Sign in to follow this  
simba_nl

Getting mad of shimmering

Recently I take the downstep from FSX to FS9 but getting mad of the high shimering, I have a powerfull enough PC but megascenery's like Frankfurt and recently bought Vienna is drivin me mad.The buildings and lines on taxiways, runways are floating and shimmering like ####.I'm using NHancer with 16Q AA and 16X AF LOD BIAS Clamp but nothing will help. (tried all different options ofcourse)I tried also lowering MipMapping but no clue.Please help/advice...Happy Landings...E6750+P35+2Gb-800 DDR2+8800GTS/320

Guest ightenhill

have you still got the basic fs9 cfg..

The sweet spot for mip-mapping in FS9 is half way: Level 4Going beyond this introduces shimmering no matter what vid card and manufacturer you own.

I agree with the shimmering at EDDF. It was a major problem until I found a fix at the Aerosoft forums. The fix was replacing some textures, which at least solved the problem for me. I have some shimmers with Vienna but not near as bad as EDDF. Hope this will help you calm down.Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

>I agree with the shimmering at EDDF. It was a major problem>until I found a fix at the Aerosoft forums. The fix was>replacing some textures, which at least solved the problem for>me. I have some shimmers with Vienna but not near as bad as>EDDF. >>Hope this will help you calm down.>>CarlI found that those replacement textures cured the shimmers at EDDF, but turned it into a slideshow with terrible framerates. At the end of the day I prefer a shimmering,but smooth EDDF, than a jerky slideshow. A bit of a shame though :-(

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Gavin,Sorry to hear about the drop in frames. Fortunately I saw no change after installing the textures.Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Guest weeniemcween

If you want to get rid of shimmering don't use 16xQ AA multisampling, use 8xS (only available through nhancer which you have). This will be a big change. You can actually go higher but it will start to affect frame rate, particularly in clouds. Then, to really totally eliminate the shimmers, enable transparency supersampling as well. Since you have an 8800, you shouldn't notice anything except better image quality, maybe 1 or 2 fps lost, which you can gain back by first disabling transparency supersampling. But since you're using 16xQ now, an extremely overkill setting by the way, your frame rates should be the same. Keep lod bias clamped and anisotropic 16x.

Would I get a visual improvement with Nhancer with my video card? I currently use 2X AA but seem to get a drop in frames using 4X AA when there are heavy clouds. Will Nhancer let me use 4X AA with better performance results than not using Nhancer?Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Not really...but it is nice because all the settings are in an easy place to get to and you can set profiles for each game easier than with Nvidia's default interface.

Guest tmond

I have the same problem. I have 2 GTX8800 cards. I tryed turning the mipping down but that did not help. I am no computer expert by no means and wonder if I could get some help. I am not to good at compter jargon and if you will help me I wld sure appreciate it.How do you enable transparency supersampling? What is 8 x S ? What is nenhancer?:)

>I have the same problem. I have 2 GTX8800 cards. I tryed>turning the mipping down but that did not help. I am no>computer expert by no means and wonder if I could get some>help. I am not to good at compter jargon and if you will help>me I wld sure appreciate it.How do you enable transparency>supersampling? What is 8 x S ? What is nenhancer?:) Yes I'm the same. I don't have 2 GTX8800s but have some Nvidia thing. As with the poster above, I'd appreciate a little help with doing those complex sounding things. I freely and openly admit my computer ignorance :-)

Gavin Barbara

Guest bluesman666

HiIt's called nHancer....look for it on the net........and it's for nVidia cardsDave

Guest bluesman666

HiThanks for this info, I've set my nHancer to Combined at 8 x S and it seems pretty good, with Mipping at 5CheersDave

Guest bluesman666

H againDo you know why since loading (and unloading) FSX, I've got cursorflickering in FS9Any ideas appreciatedDave

>Hi>It's called nHancer....look for it on the net........and it's>for nVidia cards>Dave Thanks for that, I'll look it up and give it a go.

Gavin Barbara