Sign in to follow this  
JRMurray

Getting even more enjoyment out of FS9

I was one of the first to buy FSX, but even with a powerful system, I just can't get the same degree of performance out of FSX with a level of graphics equal to what I have now with FS9.Since I've decided to stick with FS9 for the foreseeable future, I've starting doing some things that will keep FS9 fresh for me:* I've recent added a number of freeware airports--something I had never done before. Wow! Many of them I've added are very impressive! I've already added some great airport scenery from Russia (e.g., USSS and UNNT) and from Canada (e.g., CanUK scenery) and I'm looking to add more from the US and the UK.* I've added a number of freeware Russian aircraft to complement my favourite, the Project Tupolev Tu-154B. The aircraft are free and are easily as good as if not better than some payware aircraft on the market. There's something about Russian aircraft--so basic yet so powerful, and for the most part, they make great study sims. In addition, they are a lot of fun to hand-fly.* I've made it a point to have cold and dark set ups for all my aircraft--both GA and large commercial, even if this is unrealistic for some of the larger aircraft. I've learned more about aircraft systems this way than I have just reading about them.* I am revisiting many of my payware add-ons, installing them when necessary, to fly them again. Even older add-ons, such as Ready for Pushback 747 and Iron Knuckles DC-9, are enjoyable to fly around--especially when you pay close attention to proper procedures.* I'm using FSPassengers more and more for many of my flights--getting addicted to the atmosphere it creates and the attention to details and proper flying it demands.Anyway, doing these things is guaranteed to keep FS9 fresh for me for a long time yet.Cheers!Joel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Joel,I feel the same way as you do.I have MSFSX installed and running at 12-15 FPS mid-sliders.I still use MSFS9 80% of the time ..... just cannot break the habit! Waiting for all the FS9 payware releases to catch up FX. Adding and testing a little each day. Then there will be the "fixes" delays to get them all running properly. The process could IMO, take a year or so.I have enjoyed RFP Second Generation for years, but Ralph is now shutting it down! RFP is (always will be) a work of art. Great product and great support from Ralph (and his crew). That is one manual that has to be read, studied, understood, and practiced ... no shortcuts to flying RFP767! As pilot, you do the jobs of a three man crew.After a long RFP767 flight, when the nosewheel is just about to settle down upon landing and you apply reverse thrust for the roll out ..... what a relaxing moment it is. I pressure is finally off. You really have to "know" all the systems details to do a good job with this aircraft.LevelD767 running great in FS9. I expect it will, IMO, suffer a severe frame rate loss in FX. If it does, it will not be flyable.I just purchased Dreamfleet's Baron58XP for FS9... it's great!FS9 is alive and well here .... for quite some time.Best Regards,

Hmmmm, interesting! I installed FSX some time ago and was able to get it working exactly ONCE !!! It hasn't worked since. Now I fly with FS9 and like it (at least it works.):-8 :-violin

Yeah..I am in the same boat. I have rediscovered VATSIM. FS9 in VATSIM with all the addons is real as it gets.'I do fly FSX (night flying over water) sometimes using the aircrafts that I have ported over. I agree, Its going to take a year or two before that becomes stable. I can see DX10 upgrade for FSX being announced somewhere around the 3rd or the 4th quarter next year...and another 6 months after that before addon vendors catch up. I mean the good ones. The silly ones try to beat the market by putting out crap. The early addons so far, particulalry the sceneries are shabby.The addons for FSX I am looking forward to is the Ultimate terrain. The good airport scenery vendors like Fly Tampa, flightscenery are in trouble....so far, no solution found. That pretty much nails it, after the performance issue. I have it in the status of "Its a prototype". Has promises.BTW..anyone have an idea why FSX would be such a dog around cities? even with the AI turned down to 0, even with autogens turned down? I never understood that. Oh well....Manny