Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rocky

Flying online with the GPS

Yesterday I tried to fly online (on IVAO) with an aircraft that had no FMC, so I used the GPS instead. It works fine, except when the controller requires a DIRECT to a waypoint of the route.I know how to change the active leg to change the next waypoint, but the problem is that the aircraft does not take a direct heading to this waypoint.To make my explanations clearer:My flight plan is A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H.I took off from A, I passed B so I am flying to C.The controller asks a DIRECT to F:I make the leg from E to F active, so that F becomes the next waypoint. It works, but the aircraft does not take a direct heading to F.If I activate the DIR function of the GPS to fly directly to F, it works much better but the rest of the flight plan is erased...Do you know a way to make it work better?Thanks,Eric

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try selecting the next leg (ie position G).That would then be the F-G leg. If position F is between your current position and position G, that should cause it to fly direct to position F to meet the F-G track then join it.It does depend on where you are in relation to the point, but one or the other tends to get you close.Its not a perfect solution , the GPS is always going to turn towards the desired track between the legs.Regards.Ernie.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it still doesn't work. have a look at the attached image: I wanted to fly direct to BSN, so I selected the BSN-CLM leg (CLM is the next waypoint) but still, the aircraft keeps flying to LESDO instead of turning aprroximately at 200

Eric, if I understand correctly from the screen shot, you select the CLM VOR but no direct route appears, hmm...:-hmmm, is the GPS in question the Garmin 500?I just did a little test, normally once you type in a fix, the default GPS will create a route directly to that fix, your route should be updated. Stupid question to ask but did you "activate" your selection, bottom right after selecting the desired fix?EDIT: I re-read your first post, sorry, as you say it does erase the flightplan so it's useless, ignore my post.As for your problem, I have tried to do what you describe in the past, couldn't find a solution either. I guess you're right it is a limitation.Bon vols!

I tried it.It didn't fly direct to LESDO, but it did fly towards the 190 deg desired track which was close to LESDO.I was assuming it wouldn't recognize that desired track prior to BSN, and go to BSN first, but it did recognize the track and simply flew an intercept heading.I guess if its current heading intercepts the extended desired track it doesn't change from it and flies that approximate heading to the desired track then joins the track the rest of the way, it doesn't matter what waypoints are prior to it.So agreed its seems to be a limitation of the default GPS.Regards.Ernie.

I see we all seem to agree: it is a limitation of the GPS.I have some ideas that need to be tested, but I may be able to develop a "basic" FMC that manages the GPS flight plan in a better way so that a real DIR TO function will be possible.I will keep you posted...Eric

I would suggest one of the following.1. If a chart exists, accept the direct to and use the chart to find the direct to waypoint (if its a fix there should be a VOR radial), then continue to fly via gps.2. If no chart exists, ask the controller for a heading or just fly to the waypoint using the gps as lateral guidance, then re-engage once there to continue on route.3. Switch to something like FreeFMC to avoid this problem.Mark.

FreeFMC looks interesting, but the only link I found was in German, impossible for me to undertsand... I have donwloaded an exe but can't get it to work, I don't understand German.Eric

Did you attempt to select the leg in question from the FPL page and then hit the Direct button? If that doesn't work there's a Garmin GPS freeware guage that supposedly adds some pages and functions, though I have never tried it. Other than that, the only option I know of is to purchase one of the Garmin or Apollo GPS guages from Reality XP.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004, MIDCON P-401"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

No, I select the leg in question from the FPL page and press the MENU button. Then a menu appears asking me if I want to activate this leg, and I press ENT to confirm.If you press the DIRECT button, the aircraft flies correctly to the selected waypoint, but the rest of the flight plan is erased...Eric

It's been ages since I've used the default GPS and my attempts to use it right now pretty well reminded me why I don't use it. I would try one of the freeware GPS downloads and see if you have better results, or shell out for one of the Reality-XP GPSs if you plan on using GPS heavily with online ATC. Else I would stick to the old fashioned low/high altitude enroute charts and VOR/NDBs.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satellite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004, MIDCON P-401"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

The other solution is to fly only aircrafts that have an FMC when flying online...Thanks for your help anyway !!Eric