial size is 1536 and maximum set at 3072. Flight>Simulator must have exceeded 3072, which leads me to ask>whether or not the PSS 757 has a memory leak.>>Has anyone else experienced a similiar problem?>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/155390.jpgMost of the times related to a corrupt page file of windows just set your page size at o reboot and set the new size and your done ;-)Andr

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Greetings,I've also experienced same problem with the PSS 752, I start FS9 normally running at 500MB page file (virtual memory).. my top is 1.5Gb and after 2 hours flying the PSS 757 virtual memory is over 800mb and rising after 3 hours it has reach almost 1.2gb indicated on the page file.. Initially I thougth the problem was being caused by ActiveSky but.. False Alarm.. the problem is being caused by the PSS 752.. I did last night a flight MIA-LHR on the PSS 772 and never got virtual memory over 600mb (9 hour fligth).. and even using 3rd party software (winamp, servinfo... etc).. and software performance was great.. I've also tested this problem with the PMDG 747, 737, Lvl-D 767 and PSS 772 and still I only see it on the PSS 757.. In AvA (joinava.org) some people also had experienced this issue.. And still haven't found a thread with solution to this problem..best wishesLuis

I get the out of memory error when flying this plane. Is that a similiar problem. It always happens about 2-3 hours into flight. Just to be sure it wasn't a scenery error, I ran the same route with a different plane and had no troubles. When flying a shorter route with 757-200, I don't get problem.

Did anyone ever figure this problem out.. There is nothing worse than flying a 2 hour flight, be on Final Approach, and WHAMO, CTD.. This plane is useless to me right now because Im not willing to fly it until this issue is resolved.. Can someone help me here? What is the fix to this "memory error" problem that has my 757 grounded ? If there wont be a fix, let me know so I can uninstall the 757 and get on with other products..

I have not been able to reproduce any type of memory leak issues on my PC, and the developers have not had issues either. At this time I do not have a solution for you, but I will try again to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Same thing here cant complete a flight without getting out of memory error.I notice that when i fly any of my other third party planes my memoryusage is around 55 to 65% the pmdg747 is around 65 to 70% and the PSS 757 is always over 90% dont understand why it uses so much ram.Any ideas??

By any chance do you guys have Ultimate Terrain installed?

Dennis,With the greatest respect to you, this error is not caused by Ultimate Terrain. I have the now famous " .. Flight Simulator has run out of available memory ..... " error message a lot with the PMDG 747.Whilst this is not the place to discuss the PMDG product, it seems that this error can be caused by scenery and terrain conflicts and not by any single product presence.I have fully defragged my hard drive with Disk Keeper 10, a good powerful utility and still I get this error from time to time. To be fair, it has not appeared recently so it may well be to do with drive space (I have a 250GB, 7200rpm drive - loads of room left and I can't think why there would be a drive issue here) but I have now purchased a second drive onto which I will be installing FS9 so that there "should" be no drive space issues.To be fair, aircraft systems such as those supplied by PSS and others, are, by their very nature, complex software - and as such there will be issues like this. Of course its not much help if you suffer from those issues.I hope to find the complete answer to my PMDG woes sometime, but if I do, then there is a good chance, I would have thought, that any such issues with the PSS 757 would be near to a solution as well.Good luck.Take care,Lee

I get a CTD as well w/ the PSS 757, no other addon crashes FS9. I do have ultimate terrain as well. I will deactivate my sceneries and try to find a conflict if it exists. By the way the CTD's occur more with v1.2.Todd

I found the problem i was having was with some Scenery i had for Taiwan and simflyers so i uninstalled all these scenerys and i havent had a problem since. I think the taiwan scenery had a memory leak and the simflyers airports are memory hogs anyways. All seems to be all good now

Well I don't think there is necessarily a problem with those sceneries but disabling the sceneries works because they free up more RAM for the plane to use. You could probably fly around those sceneries forever in a Cessna and never have a problem.So really I don't think it's totally fair to say that the scenery alone is causing the problem, or necessarily the plane itself either. Maybe we are running up on the limit of what FS9 can handle and designers will have to start writing software that is both functional and easy enough on the resources to accomodate other addons as well.Ruahrc

Any progress with this issue? I still have CTD's on approach with this aircraft, regardless of scenery.Chris Smith

I, too, have started having CTD with this aircraft. I had flown about four flights with it with no problem. I tried flying from KSEA to KSFO this weekend, and CTD in flight. Tried it three more times, with same result. Here is what I have:Dell XPS 1.86 GHZ dual core processor (essentially 3.2 GHZ combined)2 GB of RAMNVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 video cards (dual 2GHZ, giving total of 4GHZ)FlyTampa KSEA sceneryTook off from rwy 34R, flew SEA ELMAA J589 RBG.GOLDN4 route. It always CTD when I either approach or are leaving the ELMAA intersection.I have done everything mentioned in the top post of how to configure your computer, and everything is up to specs.I think there is definitely some type of memory leak, as it is happening repeatedly. I even diabled my ActiveSky weather, and same result. With my computer, it should easily be able to handle this, but cannot. I have no other addon scenery in that area. HELP!!! I really love this aircraft, and want to continue to fly it, but cannot because of this problem.

