Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

How much automation?

I am seriously considering FS2Crew, but before doing so I have one question. I current use FDC, and many of the checklists etc. begin automatically depending on phases of the flight. Is this also the case with FS2Crew or does one need to interact all the time with the various pop-up windows, which to me seems somewhat unrealistic?Any other feedback on how easy the programme is to use, without distracting from the job at hand - flying the aircraft - would be much appreciated.Best regards,Stuart Hyett

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hello Stuart,In FS2Crew you are the Captain and the Pilot Flying, except when using Monitored Approach procedures in which case you become the Pilot Monitoring or PNF. You can also let the FO perform the takeoff; it works quite well if you're in still air.That said, your job is to call for the checklists at the appropriate time, which is realistic.However, sometimes the call for a checklist is tied into a command (ie., Flaps Up, after takeoff checklist), which is also realistic.The 737 version of FS2Crew is modelled on a set of real-world 737 specific callouts and procedures. If you own Bulfer's books, you can actually see them. That specialization is what separates FS2Crew from other programs.Not to mention that FS2Crew can interface with 3rd party addons like the PMDG 737 that use a lot of custom code -that's code not used in the FS9 SDKs. That's something that heavily restricts other programs that in a vague way are like FS2Crew. It really seperates FS2Crew from the crowd.As for ease of use: It varies from person to person. The learning curve for most is generally high, but once you learn all your scans and flows it becomes easy. It just takes practise.I recommend maximum use of the autopilot to start. Once the autopilot is on it makes it easier to make selections with the mouse.Hope that helps.There are lots of reviews on the FS2Crew website. I suggest you check them out.Cheers,Bryan