Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

The CS 727 and the RFP 742

Guest ba747heavy

Hey all--I have aquired enough money right now to either buy the CS 727 or the RFP 742. I am wondering which would be worth my time. Been wanting to get into a plane that will make me fly it a little more than my baby 767 PIC :DI am an avid systems simulator. I like planes that have all the bells and whistles. The 767 PIC comes to mind as the *only* plane I have in my limited payware fleet...the 767 PIC, 744 PSS, A320 PSS, and Dash8 PSS.I have heard great things about the CS 727, and the visuals are *amazing*!! So much so that drool over them every time I see them. However, I am not sure it is the 'systems sim' that I would love.I have also heard great things about the RFP 742. This seems less 'visual oriented' in the front office, ie from what I have seen it doesn't look very impressive. Genric bitmaps. Of course, I have only seen a couple of piccies, so I am not sure. The RFP 742 seems more systems oriented, as the manuals I have aquired from there site attests. I am very impressed.:-hmmm

I do own both, along with 767PIC as you do, and I can tell you this isn't really a fair comparison. Perhaps the best thing I can do is tell you exactly what you get with each package.727: This is a medium sized, medium range jet, capable of short field operations. The CS package has two variants; the older -100 and the -200 in use today. Starting on the outside, the visual model is excellent, and doesn't eat up many frames either. The flaps/slats/spoilers and all are particularly interesting and very well modelled. I can't really find anything to complain about with the exterior model. It contains opening door and airstairs, as well as the animated wipers and opening pilots' windows. The reflective textures are nice as well. Going inside, I'll start with the VC. Let me tell you, this is the BEST VC I have ever seen. No clicking on this one, but everything is so clear. When you zoom in you can read labels as well as (in some cases better than) you can in the 2D cockpit. Very well detailed. My only complaint is that the weather radar doesn't work. In the 2D mode, it's really a great panel, but some things are hard to read, especially on the engineers panel. Anyway, that's not a big deal since it always has a little pop up telling you what everything is and its current reading. Very nice feature to have. Sounds are great and flying the three holer is fun. The flight model responds very well to weight. It will be EXTREMELY sluggish heavy and be just like a fighter jet when light. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean...You will do a lot more flying than with PIC, radio navigation being the only mode supported. As for the a/c systems, you have a whole engineer's panel, but this is nowhere near as much work as the 747 one. It's just not as systems oriented.742: This is a great package. I'm not going to go into as great a detail about the outside, since it is just about the same detail wise as the CS727. The one thing I will say: It eats A LOT of frames. The VC on this one is extremely simple. Yes, it also eats a lot of frames, but doesn't look that great so I never use it. The one thing this jet has is a virtual cabin if you need to stretch your legs. Moving to 2D, you're right, it's not as pretty as the CS panel, but it doesn't look bad at all. Some default gauges (the radios) but they are nicely integrated into a more realistic setting so I don't find it to be a problem. The 2D panel is much more functionality oriented and you really have to work the systems. There are three different full size engineer's panel, plus the full overhead, and everything works. Flying the whale is a little more automated than the 727, but not much. You do have a nine waypoint Inertial Navigation System that will be a big help on long flights, but it's a pain for the short hops. The 747 also has an autothrottle system and thrust computer capable of speed as well as EPR settings. I've found the autoflight system to work quite well once you learn it. That's another thing I'll mention: get ready to read. You cannot fly this without at least doing one tutorial. These are both great packages. Personally, I would go for the 727, only because that is my favorite plane. I am confident you'll be happy with either one but hopefully I've provided some insight as to what you get. Either way, you'll be doing a lot more flying, and that's what it's all about.Have fun,Marchttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Guest Scoobe

If your a systems nut, you will be happier with the 747. It really depends on what plane you like better, since they are both excellent. Also, there is a patch which improves the Virtual cockpit and interior textures of the 747. It still does not look as good as the CS727 VC, but is a close second IMO. See there website for details. If you like VC's, the CS727 can not be beat by anything ive seen so far. Its a tough choice. I like them both and fly the 747 on longer trips and CS727 for shorter trips. If you can get both, do it.Rob

I won't go into what's been said above because it would be overkill to focus on the same points. Here are the things that

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest ba747heavy

Thanks for the explanation guys. Sounds like I am going to get the CS 727.Thanks!

>Don't get me wrong, the VMAX 747-200 is a must have in the near future for anyone who has a love for airliners.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

That patch is for the CD version, I have the downloaded copy. I hope they release the rest of the patches soon because I can't wait to see what the cargo planes look like...

