Sign in to follow this  
JayDub

For those returning to FS9 from FSX

A good day to all,After a full month of tweaks and modifications and 50 plus hours in the logbook with FSX I have returned to FS9 as my primary program. I found that even with all the settings a max I could not duplicate the outstanding visuals of FS9 with all my texture and scenery mods. I could not find a single place in the FSX world that didn't look as good or better to me in FS9. This is one mans opininon and many will disagree. I found that even with max settings in FSX the visuals did not match my FS9 installation. This will save me some money as for the first time I have no desire to upgrade my computer to enhance performance of a new flight simulator program. Not a slam to FSX as it will remain on my computer to fly missions and do some bush flying into mountain lakes as the water textures are really outstanding. If we had seen a major upgrade of the ATC interface I might have stayed with it longer. Also I can keep up with both forums and keep tweaking away in my spare time. For those with wanting to get the most out of FS9 I am listing my top 15 favorite texture modifications. I'm sure that I have probably missed a few but anyone using these should be very happy with the outcome. My monitor is set at 1600x1200/32. No blurries, very good performance FPS average 30 very smooth with all sliders max out except for ground building shadows which are turned off. Also have MyTraffic 2004 running at 100 per cent....1. Koorbygen Lite - Autogen Enhancement a Must Have2. Nova Textures 1 2 and 33 Nova Gold Textures4. Rock and Moutain Textures - by G. Bishop 5. Woods and Desert Texure Replacement - by Marcel Aerni6. Soft Horizons - by John Cillis7. Ultimate Night Environment - by Maurice Renick8. FsGNight FS2002 Version - by the FSW Group9. Airport Environment Upgrades - by Chris Arrington10. USA Landclass - by FSGenesis11 TreeGen V1.0 by Feng Zhu12. Trees Release 3 - by Gerrish Grey13. New Halo bmp - by Brian Neitzel14. Waterzone - By Pete Drazzof , Lynn and Bill Lyons15. Runway Textures - From Bill Lyons Texture Files Add your own favorite weather textures, terrrain mesh files, addon airport scenery and you are in flight simulation heaven. JayDubAMD Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm Winchester CoreAbit AV8 - 3rd Eye VIA K8T800ATi X850XT 256MB AGP with ATi 6.60 DriversAntec 400W ATX 12V Power SupplyThermaltake A1172 CPU Heatsink1GB Corsair DDR 3200Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Thanks for this info... :-)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

You can tell this is happening more and more. Check the screen shot forum more FS9 shots appearing. Of course there a couple of hold outs showing the terrific frames they are getting flying in the bush. Glad I saved the 70 bucks by not buying it. There are still some add-on sceneries coming out.

I've also returned to FS9 after running FSX for the past 5 months. I still think that FSX has a lot of potential, but I hope the the DX10 upgrade will be the pancea that most hope it will be, or that there will be a performance-enhancing patch for the DX9 version. If DX10 performance is 'second verse, same as the first', then I imagine that FS9 will remain the community's sim of choice for the next 3 years. And I don't think that it would be all that bad, IMO. :-)

Just in case anyone missed it ....the TextureMaxLoad tweak really is a gem IMHOhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=2926&page=3

Guest GA Flyer

I agree. It was also the fact that ATC did not get the upgrade that I was hoping for that will keep me with FS9. No slam to FSX.

>I've also returned to FS9 after running FSX for the past 5>months. I still think that FSX has a lot of potential, but I>hope the the DX10 upgrade will be the pancea that most hope it>will be, or that there will be a performance-enhancing patch>for the DX9 version. If DX10 performance is 'second verse,>same as the first', then I imagine that FS9 will remain the>community's sim of choice for the next 3 years. And I don't>think that it would be all that bad, IMO. :-) Out of curiosity, is there a 3rd party addition for FS9, that puts water in the Jordanelle & Deer Creek reservoirs close to 36U (McDonald/Heber). Since you're familiar with the area, I thought I'd ask. Missing these has bugged me for years, as I always fly over them out of KSLC. FSX's newer data-bases has these lakes which makes me a bit bias.L.Adamson

JayDub,Thanks for the information. I noticed you did not have Ground Environment. Would anyone know if TreeGren V1.0 and Koorbgen Lite interfare or overwrite GE files? Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________