Sign in to follow this  
Guest drmweaver2

Alternate location for Aircraft folders?

Guest drmweaver2

I know it's possible to relocate Addon Scenery folders.Is it possible to do the same thing for Aircraft folders?

Guest FengZ

sort of...but not 100%you can re-direct almost all the files to other locations; such as the sounds, panels, textures, and even models by editing their path in the aircraft.cfg. However, FS9 will still need to "read" the aircraft.cfg in the Aircraft folder to find your plane.-feng

Guest drmweaver2

Thanks fort the info. I wouldn't have thought of that "method".

Relocating or adding folders to the aircraft locations is part of FSXBut for FS2004 the redirection method for some of the files is the only option.

If you are comfortable with doing low-level Win XP stuff, you can create a junction link to another folder. I'm not sure if there is any performance penalty for doing that. I found a program for creating the link called linkmagic.exe from here:http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htmnote that this only works on NTFS formated partitions. Also, read closely the warnings because you can cause some trouble if you delete the wrong stuff with linked folders. But I used it when a partition was too small and a program wouldn't let me move it's working folder any where else. The effect seems to be like doing a mount AFAICT.scott s..

I have been using NTFS Link for years now:http://sourceforge.net/projects/ntfslinkextI have the following folders on my D: drive:aircraftaddon scenerysceneryAfter deleting those folders from the (C: drive) FS9 folder, you use NTFS link to create "softlinks" in the FS9 folder called "aircraft, addon scenery, scenery, etc".It is a little bit like a shortcut, so that in windows explorer, you still see a folder on C: drive, but they are actually physically located on the D: drive.It works well for me. No performance hit at all, as it it really only relates to disk access speed.

Graeme Butler

Guest drmweaver2

Does this NTFS softlink stuff work with Vista? - that is what I am using.

Hmm - no idea about Vista. I am using XP Pro.You could download it and try it - just create a "dummy" link to another folder on your PC and see if it works.

Graeme Butler