Sign in to follow this  
JET 1

A suggestion about destination weather info

Hello BryanOne of the features bothering me in FS9 is that you're not able to pull the weather (ATIS) for your destination until very late in the descent. Activesky and real weather on the net offer some workarounds, but I don't always use Activesky and real weather reports don't always match the ones in the sim even if you are using real weather processing.I wondered if it could be possible to get the FO to pull the weather for the destination - when commanded to do so or well before the descent begins? What I'm thinking about is some kind of an ACARS style paper sheet with a METAR on it. I believe the weather info is something that can be read from the sim at any given time from any airport?I haven't used the ATR version for a while, but didn't it have some kind of interaction with the dest weather?To take the idea a bit further, how about making the enroute wx command functional - you could punch in the ICAO code for any airport and it would pull the weather from FS?This would be a very useful feature and could be used for updates or new versions.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Kyle,An ACARS simulation is really a whole other program.There some pretty good ACARS addons you can get for FS9 that simulate ACARS. I don't have their names handy though, but there are a few of them.Have you tried using one of them?Chrs,Bryan

I'm not so much interested in ACARS simulation, I'd just like to get the destination weather in the convenient way I described. I mentioned ACARS only because it would seem unrealistic if the FO just pulled the weather on a sheet of paper somewhere - so why not say it came from the ACARS printer ;-).Being a simmer with a long FS experience, I prefer not to "bloat" my installation with too many separate programs, I like things as integrated as possible.It was just a thought. The benefits would be having destination weather info that represents the actual conditions in the simulator, without any additional programs.PS. any idea why my signature banner is showing that little extra thingy on the left side? only happens in AVSIM..

Hi Kyle,I hear what you're saying about not wanting to bloat FS too much... that's why when I designed FS2Crew I literally made it as part of the aircraft itself by using gauges that get added to the panel.cfg. It's not really a seperate program per se.We'll see about the simulated ACARS.Personally I wish PMDG and Level-D would model ACARS directy in the FMC, but that's for another day.Signature banner: Don't have a clue, sorry. Check you signature settings.Chrs,Bryan