Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwenham

Wide Screen Monitor Question

I recently got a 22'' wide screen and really like how much better everything looks except for one thing, 2D cockpit. The VC looks great, but when in 2D the panels are stretched out. I have made the config edit for wide aspect ratio but I dont see a difference. Is this normal or do I need to make other changes?Thanks, Jim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I recently got a 22'' wide screen and really like how much better everything looks except for one thing, 2D cockpit. The VC looks great, but when in 2D the panels are stretched out. I have made the config edit for wide aspect ratio but I dont see a difference. Is this normal or do I need to make other changes?Thanks, Jim
I also have a 22" wide screen. The issue with most 2D panels is the aspect ratio of the wide display. Almost all 2D panels are 4:3, while my 22" monitor's aspect ratio is 16:10 (1280X1050). This causes the 2D panels to stretch and you get not-round steam gauge instruments and non-realistic-looking glass panels.The solution is to search for modifications to existing 2D panels, like the one available on the Level D forums, purchase addons which come with a wide screen panel or modify a panel yourself. Do a search at the avsim aircraft and panel design forum for a good discussion on the DIY approach.I'm using the Level D with the wide screen modification and could not be happier. Also, the PMDG 737-700 does not look bad at all in wide screen.Jim Harnes

You can load the cockpit Bmp file in a program like photoshop or other equivilent graphic program, and change it from example 1024x768 to 1680x1050. Then use Flight Sim Panel Studio from Flight 1, (which is pretty cheap and worth its weight in gold) to realign the gauges. You will have a slight loss in quality, but it will still look good. I did this a lot in FS9.Bill

I recently got a 22'' wide screen and really like how much better everything looks except for one thing, 2D cockpit. The VC looks great, but when in 2D the panels are stretched out. I have made the config edit for wide aspect ratio but I dont see a difference. Is this normal or do I need to make other changes?Thanks, JimJim- here is another approach. Just drag the right edge of a 2D panel leftward so gauges are round once again. Then use some popups to fill in the blank area. Here is an experimental screenie filled in with the Lower EICAS CRT plus Switch Panel plus Misc Panel popups. When you are happy, Save The Flight so you can come back to it easily. A worthwhile improvement to the basic 2D panel! You could also use Throttle or CDU popups as fill ins. (the black areas are unused portions of my triple monitors for this simulated wide mon pic.)Alex ReidPMDG 747 Wide Mon exper.