OK, I tried to fly the KSEA to KSFO flight again, with the route stated above, with the task manager on. My PF usage remained constant at 936-980 MB. My CPU usage was at 50-54%, with a few spikes to 60-70, but then immediately back down to 53%. When I got near to ELMAA again, another CTD. It showed a spike in CPU usage to about 60%, but nothing extraordinary, and higher ones earlier had not caused the CTD. I then flew a flight from KORD to KATL, with default airports. No problem the whole way. I am beginning to wonder if it is an AIRAC problem. I am using NavData Airac 7-05 for PSS. Could someone else that has the FlyTampa KSEA airport and NavData Airac 7-05 fly the exact route I did, off rwy 34R, then direct ELMAA and let me know if they get a CTD? I know that AIRAC problems with the LAGO Maddog MD82 can cause a CTD. I am wondering if that is what is happening here.

I am more convinced it is an AIRAC problem now. I flew the 757 from KSAN to KSFO tonight, both FlyTampa airports, with no problem. I noticed that the info for KSFO was wrong, showing the wrong frequency for my landing rwy of 28R. I had to manually enter the correct one, as the one listed in the CPU was wrong. I am strongly suspecting that in my flight above, something is wrong with the ELMAA intersection that is causing the CTD. Can someone fly the route I listed above and see if they get the same thing? Providing you have NavData AIRAC 7-05 and FlyTampa KSEA, so we are comparing apples to apples. I don't think it is the FlyTampa scenery, or their other two would cause similar problems, and they are not. Also, ELMAA is a distance from KSEA, so the airports impact should be minimized by then.

OK, did some further testing to test my theory. If it truly is a Navdata problem with the PSS data, the same result should happen with other PSS products flying that same route, right? I flew (tried) from KSEA to KSFO with the same route listed in my previous post, with the PSS 777. Same result. When I got near to ELMAA, a CTD. Seems my theory might be correct. Any chance PSS can work with NavData to look into this? Thanks.

Interesting theory, Greg. I have long ago given up on the PSS757 as unusable due to the memory problems (and the "upcoming" v1.3 patch) and do recall that I upgraded the NavData with the stuff from Navigraph too.A few things I observed, however:Crashing (OOM) for me seemed to depend more on flight length than navigation. I could make it to St. Louis from SEA but not further on to DFW. My attempts at SEA-DTW also failed. I did, however, manage to complete the SEA-DTW flight in the older PSS A320 with no problems. To the best of my knowledge, all PSS products (even the older Airbus ones) use the same Navdata files. Can PSS confirm this?Have you tried flying a flight of similar length to SEA-SFO but in a different direction? Maybe SEA-DEN or SEA-YEG or something. That would try to address whether or not it is a navdata issue specific to the ELMAA wpt?P.S.- does your sim crash exactly at the same point every time, or just when in the general vicinity of ELMAA? I have noticed that whenever I had OOM- it was not ever at a specific point, but instead it was always around a general area. Disabling all scenery in this area did not seem to help, either.Ruahrc

Hello,I doubt any one from PSS will revert to you with something consistent, cause it is gauge programming, and apart from Alex who coded the gauge I am not sure any one else knows the code...But, I will fly the given route not later than today, and will let you know if I got the CTD at ELMAACyrille de LattreAsus P5B deluxe WIFI Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAM2 PC667Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Meg PCIeWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

>Interesting theory, Greg. I have long ago given up on the>PSS757 as unusable due to the memory problems (and the>"upcoming" v1.3 patch) and do recall that I upgraded the>NavData with the stuff from Navigraph too.>>A few things I observed, however:>>Crashing (OOM) for me seemed to depend more on flight length>than navigation. I could make it to St. Louis from SEA but>not further on to DFW. My attempts at SEA-DTW also failed. I>did, however, manage to complete the SEA-DTW flight in the>older PSS A320 with no problems. To the best of my knowledge,>all PSS products (even the older Airbus ones) use the same>Navdata files. Can PSS confirm this?>>Have you tried flying a flight of similar length to SEA-SFO>but in a different direction? Maybe SEA-DEN or SEA-YEG or>something. That would try to address whether or not it is a>navdata issue specific to the ELMAA wpt?>>P.S.- does your sim crash exactly at the same point every>time, or just when in the general vicinity of ELMAA? I have>noticed that whenever I had OOM- it was not ever at a specific>point, but instead it was always around a general area. >Disabling all scenery in this area did not seem to help,>either.>>RuahrcRuahrc,It crashes in the general vicinity of ELMAA, not at the same point every time. Generally within 10-20 mi of ELMAA, mostly before, but once after I passed ELMAA.

Hello,I have just flown the leg, and actualy I am stil flying it online, and till now, no CTD at or around ELMAA.Latest AIRAC installe, 757, UT and tons of scenery, and flying in VCCyrille de LattreAsus P5B deluxe WIFI Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAM2 PC667Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Meg PCIeWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

Hmmmm, there goes my theory. Don't know what else can be causing it, as my computer performance is fine while using it, even approaching ELMAA.

I flew several flights with the PSS 757 over the weekend, with no problem. It seems the only problem I have is around KSEA for some reason. It must somehow be related to FlyTampa KSEA scenery, but no idea what it is, as the CTD doesn't occur until ELMAA, which is at least 20-30 mi from KSEA. Guess I will just avoid that airport with this bird. Anyone else that has FlyTampa KSEA able to fly this bird there, especially around the intersection ELMAA?

Yes , yes,...Cyrille de LattreAsus P5B deluxe WIFI Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAM2 PC667Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Meg PCIeWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

I just did the same flight with the Wilco CRJ, and got the same CTD by ELMAA. It is not the PSS products doing this. Will investigate elsewhere. Thanks for the input, guys.

Sign in to follow this