Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Airbus

Delete Default AI Traffic

I would like to try this program, but there are no instructions on how to reverse the deletion if I don't like it. Anyone try this program and learn how to reverse the deletion?Thanks!Airbus

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would be extremely cautious using that "program". Actually, I cannot understand why anyone would want to risk it as it is not rocket science to just rename the default traffic file - changing the name to traffic030528.bgl.BAK or something similar.Or just move the file elsewhere (a temp folder) for safe keeping.The file in question is normally located inC:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryWorldsceneryIf you do not like your traffic without it, you sure do want to be able to restore it.

I saw this program too but haven't downloaded it yet. Although I appreciate what the freeware developer has tried to do here, I think (as usual) David's advice is sound, and I think that's the method I'll use if I even decide to try this at all.Thanks, Mr. Marshall.

David:Thanks for your advice and those of others. I am going to rename the traffic file and see how things work out.Airbus

Mr. ???Only my wife calls me that...... when she is mad at me. :-lolOpa, please.

Keep in mind that simply disabling (on way or another) the default traffic file will not suddenly populate your skies with more realistic aircraft.Quite the opposite: your skies will have nothing flying (other than yourself) unless you install AI packages for GA and Airlines from such sources as Ultimate GA, WOAI and/or Project AI etc.There are payware AI packages available also. I just did not want anyone expecting miracles.Good luck!

I simply moved the default aircraft out of the aircraft folder into a temp folder to remove the default traffic. Seems to work, but will this cause any problems?

Hi,The default aircraft are also the flyable aircraft that come with FS. That means none of those are available to you. Also, many add-on planes require default parts to be installed. I would not suggest doing this. It is MUCH easier dealing with one traffic file. Not sure what is so hard about moving or renaming one traffic file.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

I wonder if this will actually slow down the sim slightly as the default traffic.bgl file is still running in the background, trying to complete AI flights, but constantly looking for now non-existent aircraft.

If you remove the default aircraft you asking for all kinds of problems!It is possible FS2004 will not even load, especially if you have not changed the default flight (the Cessna at Seattle) which is presented on the Create a Flight screen as this obviously uses one of them.Leave the default aircraft alone. Other aircraft may alias a panel or sound to one of them. If you want to remove/replace the default AI traffic, disable the default traffic file and replace GA and Airline traffic with packages of your choice.

Hello Everyone,Thanks for pointing these out to me. I have developed v1.2 of this utility, and instead of deleting the traffic configuration file, it just renames it, and the readme.txt file has instructions on how to undo the changes if anything goes wrong.I have submitted to Avsim library, should be up very shortly.Many Thanks,Hope this clears up some of your issues.

May I humbly suggest that the next time you decide to create a "utility" that you........1. Investigate what other options (or programs) are already available (no need to re-invent the wheel)2. Run your idea by a group of avid simmers - they can offer suggestions etc. that may not be apparent to a non simmer3. Submit the "product" to serious beta testing before releasing itDoing these rather basic things will help assure the "utility" is useful, does no harm and works "as advertised".(and save the developer a great deal of time correcting any flaws)Just a suggestion for what it may be worth.

There is no impact on performance when you remove aircraft from your folder. I add and subtract traffic all the time. Depends on what mood I'm in at the time. My traffic files are Traffic-GA_061121.bgl - A lot of different custom flightsTraffic-GA_Bizjet.bgl - Citations, Gulfstreams, and even a Hondajettraffic030528.bgl - Default stuff (see removed aircraft comment below)Traffic_Helicopters.bgl - choppers both mil and civTraffic_Military.bgl - 34 of my favorite mil jets and props (so far)Traffic_PAI.bgl - FedEx, many major airlines. I rename the default and fly with all the others most of the time. The difference without the default is not too noticeable.Oh, and I have removed all the old planes from my inventory that I don't want to see EVER flying in my skies because, IMHO, it is very unrealistic to see these except for maybe at the big Oshkosh fly-in or something. I do not have any issues or impact on performance by removing them even though the default .bgl is enabled. The planes I have permanently removed are the Curtiss_Jenny, DeHavilland_Comet, Douglas_DC3, Ford_Trimotor, Lockheed_Vega, Spirit_of_StLouis, Vickers_Vimy and the Wright_Flyer.I don't do "airshows" on my 'puter.

>May I humbly suggest that the next time you decide to create>a "utility" that you........>>1. Investigate what other options (or programs) are already>available (no need to re-invent the wheel)>>2. Run your idea by a group of avid simmers - they can offer>suggestions etc. that may not be apparent to a non simmer>>3. Submit the "product" to serious beta testing before>releasing it>>Doing these rather basic things will help assure the "utility">is useful, does no harm and works "as advertised".>>(and save the developer a great deal of time correcting any>flaws)>>Just a suggestion for what it may be worth.>>>>Opa, Thanks for the suggestions. It was BETA tested by simmers, and was just meant to be a quick utility.Thanks.