Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

Getting frustrated with pauses

Hi all.I am suffering from pauses in FS9, it ain't what it used to be. I bought a Dell XPS 420 over the Christmas break and for a couple of weeks FS9 ran like a dream, absolutely no pausing or stutters. Then all of a sudden one day last week it started having extremely slow frame rates - less than 10FPS and no matter what I did it continued to run slow. So I uninstalled and reinstalled FS9 and very carefully added back some of the addons that I had before when it was running smooth. I can get 30FPS (locked) but the pauses continue. I reinstalled my video drivers, I checked for background services that might be impeding fs9. Nothing.I don't want to go into lengthy lists of addons yet nor do I wish to waste your time posting my entire fs9.cfg. I have been tweaking on fs9 since it first came out and know pretty much what works and what doesn't. But nothing I know has fixed this new problem. This has become very annoying and I can't understand what has happened to my new system.Any ideas here???

first guess - antivirus software. confirm it is really shut down. i have to run MSConfig.exe, shut down mcafee security center, and then restart in order to keep 'mcafee' from scanning EVERYTHING FS does (and causing stutters, slow loading, etc.).because of the MSConfig.exe run i then need to restart everything after FSing in order to safely surf the Internet.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

K, I shut down all unnecessary Vista services including AVG antivirus along with all the monitoring svcs and stuff Dell puts on as you suggested. Deleted fs9.cfg and took a test flight with the default settings. Still have pauses. I am befuddled.

make sure the tasks actually shut down by watching the task manager. some have and 'auto restart' ability as many developers believe that users shouldn't have control of their own computer systems (this is what mcafee does, shuts down and about two minutes later restarts).if the above isn't it my next guess is the video card - look at drivers and all the other settings one can do with the FS9.cfg.post you video card so those with the same hardware can assist.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Well, I checked that AVG is not restarting. It isn't. My vid card is a 8600GTS. I am using older 163.75 driver along with nHancer to set my preferences as prescribed in other threads. As I said, this combination worked excellently for a while. I tried updating to the newer 169.25 drivers earlier today but nothing changed since last time I tried them, AA does not work with this driver except in-game AA which drops the frame rate to an unacceptable level. At one point, I had set Vista to run MS in XP SP2 mode and disable the Vista desktop stuff as I read somewhere. I have since reverted to the normal setup. I have gone through my installed software with a fine tooth comb and to the best of my memory, nothing was installed between the time the sim was smooth and when the trouble started. Not even a patch from MS.I might invest in a commercial registry cleaner/problem finder before this is through. I will hunt down and kill the culprit no matter what.

I'm sorry too. I'm dumping Vista and going back to XP Pro.Thanks,Dolph

Guest mahingan

I recently bought a pair of Saitek Throttle Quadrants, but could not get the reverse thrust to activate. I purchased an FSUIPC registration, and programmed the reverse thrust using FSUIPC.Now, I have a very bad stutter every second. Bad enough that it effects FS greatly. If I remove the key file for FSUIPC, and disable it, the stutter vanishes. I've heard that you can input commands into the joystick sections of FS9,cfg, and gain the reverse thrust that way. If anyone knows the commans, I'd sure appreciate it.

>I purchased an FSUIPC registration, and programmed the reverse >thrust using FSUIPC.>Now, I have a very bad stutter every second. Bad enough that>it effects FS greatly. If I remove the key file for FSUIPC,>and disable it, the stutter vanishes. Wow, that's very interesting!I've been long thinking what causes my regular mini-pauses (a few secs).They are especially annoying when happening just before touchdown.I have a remade CH throttle quadrant and the reverse thrust is configured via FSUIPC.Are you sure it may be the reason?Best regards,Rafal

>I recently bought a pair of Saitek Throttle Quadrants, but>could not get the reverse thrust to activate. I purchased an>FSUIPC registration, and programmed the reverse thrust using>FSUIPC.>Now, I have a very bad stutter every second. Bad enough that>it effects FS greatly. If I remove the key file for FSUIPC,>and disable it, the stutter vanishes. I've heard that you can>input commands into the joystick sections of FS9,cfg, and gain>the reverse thrust that way. If anyone knows the commans, I'd>sure appreciate it.>>I sent all my Saitek stuff back and went back to my good ol' CH Products equipment. Here's the procedure I use to accomplish thrust reversers outside of FSUIPC, and it works like a charm. If the CD didn't come with your stuff, you can download Saitek's version their controller software from their website.<< http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=25470 >>Hope this helps!Chuck B.

