Sign in to follow this  

Lock ups???

I recently upgraded to an Athlon 2800+ from an Athlon 2100+ but am getting lock ups now after about 30 minutes of simming. These lockups never used to happen. I wonder if, with the new CPU, the system is getting too hot. I upgraded with a special fan and heatsink designed for Athlon CPUs 2200+ on up, a heatsink that is copper-based. Also, I used all of the paste that came with the heatsink, it put all of the paste on the bottom of the top of the CPU just before I placed the heat sink over it. This paste I am talking about came in a small syringe and I think it is designed to dissipate heat. Now, these lockups only occur when I am using FS2002 and not with the computer in general.My system specs areAthlon 2800+ (2.25hz)Asus A7V8X KT-400 300 watt power supply512 333mhz SDRAMWD 80MB hard driveNVidia GeForce 4200 (128Mb)This same system with the 2100+ never locked up...An ideas? Did I use too much paste? If so, how much was I supposed to have used?Robb

Guest Lobaeux4

I'd check the temp of your system and CPU, you usually can do this through the BIOS, or with an add-on program. I use EasyTune (which may not be the best to use) to check mine.Also, I may be wrong, but your 300 watt power supply probably isn't up to snuff for the new CPU. I'd go for at least a 400 watt, I upgraded from a 300w to a 500w when I went from an XP 1700 to an XP 2400.Lobaeux

Thanks for the information.The 2800+ uses 1.6 volts vs the 1.75 for the 2100+, so it actually uses less power. I will check on the temp. What temp is too high, or what range of temperatures should I look for?Thanks,Robb

If your mo/bo came with a monitor program (VIA H/W monitor or similar) check what temp the CPU is running at, failing that have a look 'health status' in the BIOS after the system has been running say 20 minutes.If you put ALL the paste on the HSF then you sure put tto much on. If you have any left clean off what's already on the heatsink and CPU then put a THIN smear on top of the CPU core, not all over the entire CPU assembly.All the paste is there to do is smooth out any microscopic, and I mean microscopic, imperfections on the heat sink and CPU.Also make sure the heatsink is fitted correctly and is not riding up on the shoulder of the socket - although if that were the case I would not expect the system to run longer than about 30 seconds!Another way to check if it is heat, take the sides, or case, off and if possible direct a fan onto the CPU and see if that helps it run longer.Another thing to try is setting the BIOS to 'safe' settings, it may be something other than heat.I assume you are not overclocking anything.HTH And best of luck.

The MB temp is 43c 109f and the CPU temp is running at 50.5c 122.5f.Does that sound ok? Also, when you say CPU core, are you talking about the little square part that is showing, the small metal square?I will check to see if the heatsink is attached properly to the CPU and will have to buy some more paste. Thanks,RobbAny other comments would be great.

Robb, those temps sound fine to me but I would still clean off the thermal compound if you put too much on and you have some spare.Yep, the CPu core is the little square metal part, that's the only bit that needs the thermal compound. Get some Arctic Silver compound, supposed to be the best, the little syringe will do goodness knows how many CPUs :-)so you could go into business and offer to apply the compound to your friends' CPUs, for a consideration of course ;-)To give you an idea I have an XP1800 and it runs up to 55C without a problem. AMD quote about 90C for max core temp but you have to make allowances for inaccurate mo/bo probes when looking at what temps they report - I would think you are OK up to 60C although the cooler the better.Best of luck.

I have a very similar problem with my system. I have an Athlon 2200 XP with a single 512 stick of Ram and a Geforce 4 MX440 video card. I have a 350 watt power supply, and when I first got this system I had two 256 MB sticks of Ram and the computer would freeze after about 10 minutes of play in any game. I assumed that it was because I was drawing too much power from the power supply and I got a single stick of 512 Ram to see if that corrected the problem. It did, but now I've got it again three months later. (I think the power supply is giving up on me.)Anyhow, the AMD Athlon/Geforce combination is murder on power supply's. Get the biggest baddest thing that you can find. (or maybe at least a 400 watt) and I can almost bet that that will fix your problem.

Guest Dominik Mann

Since we're talking about power supplies anyway, I got a question, too :-) . I shall be upgrading to an Athlon XP 2500 by the end of the month and will need a more powerful P/S. Now, since I would like to keep my PC case, are all power supplies of equal size, or would I have to check measurements in order to make sure the new one would actually fit into the P/S slot?Sorry if this should be a dumb question, but it's been nagging me for weeks now :-shy ...

I have one stick of 512Mb SDRAM. I see what you are saying about the power supply issue. However, before I upgraded my CPU to the Athlon 2800+, I used the 2100+ which never froze up. Now, the 2100+ used 1.75v whereas the 2800+ only uses 1.65v. Therefore, the 2800+ actually uses less power, so power cannnot be the issue. Robb

Guest PaulL01

>The MB temp is 43c 109f and the CPU temp is running at 50.5c >122.5f. >Does that sound ok? Also, when you say CPU core, are you >talking about the little square part that is showing, the >small metal square? >>I will check to see if the heatsink is attached properly to >the CPU and will have to buy some more paste. >>Thanks, >>Robb >>>Any other comments would be great. Robb,Your case temps seem quite high 43c? Unless your room temps are near that high I would suggest considering adding another exhaust fan or two to your case.For the CPU to be running at 50c in that environment is not bad (even with the excess thermal paste- you do need to re-do that in a very thin but even application).Try dropping your case temp and I'll bet your lockups go away.Paul

Robb, the power consumption is not directly related to the Voltage..If that were the case, all the current CPUs that run around 1.5V should be using less power than older generation CPUs that ran at 2.5V.Power is defined as Voltage x Current, and a CPU running at 1.65V can easily draw more current and hence dissipate more power/heat than a CPU that runs at 1.75V.If you look at the data sheets for the AMD processor line, you'll find the power (in Watt).Either way, 55 degrees is not very high and if you take the covers off the case you should be able to determine if heat build up in the case is an issue or not. At a minimum you should have two exhaust fans for an AMD system (one in the power supply and one additional case fan).

Bert

I took the cover off my computer case. The MB temp dropped from 43c 109f to 36c 96f and the CPU dropped from 50.5c 122.5f to 41c 105f. That cured the lockup issues. I will reapply the paste later but will do it. Thanks guys. Robb

Try taking the case cover off which will drop the temperature down for both the MB and the CPU. That cured my lock ups...Robb