Sign in to follow this  
windycloud

Interesting post found on Airliner.net - performance boost.

Someone showed me this interesting post. I figured I'd copy it to here. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it works well as claimed. Original is here: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviat...ead.main/99078/Hi everyone! I would like to start this off by telling you that i have found a real fix to your framerate problems!!! Now personally i have had a framerate increase of 20 to 25% on my rig.This is what i run onIntel Pentium 4 3.40Ghz 64HT processor4GB RAM320GB 10,000Rpm HD19" Dell Flat PanelDual Nvidia 7950 Cards with SLI technology.The solution to improving your framerates is .NET FRAMEWORK 3.0 all windows PC's run on this programm which doe simportant CPU RAM work between the OS and the games etc. As some as you might know Vista is coming with this 3.0 version and XP was delivered with 1.0 and some people that upgraded run 2.0. + you will clean your registry with a great free programm and then your ready to go and i promise you will see a great improvement!Here is how it Works!!!! and Please follow carefully1. Download and install .NET framework 3.0 from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-8...&displaylang=enthen re-start your PC2. un-install the 1.1 .Net framework and NOT the 2.0 .Net Framework !! (Some of you might not have 2.0 so thats ok then just unistall 1.0 and NO YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET 2.0 FIRST!!)3. get Regvac and run it. ( This is a free programm and over a time of 5-10 minutes will clean your registry!) heres the link: http://superwin.swmirror.com/regvacz.exe4. Now DEFRAG your PC and you are ready to fly! to DEFRAG go to Start-Extras-Systemprograms-defragmentation and start it!Once you have done that you are ready to start off FS and see the difference!BTW i have heard of up to 45% improvements on some rigs.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As with all such suggestions, YMMV. There is no magical snake oil that will cause fps to jump by that factor on an already well tuned system. In order for an application to benefit from .NET framework it has to be coded with .NET in mind. FS9 doesn't need .NET to function, although some add-ons might and thus someone running the add-on hypothetically might see improvement.My general rule which is built on two decades worth of workstation, server and application support is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you're already getting over 25 fps with MSFS set up the way you want it, don't try to go after a few more. You may end up with something broken or something worse.Cleaning up the registry is another manner, but always--and I mean ALWAYS back up the registry before trying a cleanup application, especially freeware where you have no means of going after a vendor if your system is brought down. Let me tell you, backups will save your skin! When my old HD started to fail last year, the first thing that went was the registry. The O/S wouldn't even boot. My backup had me up in five minutes. I backup the registry after every hardware, software and Internet plugin install.This is a good thread regardless. I know some will try this and it will be interesting to see what people say. However, it's not a scientific suggestion in the sense that either one of these suggestions could help someone. They really should be done one at a time to measure what improvement may or may not take place.-John

That makes sense, John. I guess this will help FSX but not FS9? I was interested in improving the file loading performance in FS9. My FPS has no issue but the periodic loading of all the textures, AI plans, etc. etc. drags my PC down.But since FS9 doesn't use .NET I guess it won't help me at all.Jason

"That makes sense, John. I guess this will help FSX but not FS9? I was interested in improving the file loading performance in FS9. My FPS has no issue but the periodic loading of all the textures, AI plans, etc. etc. drags my PC down."You might also want to look at my post regarding filemon. My FS9 was really beginning to act up. It was stable, but stuttering like crazy after an hour or so of use. I traced the issue to a slow memory leak. I recalled a post where someone found that when MSFS couldn't find a file, it "hunted" down the file within the MSFS folder structure until it could find it. This caused a memory leak issue. Filemon allowed me to find out where MSFS was first looking for a file and move the file to that location. I found dozens of bitmaps that I had moved to the wrong folders over the years. Once I moved them to where MSFS expected to find them, the consistency of my MSFS performance went up a thousand fold. FPS didn't jump, but the memory usage went way down on long, extended flights.Also, remember I prefaced the comments above by suggesting some add-ons might use the .NET framework. It's worth a try if you have complex add-ons.-John

This has been previously discussed and is bonafide snakeoil. Do not, under any circumstances, uninstall any net framework components. Any program that needs them will immediately stop running. There are no system components updated by the 3.0 release that are needed by FS9.DJ

Complete crap, in my opinion.Neither FS9 nor FSX is a .NET application. The poster probably had a fubar'd system and installing the .NET framework did repair some stuff. It's the typical "placebo effect", often seen on badly maintained systems where installing or upgrading some system components can fix the broken stuff and result in a general improvement of system performance.Besides, FS9 was released YEARS before .NET 3 was even available. How could it ever make use of such components?

Can't vouch for the .NET part, but running a registry cleaner periodically does result in a noticeable performance improvement on my old rig in FS9. I use a payware one called Registry Medic. Between that and (1) running FSAutoStart (2) deleting the Macafee bloatware completely (3) and running AdAware frequently, I've added 4-5 fps in testing with Cloud9's KLAX, which is the most intense scenery I have.Frequent defrags and virus scans too, of course.John G.

.NET does nothing. I installed 3. If anything, it made things SLOWER.now i have some forsaken .net broadcaster process that runs - not part of 2.0

Well said, John.I was wondering how long it would be, before someone realised that it was the regstry cleanup and defrag, rather than .NET that was improving frame rates.RegardsKevin

I wouldn't recommend uninstalling Framework 1. I also don't believe this will magically give everyone a performance boost. Regular computer maintenance will though.Anyway, after installing Framework 3 and rebooting, go to Start > Run > C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727ngen.exe executequeueditemsC = Windows drive, change if neededA command prompt window will pop up, just let it do its thing, the window will disappear when it's done. After the next reboot, the optimization service will be set to manual instead of automatic. Which will result in mscorsvw.exe no longer consuming memory and more.More info: http://blogs.msdn.com/davidnotario/archive.../27/412838.aspx