Sign in to follow this  
Guest _Sheva_

OC Q6600

Guest _Sheva_

Hi all I have Q6600 at 2,4. Id like to try som overclocking. But completly have no clue how. Someone could write me here what do I need? Thanks

Well first off you want to be sure you have a good cooler, something better than the stock one.Like this:http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120_extreme-50983.htmlAnyway, hopefully someone else will chime in - I've never used an intel cpu

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi all I have Q6600 at 2,4. Id like to try som overclocking. But completly have no clue how. Someone could write me here what do I need? Thanks
You need:1. A computer that can overclock. Some off-the-shelf rigs are not set up for overclocking at all!2. If #1 is ok, then you need a good cpu cooler as Ryan suggests above.3. post your motherboard type, manufacturer, etc.4. post your memory5. SEARCH this forum because the subject of overclocking Q6600's has been discussed many many times, with an FS twist, which is good for you!6. Also there are web sites out there that give you the basics or very advanced How-to guides. Google Q6600 overclock to get started.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest D17S

It's pretty simple really. Get this CPU cooler and a 120mm fan: http://www.directron.com/u120e.htmlVerify your ram is at least rated to DDR2-800.Set your Front side buss to 400Mhz.Set your CPU volts to 1.45. Boot n' run. Your CPU clock will be 400 x 9 = 3.6Ghz.Get a trial copy of Everest and run their system stability test. Monitor the 4 core temps, core 0,1,2,3. There can be a 10C temp split. Make sure the highest is not above the low 80s. Go fly.FS performance wise, you'll be within 10% (likely above) a $1000 stock i7 (965). Not bad for 75 bucks.

www.hardocp.comThere is a WEALTH of knowledge over there regarding OC'ing. The HardOCP staff are a group of straight-no-BS folks. Many of the forum members are also extremely knowledgable. You can learn a lot from that site....and have a lot of fun doing it! :(

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

It's pretty simple really. Get this CPU cooler and a 120mm fan: http://www.directron.com/u120e.htmlVerify your ram is at least rated to DDR2-800.Set your Front side buss to 400Mhz.Set your CPU volts to 1.45. Boot n' run. Your CPU clock will be 400 x 9 = 3.6Ghz.Get a trial copy of Everest and run their system stability test. Monitor the 4 core temps, core 0,1,2,3. There can be a 10C temp split. Make sure the highest is not above the low 80s. Go fly.FS performance wise, you'll be within 10% (likely above) a $1000 stock i7 (965). Not bad for 75 bucks.
BEWAREDO NOT JUMP INTO HIGH GEAR WITHOUT READING UP ON ITGoing to 1.45 volts without testing your system may required a CMOS RAM clear if you cannot boot afterThis could happen, and you can always fry your Q6600 to the garbage can if you overdo itBUT IT IS EASY JUST READ UPDO THIS LIKE THE PROS DO ITDO NOT FOLLOW FAST UNSUPPORTED ADVICEAllen

Guest D17S

Good advice. If a user doesn't know how to clear a CMOS fault, Slooooow down. Read up on everything. Start with the basics. What's a Front side buss (FSB)? What's Core voltage? It's critical to know the basics before a builder starts Any of this. A builder's research will discover that all P-class Intel chipsets (P35 through X48) are rated to run at a FSB of 400Mhz. For instance the QX9775 runs with a 400Mhz FSB. Intel P-class chipsets will autoset a 400Mhz FSB when it sees a QX9775 in its mobo socket. All we're doing is manually setting this FSB to this 400Mhz speed. The P-class chipset was always designed to run at 400Mhz.A builder will also find Intel's max continuous CPU voltage is 1.5 volts. The builders goal is to run the minimum volts that will sustain a stable CPU clock speed. CPU clock and the required Vcore will increase together. For a 3.6Ghz overclock on the Q6600, approximately 1.40 volts are required under load. A preset to 1.45 stays within Intel's voltage limits and assures a successful initial boot (all else willing). The stress run will drop (droop) Vcore to about 1.42. Droop is good. It keeps unload/voltage rebound events well away from that 1.5v limit. A builder will also find Intel's temp limits for a Q6600 will automatically initiate temp-throttling at 95C and a full auto-shutdown at 100C (Both TjMax). The CPU is temperature protected. The Thermalright Ultra 120 will maintain approximately 80C/Tjmax in ambient temps (room temps) up to 90F. 80C is well below any temp limit. Still, running a temp monitoring program is critical during the first test runs. No one would dare just slam the throttles of a jet engine to take-off power without watching EGT . . . especially on an initial run. However, one argues, modern jet engines are temp protected too. That's nice, but good sense must prevail.Look for this stuff as any research project progresses. Look too, for the clock-for-clock advantage the i7 has over the (so called) old generation core2 design. It isn't much. Core2Quads at 3.6+ are still players . . . and will continue to be all the way through this latest Nehalem evolution of the core section of the Core2 CPU design. Nehalem's onboard memory controller and Quickpath are not positively affecting RW performance . . . . so far.

Guest simjunkie

I've had both the Q6600 @ 3.6GHz and the i7 965 (originally) @ 3.2GHz. The advantage in performance the i7 gives over the poor old Q6 is like night & day. Smooth, fluid, clear flight vs. a slide show. And that's before you get to that i7 4GHz clock. Can somebody who actually has an i7 clocked please chime in here and set the record straight about the improvements it offers in FSX? :( It's certainly better than 10%.But the Q6600 will do 9x 400MHz FSB @1.45 vcore IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CHIP. That speed isn't guarenteed on a Q6600, it's just the spot most can hit, but not all. And it'll get hot doing that. Don't let that chip run hotter Than 75 deg. C! If it won't run 3.6GHz at less than that temp under full load then run slower.-jk