Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Time change in US 3 weeks early...this weekend

I guess our sims are going to be screwed up time wise for the next 3 weeks starting this weekend due to the goverments new energy bill that shifts daylight savings time 3 weeks early this year to this upcoming weekend. Plan your flights times accordingly as Europe's summer time does not kick in until April.

Eric 

You can either download a patch from Microsoft or adjust yoour computer's time manually.To avoid confusion European Summer time begins on Sunday 25 March 2007, not in April.

>To avoid confusion European Summer time begins on Sunday 25>March 2007, not in April.And, as usual, I'll forget it until late that Sunday evening :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

"You can either download a patch from Microsoft or adjust yoour computer's time manually."Or move to Arizona. We don't have to worry about it out here 'coz in the summertime, we want the sun to set as quickly as possible so it can cool off to a more comfortable 110 degrees after dark :)-John

LOL Like it cools off after dark...last summer I remember driving on the 202 at around 12:30AM and it was STILL awful! :-lol I had to run to the bar just to get more liquids in me!The weather here this week is awesome though.:)

Does anyone know if Dennis Thompson has updated his TimeZone 3.0 - for the 30+ changed time zones world wide?One thing which will make FS wrong is that while the United States and Canada start DST on the second Sunday in March - there are new Windows Time Zones because Mexico will stay on the old schedule of the first Sunday in April.(PS - just be glad you are not in the IT shop of a large worldwide company which used MS Exchange/ Outlook - it's been a long couple months)

I was not referring to the compuer itself...I already got that patch installed. FS9 won't change until the old date..that is what will be the problem.

Eric 

Does FS9 maintain its own time independently of computer/XP time?

Yes and no and depends.Flight Sim uses the GMT/UTC offset from your default flight.FlightSim reads the local time setting of your computer and applies the GMT offset it 'thinks' is correct.If you live in an area of the world which observes DST - such as here near Dallas - and you start FS the day DST starts - you will be an hour off.Because my computer OS GMT/UTC offset will now be -5 not -6 when the computer clock changes.My default flight is set to be -6 because of the the date of the year saved in the file. FlightSim loads the default flight as the LOCAL TIME on the computer at the time.This is why we have to resave our default flight after DST changes locally. And why when we load a flight not in our time zone - GMT/UTC is not set correctly in FS.Pretty much everything in FS is referenced by GMT/UTC - AI flight schedules, time zones for various locations.FS does not make variations in these elements on the fly for the day of the flight sim session - it comes off the GMT/UTC setting when the sim starts, or when you change it within a flight.We can make changes in the way FS offsets time with scenery .BGL files - such as those Dennis Thompson created for FS2002 and FS2004.However, Dennis' TimeZone3.0 requires that you make some files active at certain times and some inactive. The install included in FSRealtime includes a handy batch file to make those updates for you. I run it the first of every month.

>>Or move to Arizona. We don't have to worry about it out here 'coz in the summertime, we want the sun to set as quickly as possible so it can cool off to a more comfortable 110 degrees after dark :)-John<

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD