Sign in to follow this  
Guest theskyisthelimit

Change frequency 122.1 at uncontrolled airfields VFR

Guest theskyisthelimit

Hi everybody,Maybe, this is a stupid question and someone is about to give the hint "RTFM".However, several tries and extensive use of the search-function in this forum did not lead to any result....I have added many smaller fields to my FS9, with - sometimes - very dense AI-Traffic.Although, every field has been "equipped" with it`s individual Traffic-Frequency (using AFCAD2), the simulator simply ignores such entries and instead uses one single frequency for all uncontrolled fields within the same geographical region.Result:If you want to let other traffic know your intention to take off or land on runway xx, you always hear the "beep" of crossmessaging when pressing the key, as hundreds of other aircrafts at lots of different uncontrolled airfields are trying the same...... on said single frequency obviously common to all uncontrolled fields.Does anybody know a remedy to such problem, other than changing that field from "uncontrolled" to "tower-controlled" (i.e. inserting a tower-frequency) ???Thanks in advance for any useful hint.Best regards,Klaus-Peter (Hamburg, Germany)

Open the airport in Afcad2Click on "Lists" on the menu barClick on "Comm Frequencies"Click on "Insert" buttonSelect "Frequency"Set Type to "Traffic"Add Name of your choiceSave your workConfirm AF2 file is in an active scenery folder

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest theskyisthelimit

Hello Joe,thanks for your answer and try to help.Unfortunately, this is not the clue.Of course, as stated before, I always follow the procedure indicated by you.Means, every field has it`s individual frequency, also displayed in the tag of resp. field when clicking onto it in map-mode.But FS9 simply ignores those entries and uses default traffic frequency instead (obviously common to all fields without tower).Just imagine, you have added AI-Traffic to 20 small fields just in the northern region and vicinity of Hamburg.It is almost impossible to submit your own traffic-message as constant chatter congests the radio-aether.If you don`t experience the same with FS9 on your PC, it means I have to tweak my FS9 in another file.But which and where?(Please don

This refers to the US and Canada but still may be of interest.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNICOMTo get what you are after I am quite sure you have to make it a 'towered" airport. Otherwise you are limited by the Unicom setup.Quoting from the Afcad Help file:Enabling ATC:To make ATC work at an airport that doesn

Guest theskyisthelimit

Hi Opa!According to that Wikipedia-Enty, I understand, UNICOM is a single frequency, operational for whole canada? (as an example?).Thus "spacing" of airfield chatter is a matter of radio-signal-range?Two fields just too far away of each other to interfere traffic messages?Something what FS9 can`t simulate?(as fading singnals are not possible within FS-world?)Guess, real world here in Europe (resp. Germany) is different.On our aeronautical VFR-Charts, every small airfield (except glider-fields), although uncontrolled, has it`s published individual traffic frequency which pilots have to use when informing other traffic of their intentions.Just to give an example of the vicinity of Hamburg:EDHS - Stade - 123.0EDHO - Ahrenlohe - 122.6EDHE - Uetersen - 122.7EDHM - Hartenholm 127.1(from left to right, see chart: http://www.sagittarius-net.de/Maps/eddh-Kontrollzone.htm )Adding a Tower to those fields in our FS-World using AFCAD would mean to change to - unrealistic - clearances, instead of information from pilot to pilot(s).So, this is one of the contrains we do have to live with using the simulator?(i.e. no need for me to bother any longer as there is no remedy?) Best regards,

Guest theskyisthelimit

Hello all!... and thanks to you guys to tackle my problem.Guess, we are closing in ....When rechecking airfield entries I noticed, that despite of explicitly stating "traffic" when entering a comm frequency using AFCAD, those (correct) values do appear in FS-Map-Tags as "Multicom", "FSS", "Traffic", "Unicom".(Never came across that before, as I rechecked frequency value only)However, phrases you hear always say "Traffic, D-EKOT on final rwy xx" bla, bla.... no matter which one is stated in airfield-tag in map mode.Nevertheless, after punching in the frequency as "traffic" several times in AFCAD (altering, then saving, restart FS and recheck tag in map mode), finally leads to correct entry "traffic".I tested it with three airfields now.... and it works!Now, only problem is to separate frequencies from other airports/fields, as even far away airports, may be using same "traffic" frequency - in that case as "tower" - is audible.But this is a matter of diligence now.By the way:Is there any small freeware tool, working as kind of a scanner, displaying all commfrequencies of a region in Flightsimulator?This would help a lot to find free frequencies, not interfering each other.For example: EDWM uses 122.6 as traffic. However Diepholz AB uses same Frequency as Tower.In real world, those do not interfere, as radio-range is too short.In FS I need to alter one of these....Up to now, this is a matter of try and error, resp. rechecking lots of other fields, to find a free frequency.Again, thanks for your endeavours so far.Best regards,