Sign in to follow this  
I132

Track IR Opinions in FS9

Heres a question. Will TrackIR make you motion sick?I cant play first person shooters because the movement gives me inner ear problems. Dont know why, but I understand this isnt uncommon. I had a fresnel lens device I used for a short time that did the same thing in FS, though I have never had that problem with any flight simulation.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

I love mine. I have had the Track IR - 3 for about 2 years or so. It makes flying from the virtual cockpit more immersive. You can practice your traffic scan and in the pattern you can look to the numbers and check your visual refs much easier. I don't fly with out it. No real performance hit. I have to FS 9 computers and use the second one with a friend at times and I think I want to get a second 1. It makes a world of difference.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince

I've never had an issue with it, but we do have a 30 day return policy.

Guest TRK3586

Just got my TrackIR 4 today, and am having some issues setting it up to my liking, but I think it is absolutely fabulous. I know now why people love VC's. I did a take-off roll in the LDS 767 for the first time with TrackIR in the VC and I was amazed. I could naturally look around the cockpit and up at the overhead so easily!!! I love it so far, aside from my setup problems...Tim

You need to simply be patient until you break yourself from some 'bad habits' of moving your head around as you did in the 2D or VC without it. It's just a whole new way of 'being inside FS'.Try widening the dead zones initially, but I think you want a more precise setting within a week or two. Also use the 'precision' mode until you get more used to it.Literally, it took me about 2-3 months before I became really comfortable, but now it is like a 'second skin', and the more sensitive settings the better now.

Guest TRK3586

Hey thank for the tips...My main problem is that I can't seem to position it on the top of my monitor so that when I hold my head naturally and comfortable, I'm not looking up at the overhead. I have to noticeable tilt my head down just be looking straight ahead.

As far as 'head tilt' goes, sometimes you can 'fake it out', and 'center' as you are looking up.I use a headset while flying, so am able to tilt the headset 'downward' a bit to help what you describe. You can do the same with a hat.You'll learn some tricks along the way. ;)

>>Why is it not so useful for the big birds? That's mostly>all>>i fly.>>When I'm flying an airliner (I moslty fly the PMDG 747 and LVD>767) I'm adding/deleting entry's into the CDU and playing with>the MCP. I don't like having to hold my head still while I'm>trying to fine tune a knob.This is the most useful add on for the big birds. The trick is to have a button on your joystick for the enable toggle hotkey( usually F9).So, when looking around the VC and, say, wanting to change altitude in auto pilot, you get the altitude panel in your view andthen hit the F9 button. Your head can now move all over the place but the cockpit view stays where you have it ( while you change the altitude ),until you hit the F9 button again.Simple and very effective.I am amazed at the number of serious flight simmers who do not use or even know about trackir. I cannot contemplate flying without it.

I have a FS2004 "surround system" using multiple computers and monitors running Wideview in the basement. It provides 3 monitors for the front views and two montiors on each side, plus a couple for the instrument panel. However since I bought the TrackIR 4 Pro at the AVSIM convention in August, I haven't flown it that much. With the Track IR, I feel the same sense of immersion and realism as with the other system, but startup is so much easier.It is by far the best Flight Sim accessory, I own. If you spend some time with internet price search engines you should be able to find it online for $140~$150.Alan

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince

and continue to enjoy.... ;)