Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

FSNavigator FMC question

Hello AllAm i right in thinking that FSNavigator in its full automatic mode acts in much the same way as an FMC found on a lot of payware aircraft models?It will after all (If you want it too)takeoff ,climb,cruise, descend and land automatically.I have yet to buy any payware aircraft but would be interested to know if FSNvav can be made to perform similar or indeed identical functions to FMCs cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Two things:FSNaviagator is great program, but its really suited taking the FS9 default aircraft up, down and around. Although its FMC capabilities are really limited, it has a graet moving map feature. It is also out of production.The second point, if you really want to experience "as real as it gets", buy a payware aircraft like the PMDG 747-400 or the Level-D 767-300. Both of those birds have outstanding FMC/CDU capabilities. Tom

Thanks TomI already have FSNav and i did use it once on fully automatic mode just to see how it would perform and i seem to remember it did the job well and it wasn't a default plane either (never use those)i was just interested thats all.I will get round to my first payware soon,but i am dreading it a bit as i know it will come with a MAHOOSIVE manual and i hate those.PS I couldn't do without FSNav, although i did find that the default GPS if you poke about a bit can perform many of its functions but its just bloomin fiddly to use.cheers Andy

Guest macman4

If you have the freeware Fokkers http://fokker.avsim.net/ ,they have a gauge in there panel that controls FSNav from the cockpit. So yes, this aircraft will do what you want.

>If you have the freeware Fokkers http://fokker.avsim.net/>,they have a gauge in there panel that controls FSNav from the>cockpit. So yes, this aircraft will do what you want. Hello there Yes i knew about the fokkers and you do get those FSNav controls on some other planes as well.Just in case they dont have them, i have a joystick key assigned to turn FSNav on and off.cheers Andy

Andy:I've used FSNav from the beginning and I just bought my first set of payware aircraft: the Overland Boeing series for 25 bucks and I am really happy with it. For me, the FSNav FMC feature (if we really want to call it that) works plenty well. I opted for the Overland package (which many here may pooh-pooh as being too much like the default a/c) simply because I have gotten really tired of all the reading, studying, calculating, and programming involved with this hobby -- I'm at a point where I just want to fly! You get 6 or 7 different models and there are tons of free paints out there, too so: What a deal!<< http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=972 >>Add ActiveSky, RadarContact (while listening to liveATC.com), FSPassengers to your a/c and (or?) fly with a Virtual Airline and you have a lot of fun with a minimal amount of prefilight planning!

Two points Andy.FSNav will NOT autoland. You have to disengage FSNav on short finals and allow the aircraft to do the autoland.Most of the more 'sophisticated' payware aircraft such as the Level-D 767 and PMDG aircraft cannot be 'controlled' by FSNav, they have to be 'controlled' by their own FMC. This is because the aircraft autopilot does mimic the default MSFS one and FSNav is designed to work with the default autopilot.As others say, getting the Level-D 767 or PMDG 747 brings an entirely new experience to flying heavy iron and although there is a lot to learn for the FMC once learnt it is easy to transfer to other aircraft.

Thanks Chuck and VulcanI did know about FSNav not doing an autoland by the way.Chuck i may go down your route and try some of Just Flights 'light range' these are aircraft models that do have an FMC but it is a simplified version(for clod brains like me).Vulcan the only reason i haven't yet tried any payware aircraft yet is because i am possibly the only person on the planet that doesn't possess a credit card.:-)AndyPS In time i would like to move onto payware with FMC as it just feels like the next step in the hobby for me. PPS Chuck i hope you got your problems with the PSPanels panel sorted out.

>Thanks Chuck and Vulcan>Chuck>i may go down your route and try some of Just Flights 'light>range' these are aircraft models that do have an FMC but it is>a simplified version(for clod brains like me).Obviously you're not a clod Andy. These things are complicated and and require a lot of getting used to. I have messed around so much lately with complexity in panels, a/c, etc., I have opted to use less complex aircraft addons (hence the Overland purchase) that still provide a modicum of realism and focus on learning Radar Contact (which itself has a 270+ page manual) and fly around the world, as opposed to more reading, programming, tweaking, etc. In a year or two, that will probably change.>PPS Chuck i hope you got your problems with the PSPanels panel>sorted out.Andy, I'm sorry if I never let you know but my PSPanel woes are all sorted out, with your help, and now I'm going wild modifiying panels and gauges with FSPanel Studio and having a blast. Another contributing factor in my decision to bypass PMDG type aircraft for now. Thanks for all your help!