FS2020 

I also have all 3 aircraft and Captain Sim's 727 looks better than the RFP 744. It's a pain to learn all the systems on that 744 and to tell you the truth, I would have been more interested if it was a 400 model. But the best looking and at present best virtual cockpit ever made to date has to be the B-25 "Briefing Time". The quality of this project just blows away any aircraft hands down. Once you take it for a flight and look at those incredible panels it's hard to fly another. I still hold PIC 767 as the most advanced airliner etc but these are very differn't types.Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith[h5]San Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Flying the patched download version at this time...Base packs are patched, others will follow ASAP.Framerate issues: none before and none now. Me having a ton of RAM might help, but my CPU isn't highend at all (PIV-2.4, but worked well with a 1.6 on the same mobo too).VC: excellent. Was good before, quite adequate. Only gripe I had with the original VC was the somewhat milky glass in the windows, that's no fixed.

Guest SIX

OK, I have had the 742 RFP for about 2.5 months and I have had the CS727 for three days, now. Here is the difference, if you like systems either of these are an absolute 10 on a scale of 0 to 10. The difference is this: The 727 is impossible to bring from a cold and dark state because there is no freak'n tutorials and the documentation is slim to none. The have a great system manual and ops manual, but that doesn't really get to the nuts and bolts and tell you how to operate the thing. I am a systems nut too. I fly my 747-200RFP more than anybird in my inventory right now and I have all the PSS birds. I just have found that hte 747-200 RFP is a good bird and a good price and the supports is incredible.CS727 is totally systems oriented, however unless you have a manual you got from a friend at Boeing, good luck. I get in the cockpit and turn the APU on and then CTR+E because I have yet to figure out how to properly get this bird humming. In the CS727's defence, it is a smooth sailing bird. She is easy to maneuver and the autopilot is frustrating as hell (just like the 747 RFP) until you get used to it. It does work! You just need to learn it. I find that flying from VOR to VOR using the Navs that it is horrific in it's ability to catch and follow and will usually stray a bit going from left to right and right to left. I wish they gave us the ability to use FSNAV in a more integrated way with it. I like being able to click on a VOR or Intersection in FSnav and "fly to here". You can't do it with that machine. It is just a quick way of doing it. The dang panel on the 727 is hard to read and it is easy to read on the 747. If I had to spend the money right now and do it all again, it would be on the 747 HOWEVER I have had fun with the 727 as well. It depends wether you want to fly 5,000 nm or 750 :)My VA, Bush Logistics Corp (http://heavylhc.com), is working on a repaint of the 727 right now and we have a marvelous repaint of the 747 RFP :)-----------Wilson HinesChief CaptainBush Logistics Corp.http://heavylhc.comAOL IM: dal276wh

Guest ba747heavy

Thanks fellows, I appreciate the lengthy responses!! Wilson, your post has got me thinking, I was about ready to press the 'buy now' on the CS 727, but now I am not so sure......:D

Get the CS727, you won't regret it. RFP should be ready in a few more days...

FS2020 

Guest adlion944

I'll weigh in.The CS 727 is light years beyond the 742 in looks. The 742 RFP is so inexplicably FS98 in its panel presentation that I actually said "yuck" when I first loaded it up. The 727 is the opposite. I said "wow" when I loaded it. Beautiful views, sub panels, switches, night lighting. The VC is 2nd only to the B-25. The 742 is worse than many freeware VCs. Absolutely atrocious. They don't have high graphics standards. Messy, sloppy photoshop and hand drawing work.BTW, I've patched it and it still looks absolutely horrible. Only DC-10 Fly to Hawaii looks worse in recent payware. But some people don't care about looks, so take that for what it's worth.The external models are both good, but the 742 is a real drain on resources, yet no more detailed than the 727. I get about 20 fps on the 727 and 5 on the 742. Unacceptable. I would rather fly the RFP panel with the Posky 742 if I liked the panel.The sound is awesome on the 727 and lousy on the 742. The 742 is just the MS 737-400 sound set with a couple of new staticky, noisy samples substituted. Too rough sounding, not loud enough on the exterior. The 727 is an all new sound config file and it is sweet.The procedures are complex for both. The documentation and support seems better for the 742. Systems modelling is good for both, but probably even more complex on the 742. At least the 742 seems extremely dedicated to improving the product. They have a long way to go, though.Both fly well, but the 727 needs some tweaks to the aircraft config file. The 742 flies well, but the frames are so lousy that it turns into a slide show near SimFlyers scenery. If you look to the forward left, expect a delay of several seconds while the horrendously bad VC loads a blocky, ugly view.You have to pay for 742 repaints while 727 repaints are free a la DreamFleet.Overall, the CS 727 rates a 9 out of 10. The RFP is a 5 out of 10.I'm just a sucker for Captain Sim products. They do very nice work.The 727 has nice range to go fairly far (almost 2000 miles). So you can do transcontinental flights in the 3 holer.