Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest FrancoisH

NAV Armed ans APx

Hello again,Flying today and all other days, I noticed that at first activation of the AP, after take-off, I generally get AP2 active and have to press a second time AP to revert back to AP1... Is that normal ? Should not be the AP1 the first to be activated ?Regards.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The "normal" is which ever the system configures. It automatically switches between two controllers to put both to use. This reduces the probability for a covert error and improves overall reliability.

The "normal" is which ever the system configures. It automatically switches between two controllers to put both to use. This reduces the probability for a covert error and improves overall reliability.
Hi dan.In ITVV video of Virgin Atlantic 747-200 the captain explains that if the PF is the captain, AP1 is used. If the PF is the FO, AP2 is used.(They used the 747-200 with 2 autopilots).If I understand you correctly, in the MD-11 the system remembers which AP was used last time and therefore knows what AP is to be used? No matter who is PF at the time?I always pressed the AP twice, to get AP1 if I sat left. So, I probably violated some rules here................ (I did not find this in the manuals, could be my age... :( )Greetings,Wijjnand (EHBK)

It's normal. When you press AUTOFLIGHT the first time, AFS1 is used, and that is what advances the thrust levers to the takeoff setting. Pressing AUTOFLIGHT a second time to engage the AP will switch to AFS2 and AP2.