Guest mahingan

I am positive that it's FSUIPC causing the problem. If I disable it, the problem is gone, but so is the reverse thrust capability.I've tried using the Saitek software, but that's a real dud. Spend a good long time setting up a profile, fired up the sim, and the system went to the good old blue screen of death. Retried it several times with the same results, so I deleted Saitek's crap software and through their disc into the round file.Mahingan

I have never been happy with any Saitek product, and their customer service even less. Just my experience.

I own ChPro stuff, the flightstick, pro pedals and pro throttle. My friend has Saitek and it's cheezy in my opionion. I am speaking to you from my new Dell XPS420 XP machine. Bye bye Vista! They said it couldn't be done since Dell dumped XP for Vista. Well, "Intel inside" has another opinion. All drivers available thru Intel site. Haven't tried FS9 yet, barely got home and had to jump on to see it boot up 10x faster than Vista! Well, it's only 1.5 times as fast but fast enuf. Can't wait to see the stutter gone. Hope they are gone...

Guest JTEK99

>I am positive that it's FSUIPC causing the problem. If I>disable it, the problem is gone, but so is the reverse thrust>capability.Mahingan:Lordy, your post got me thinking. I've experienced the same thing with a variety of flightsim peripherals; most recently, though, a new throttle quadrant.Just for giggles, I decided to delete all the FSUIPC files except for the key. I backed up my FSUIPC.INI file since I have quite a few customized buttons, axes, etc., but again, I deleted that particular file from the /modules folder. Still, I needed FSUIPC since I fly some complex liners (LD767, PMDG 738/9, etc.), so I then did the following.I downloaded the latest FSUIPC.DLL 3.776 (beta) from Pete Dowson's forums, fired up the sim, and lo and behold... a definite, easily noticeable frame increase and -- during a 2 hour series of circuit runs -- none of the "micro-stuttering" I've been having for a few months. Granted, I didn't have reversers (as you mentioned) and I had to map the Throttle Quad using FS9's own assignment dialog, but the result was startling. Perhaps it was the FSIUPC.INI file that I've been "growing" for a number of years. I don't know. But for even more giggles, I then swept the /modules folder of all FSUIPC files. I then fired up a "lite" aircraft model (Overland/Simmer's Sky series) and noticed yet another substantial frame rate increase and no stuttering.I'm very happy I found your post, btw, since I'd been having a feeling that -- after countless hours of tweaking -- that there was something clearly amiss. I'm accustomed to having a VERY smooth flight in FS9, but various tests led me to believe that it just had to be either (a) FSUIPC or (b)WideFS.I'm not totally sure that FSUIPC/WideFS was the actual problem (maybe it's the Saitek stuff... which I love, despite the poo-pooers in this thread), but I can absolutely say that fps was increased when I forced FSUIPC to rebuild its INI file. I'm going to continue testing with FSUIPC and assign some customized buttons that I really need in-sim (and which the FS9 assignment dialog can't handle). I'm going to watch if frames drop as a result of asking FSUIPC to do a bit more than just sit there.Thanks again for the info.

" Well, I checked that AVG is not restarting. It isn't. My vid card is a 8600GTS. I am using older 163.75 driver along with nHancer to set my preferences as prescribed in other threads. As I said, this combination worked excellently for a while. I tried updating to the newer 169.25 drivers earlier today but nothing changed since last time I tried them, AA does not work with this driver except in-game AA which drops the frame rate to an unacceptable level." Hi, I'm using 8600 M GT. After setting nHancer to the preferences in the other threads fs9 ran fine most of the time, but then I noticed fps drops and stutters, never had them before. So I just dialed back a few items with nHancer and everything is back smooth as glass now.With this I get stutters and low framerates now and then, sometimes badly, but sometimes OK:AA supersamplingAA = 8XQGAMA correction with super transparencyAF 16xtexture filters high qualitytrilinear offaniso sampling offnegative load bias clamppedAA turned off inside FS9---------------With just a few changes I get no stutters none of the time.It's not quite as pretty but still almost...AA reduced to multisampling (not super)AA = 8XQ (no change)GAMA correction with multitransparency (instead of super)AF reduced to 4Xtexture filters high quality (no change)trilinear and aniso sampling off (no change)negative LOD bias clampped (no change, clampped!)AA turned off in FS9 (no change)---------------------------But then, YMMV !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.