Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

waly87

AI aircraft viewing range

Hi, i've always wondered and well kinda searched a bit as well on this for the past few months and haven't really seen anything on it. Hopefully this isn't a silly question. Using traffic tools from justflight to view and follow ai aircraft, the range is somewhere at the 100NM right? Now i was wondering if there was a way to effectively reduce this range so that i could in turn reduce the number of aircraft my pc has to load up for a certain area, because i do find it quite ridiculous that when im flying into heathrow for example, aircraft as far as birmingham in the west midlands are also loaded up.So, basically what i'm asking is if there is a way to reduce the range to say something like 30-40NM or thereabout as i think this would drastically improve performance when flying into areas with high traffica volume.Oh, i use WOAI and some other self compiled traffic files for AI

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Not that I know of, sorry. The range actually varies, depending on the region you are in at the moment.

Hi,Not that I know of, sorry. The range actually varies, depending on the region you are in at the moment.
Thank you for your response. Hmm it varies?....by how much though? and em, what's the reason for this variation please?

Hi,Sometimes it has to do with intersecting traffic areas nearby, but I don't know the actual logic behind that. I have heard that it can be as little around 50 NM. Normally it's the typical 100 NM in most places.

As I understand it, for AI FS divides the world up into rectangles. All the AI in the rectangle the user plane is in and the 8 rectangles surrounding the user aircraft are active. These active aircraft are what shows up in the Traffic Toolbox Explorer.I don't remember the exact dimensions of the rectangles but 40 nm wide by 60 nm tall sticks in my head for some reason.So the distance you can see active aircraft depends on their location and your position in your rectangle. Meaning that if you are near the west edge of your rectangle you will be able to see active AI almost twice as far to the east as to the west.In terms of being able to change those distances, I think that is hard-coded into the sim and therefore not changeable. The only user setting would be the traffic density percentage.Hope this is of some help.