Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTEK99

'Modules' in FS9/Modules -- Memory use?

Greets, all:I'm just curious whether or not various "inactive" modules in the FS9/modules folder take up any RAM when not in use.For example, if I have FSNavigator installed, but don't start it up in-sim (the only way to start it, obviously), is it still utilizing memory?I ask since I like to run FS9 as cleanly as possible and have no problems swapping modules in and out as use requires (I know I'd have to restart FS9 if I did this).Anyone know?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

They are loaded but they shouldn't take resources if the functions aren't used. Since they use FS space you can test it, watch FS9 resources with and without the module in the folder.Jos

Okay i maybe wrong but think this might be a close as possible which out looking at numbers and trying to calculate everything....Each DLL has an entry point DLLMAIN, which you generally use to hook flight sim or as most examples around do.. Using c++ as example here..Each module is loaded / called and the DLLMAIN is called and loaded.So.....Depending how much code you actully attach or call and run here will determain how much is used by each module.For example the module "refueler.dll" that we have written *Availiable free on AVSIM* used for fueling a fighter will create a public HINSTANCE object and hook flight sim to a HWND object.Then attach a WNDPROC to flight sims window message loop.after that it will run a loop along with flight sims and insert the required menu items when they are not there... uses "If not, then create" style...Anyway comes down to what each module has attached to it's entrypoint and what it is called and so on and how.Sorry if makes no sense, been hot and tiring day plus up for last few days with no sleep..**Because i dont need to know yet, I dont know is FlightSim will Load the *Whole* dll at once?? **BradMbradmATecps.com.au

>They are loaded but they shouldn't take resources if the>functions aren't used. Since they use FS space you can test>it, watch FS9 resources with and without the module in the>folder.>>Jos

Just confirmed it...every DLL in the modules folder is loaded and is taking a bite out of FS9's limited address space. That info oughtta help solve some of the OOM issues cropping up lately.I'm going to try cleaning out my modules folder and try a flight in the PMDG 744 that's been OOM on approach every time.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile