Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art_P

Drunk Piper J3 Pilot

I recently added local AI traffic including the FSX default J3 Cub. This guy taxi's an airplane like the farmer that steals the plane at airshows. All of the AI traffic I've noticed follows the taxiway links, but this plane often misses a turn continuing in a wide arc across the grass, even across an active runway, and eventually finds his way back to the taxiway and continues on. It actually seems quite amazing to me that an AI aircraft could get so far off course and find it's way back again. One time, instead of a push-back from the parking spot and turning around to follow the parking link to the apron link, this plane went straight ahead across a taxiway and runway to finally turn around and come back to the taxi links at the parking spot and follow them to the runway.We all know how badly many of the AI landings are, but the entertainment value of AI is getting better and better for me. Maybe this has always been going on and I haven't noticed it, maybe my AI flight plans are too much for the program, and maybe it's something else for which I can thank Bill Gates and Vista.Also, I've noticed that fuel trucks usually come to an AI plane just before it leaves it's parking spot, but the truck comes to the J3 just after it parks. I'm also seeing more stalled fuel trucks and aircraft that never get going again, except I can taxi up to one of these aircraft stopped on the taxiway and the tower will then tell them to continue taxiing and they continue on.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm also seeing more stalled fuel trucks and aircraft that never get going again, except I can taxi up to one of these aircraft stopped on the taxiway and the tower will then tell them to continue taxiing and they continue on.
For AI aircraft that are stuck when airport vehicles are enabled, try the slew trick. In the traffictoolbox, set slew on and then off for the AI aircraft. Often that gets them going again. SuperTrafficBoard watches out for these stuck aircraft and applies the slew automatically. Those that fail to release after that are deleted to offer the parking space to someone else.regardssimon

For AI aircraft that are stuck when airport vehicles are enabled, try the slew trick. In the traffictoolbox, set slew on and then off for the AI aircraft. Often that gets them going again. SuperTrafficBoard watches out for these stuck aircraft and applies the slew automatically. Those that fail to release after that are deleted to offer the parking space to someone else.regardssimon
Thanks for that. With SuperTrafficBoard, I guess you still need AI Smooth to alleviate go-arounds?Regarding that J3 Cub, he has now figured out that he can keep from going wide on turns while taxiing by turning early and cutting the corners thru the grass. Artificial Intelligence is amazing.

I ,too, have seen the default piper act in this manner when I've written a flightplan for it. I could be wrong ,but I don't think I've ever seen the piper at any airpports used as AI. It will wander all over the airport, maybe make it to the runway, and then fly off in it's own direction. There was an addon B-1 bomber that would jump around before takeoff. It would also land a mile short of the runway and travel undrground. Some planes are just not ment to be AI.Bob

Thanks for that. With SuperTrafficBoard, I guess you still need AI Smooth to alleviate go-arounds?
Not necessarily, although AISmooth works just fine when used at the same time. AISmooth is an excellent piece of freeware, and we wanted to see if we could expand on some of the problems it sets out to solve.SuperTrafficBoard has a feature called the flight controller that is designed to try and improve the AI traffic flows around busy airports. One aspect I already described above, looking out for aircraft stuck in pre/post support and sending slew commands to release them. Another is monitoring approach airspace. When we spot a minimum separation conflict (around 5nm to runway) between AI aircraft, one of the parties is moved directly to an arrival gate. That aircraft then follows it's normal procedures and departs at a later time according to its schedule. We also look out for taxiing arrival aircraft that get deleted by FSX because they become stuck and time out (to relieve congestion). We capture those deletions and recreate the aircraft at the gate with a departure schedule. One last thing is we configure flaps on departing aircraft when they turn onto the runway, quite a nice effect.RegardsSimon