Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

What Scenery Add On(s) Are a Must

Folks,Pretty much new to FSX and would like to know what scenery add ons are a must for FSX? I would like to get as realistic a view out the window as possible. Also, is there any particular order in which add ons should be installed?I've just installed FSX with the Acceleration pack. My PC specs are:i920 Overclocked to 4Ghz300GB VelociraptorGTX 2956GB RAMVista Ultimate 64bitThanks in advance for any feedback!Cheers,

Guest JimC1702

If you fly VFR, Flight1's "Ultimate Terrain X" is a must. It provides accurate roads, railroads, rivers, streams, lakes, and coastlines. Also new urban landclass and nightlighting. I wouldn't want to fly without it.Jim

If you fly VFR, Flight1's "Ultimate Terrain X" is a must. It provides accurate roads, railroads, rivers, streams, lakes, and coastlines. Also new urban landclass and nightlighting. I wouldn't want to fly without it.Jim
Great, thanks Jim. If you can think of any others please pass them along! :)Cheers

FTX has the best scenery IMHO, currently only for Australia but soon for the Pacific Northwest of the US. They have a demo for Tasmania you can download to try it out. http://fullterrain.com/freeware.htmlBy the way, which motherboard did you go with for your Core i7 system?Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

FTX has the best scenery IMHO, currently only for Australia but soon for the Pacific Northwest of the US. They have a demo for Tasmania you can download to try it out. http://fullterrain.com/freeware.htmlBy the way, which motherboard did you go with for your Core i7 system?Cheers,Noel.
Hi, using the EVGA x58 and a single GTX 295.Cheers

I, also, highly recommend FTX. That scenery is fantastic whetherI'm flying low level or at 15-20K. I always fly a prop 'down under'as I'm in no hurry to get where I'm going :) Paul - going to enjoy the Sydney and Surfers paradise areas on the ground IRL come May :)

Wide-5.jpg

If you're looking for something for the enviorment[ie,sky,water,clouds] I really like FEX, also available from Flight 1,it gives you a choice of some very nice combonations and is very fps friendly.fsx2009-01-1811-04-50-73.jpg

Guest JimBrown

Here's the list of add-ons I consider essential:FSGenesis terrain mesh.GEX terrrain texturesUTX vector graphics (roads, rivers, coastlines, lakes, railways...)REX environment textures (clouds, sky, water, airport runways, taxiways)ASA weather engine.Note: REX includes a weather engine, however ASA is, in my opinion, much better.As for the order of installation, it does not really matter. However, certain add-ons need to have things done to them prior to installing other add-ons. I can't remember how it goes now, but I know that information is out there.Hope that helps,...jim

I'm all about FTX as well! It has an incredibly active and dedicated development team that just keep spitting out both free and payware additions to the 4 base packages.

Anything from FlyTampa, in particular Kai Tak and TNCM.I do mostly bush flying, so most of the stuff I like are, however, still on FS9, e.g. Glacier Bay/Misty Fjords/Tongass Fjords (to be replaced by FTX at some point) and all the Georender stuff.

I'm using GEX (Ground Environment Xtreme) , UTX (Ultimate Terrain X) and REX (Real Environment Xtreme) all of which are working out very nicely. Looks like this for me (720p Youtube video) though my ground textures weren't as cranked as they could have been when I captured this as I was still screwing around with things.EDIT: Ah yes, first post... hi all. :)

Hello datter,Awesome Aviator!! Does the weather in REX work for you?This is the one thing people who have it complain about,well that and long load times.

Thanks for the replies folks. So far, this is what I plan to run:FS GenesisGEXUTXI plan to install Genesis first, then GEX and then UTX. Hope to have that all done today.Cheers!

Hello datter,Awesome Aviator!! Does the weather in REX work for you?This is the one thing people who have it complain about,well that and long load times.
I've not had any trouble with it at all, but I've heard reports of people with issues as well. The main loading problem is when injecting your chosen textures into the sim which can take quite a few minutes, though you don't have to do that more than once. After that there's some loading once you're in the cockpit, which happens each time. You'll see a green bar at the top with messages saying REX is connected, copying textures and what not. That part only takes 30 to 45 seconds or so for me... although there is sometimes a delay of a minute or more before it starts happening for some reason. Slightly annoying yes, but all in all I find the end results worth the wait.

Hi Patrick.. keep your eyes peeled. We are entering testing for the SP tomorrow. You will be presently surprised at the fixes AND changes coming. It's more like REX2.0.Have a great day :)

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com