Sign in to follow this  
Guest almkennedy

Fluctuating FPS when moving wireless mouse ...

Guest almkennedy

This evening I've noticed a significant drop in fps in fs9 when moving the (wireless) mouse around the screen .. Situation is typically: default flight, a/c at Inverness. Before I'd be getting a steady 40fps. Since this evening, I notice that the fps fluctuates between 37-40fps, then when I move the mouse (for example to switch the lights on, engines etc) the fps drop to 24-30fps. Lots of disc crunching ensues, then eventually the fps crawls back to 38fps. Then when I move the mouse, same thing again .. I bought the new Carenado Mooney this evening but this was the only major change to my fs9 set-up. I un-installed the mooney to see if that might be causing conflicts, but no, same behaviour without the Mooney installed. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it, or what i can do to track the problem down? I've tried a new fs9.cfg, a defrag was not required according to the defragger tool. I can try using a chorded mouse, perhaps that might shed some light, but otherwise I am at a loss ... Cheers, Andy

Guest 247

Ive got a wirelss mouse and know exactly what you mean. I dont know why it does it. Could it be using some of the pc's processing power ?. Also what de-fragging tool you have ?

Guest almkennedy

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm using the standard MS defragger which has always worked fine for me. It's curious how it's only happened in the last day or so. I've tried rebooting to see if that fixes it but it doesn't. I've virus scanned, scanned for adware, spyware - nothing, all is clean as a whistle. I might try unplugging the mouse to see if that makes any difference (but it's a wireless mouse and keyboard combo, so no mouse, no keys!) How can i identify the process that drives the wireless mouse? Perhaps that's gotten corrupted somehow ...?

I have a Logitech Wireless mouse/keyboard combo (Logitech S510) and I do not get fluctuating framerates although, clicking on the panel in FS will usually always bring a slight micro-pause depending on which button your clicking and which panel it is if it is built well. For example in Level D 767, when I switch the fuel control switch on the center pedestal to run, I get a brief micro-pause and thats because its loading the sound file and at the same time performing several actions on the EICAS screen and activating the animation of the engines coming to life. However I noticed your using the standard MS Defragger, now don't get me wrong, but thats not a good defrag program. MS Defragger only performs a generic defrag of your hard-drive but it still won't make your HD perform any faster. What you want to use is Ultimate Defrag by Disktrix or O&O Defrag by OO Software. Personally I use Ultimate Defrag and it is top-notch because you have so much more defragging power. I have a partition on my HD dedicated to FS only, when I defrag, I have it set to Consolidate by Name and Respect Performance. Basically UD will organize all the files according to name and performance. End result, I get better framerates, faster loading sequences and much smoother visual display, micro pauses are almost non-existent even if they are there, its pretty much un-noticeable! Disktrix offers a 14 day full-version trial, so give it a try and the cost is not at all that expensive, its worth it, at least for me. Cheers,Jason

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

I've been using a Microsoft Wireless mouse for years and have never seen an impact on FPS or performance (stutter, ect...) in MSFS even with a slower computer. I'm not sure why this would happen, but I know Logitech has a tendency to get as little crazy with their software. I've never cared for Logitech, especially for Mice or Keyboards.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hi Chris,"I know Logitech has a tendency to get as little crazy with their software. I've never cared for Logitech, especially for Mice or Keyboards."Just to provide a bit of balance here, I have been using a Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse for the past two years. Superb piece of kit and continues to deliver faultless performance. Actually, I like it so much I have recently purchased a second MX1000 and switch between the two when the current one in use needs to be recharged. Admittedly the failure of the power supply for the first mouse had something to do with the need to purchase the second, but I was reluctant to move away from this particular rodent. I made the mistake of leaving the recharger on all the time believing it was necessary to power the transmitter. In fact, I discovered that the transmitter is powered via the USB interface.MikeEdit: Andy, I would try removing the mouse from the Device Manager and rebooting to reinstall same. Remove all entries under "Mice and other pointing devices" and let Windows do its thing.

Hasn't anyone remembered the old, un-install re-install advice?Also, you better get a standard wired mouse for troubleshooting.Good luck,Regina

Just for fun bring up task manager and watch the CPU utilization. Then move your mouse around like crazy! I can get to 11%.What's your score?

Guest almkennedy

I was getting around 15% there lol :-)Problem fixed, just reinstalled the mouse drivers and everything is grand again. Very odd though.

I suppose I was thinking that with a 11% peak in the sampling period perhaps that could cause a stutter (even for a normal movement).But loading data for textures makes more sense.

>I was getting around 15% there lol :-)>>Problem fixed, just reinstalled the mouse drivers and>everything is grand again. Very odd though.Amazing isn't it? Troubleshooting 101