Sign in to follow this  
nocaltom

Onboard Sound Vs Sound Card

I,m running FSX with onboard sound would I gain any performance with a dedicated sound card? If so any suggestions?Thanks,Tom

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

Hello,In my opinion yes. All depends on the "power" of your MB.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

I,m running FSX with onboard sound would I gain any performance with a dedicated sound card? If so any suggestions?Thanks,Tom
I do not think that there is any evidence out there which would claim that dedicated soundcards can or in fact do increase FPS. Sure, Creative will obviously like you to believe this and therefore buy their X-Fi with dedicated RAM but as far as I am aware there is no increase in realworld FPS.Modern onboard audio is very decent and unless you are an audiophile the cost benefit of a dedicated soundcard is a bit hard to justify.

Konrad

Tom, I just went through the same thing I hook up to netflix to watch movies and was loosing the sound so I switched to a Audigy SE and was surprised as it will now almost blow me out of the room.....ENJOY !tONY :(

In my opinion, no. Dedicated sound cards can improve sound quality; in some situations the differences are quite pronounced; in others they are more subtle or even negligible, although like so many of these things, once you've used a good one you won't want to go back. But if sound quality is not your thing then I wouldn't bother about setting off down that road. In my experience a dedicated sound card makes no improvement to the performance of FSX that I can perceive. Tim

I see no difference in performance in FSX between my SB X-Fi and my on board sound. As stated above, I think it would be an unjustified cost (you'll get no return on investment).

Guest harleyman52

I say No...Not really...Sound cards are from another era when Pentium CPU's were king ,and weak at best ..For them onboard sound really pulled on the processor so sound cards with their own processor became the new norm...However now with the Quad and Dou cores onboard sound will use so little CPU power you will never notice any difference in FSX...BUT...If you are running your home sound system off your rig then yes,get a good card...Just avoid SB as their drivers have problems with nvidia drivers a lot of times...IMO only

Thanks guys.......

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

Lets open the discussion a little further. We now have USB sound Cards has anyone seen a performance difference betweeon onboard sound, a dedicated PCI sound card and a USB sound card?I use USB Headphones for ATC and do not se any difference in performance if I change to headphones connected to the onboard sound or a dedicated (XFi) sound card. I have also used a USB Sound Blaster Extigy and Audigy in both FS9 and FSX and again there didn't seem to be a performance hit. But I could be wrong.PeterH