Sign in to follow this  
jdyoung

Confused about runway assignments

RC really adds to the whole FSX experience but I've yet to figure out runway assignments. :( I was on approach (default 737-800) into San Diego. ASA was running and RC ATIS reported winds 225@22. I was assigned runway 27 for landing - makes sense. As I crossed the numbers I see an AI plane lined up opposite of me ready for departure on runway 9! Yikes! I barely had time for the high speed turnoff before I get run over. I never heard any transmission (yes...I have on Interact with AI and AI chatter) for that aircraft to enter runway 9. Also, when I departed KIAH (Houston, TX) for this trip the winds were 120 at 6. I was told to taxi to runway 33R when 15L (opposite end) was clearly the better choice. AI planes were landing/departing runways 15L and 8R. I simply requested runway 15L and taxied on my merry way. This happens from time to time. I get ATC telling me to taxi to a runway that is different that what ATIS told me and different than what the AI use. Lastly, I've noticed when I leave the frequency to check for weather the ATIS information rarely matches what I hear from ATC once I begin my approach. For instance with ATIS I may hear winds 120@33 landing and departing runways 17L but instead I get vectored by ATC to runway 33 and the winds are calm! It almost sounds like the ATIS winds given are winds aloft. Perhaps that is user error and I do not have my ASA configured correctly. I'm not sure. Anyway, the ATIS runways in use and the ATC assigned runways in use seldom match and have created some great near misses. Any ideas? :( Almost forgot.....yes I've run Rebuild Scenery DB. :( Thanks for any ideas.John

RC really adds to the whole FSX experience but I've yet to figure out runway assignments. :( I was on approach (default 737-800) into San Diego. ASA was running and RC ATIS reported winds 225@22. I was assigned runway 27 for landing - makes sense. As I crossed the numbers I see an AI plane lined up opposite of me ready for departure on runway 9! Yikes! I barely had time for the high speed turnoff before I get run over. I never heard any transmission (yes...I have on Interact with AI and AI chatter) for that aircraft to enter runway 9. Also, when I departed KIAH (Houston, TX) for this trip the winds were 120 at 6. I was told to taxi to runway 33R when 15L (opposite end) was clearly the better choice. AI planes were landing/departing runways 15L and 8R. I simply requested runway 15L and taxied on my merry way. This happens from time to time. I get ATC telling me to taxi to a runway that is different that what ATIS told me and different than what the AI use. Lastly, I've noticed when I leave the frequency to check for weather the ATIS information rarely matches what I hear from ATC once I begin my approach. For instance with ATIS I may hear winds 120@33 landing and departing runways 17L but instead I get vectored by ATC to runway 33 and the winds are calm! It almost sounds like the ATIS winds given are winds aloft. Perhaps that is user error and I do not have my ASA configured correctly. I'm not sure. Anyway, the ATIS runways in use and the ATC assigned runways in use seldom match and have created some great near misses. Any ideas? :( Almost forgot.....yes I've run Rebuild Scenery DB. :( Thanks for any ideas.John
do you have version 4.3?if you get your departure atis, before any of the ai are assigned runways, then rc decides based on wind, and length which runway to use. then when the ai are making their way through their clearances, they may get a different runway. if you contact ground before any of them do, you may get a different runway. give the ai a chance to get started before you get atis, and contact ground.same on arrival, at 60-70 miles out, i may not see what the ai are doing at the arrival airport, so i decide on the runway based on ils, length, and wind. when you get close, there may be more ai to observe, and if you get your weather at 45 miles out, you'll get a better idea what runway they are usingjd

do you have version 4.3?if you get your departure atis, before any of the ai are assigned runways, then rc decides based on wind, and length which runway to use. then when the ai are making their way through their clearances, they may get a different runway. if you contact ground before any of them do, you may get a different runway. give the ai a chance to get started before you get atis, and contact ground.same on arrival, at 60-70 miles out, i may not see what the ai are doing at the arrival airport, so i decide on the runway based on ils, length, and wind. when you get close, there may be more ai to observe, and if you get your weather at 45 miles out, you'll get a better idea what runway they are usingjd
Thanks jd,Yes I'm using version 4.3.3845.I usually fire up fsx, then asa, then rc. Once all that is settled then I begin FsPX and grab the ATIS. It's usually 1-2 minutes after starting RC. I'll try waiting a bit longer. I'm still wondering why at 60-70 miles out RC gives me arrival winds that are different than what they are when I arrive. Doesn't RC run off the weather that ASA is feeding into FSX? It seems strange that I can get a complete 180 in winds in less than 10 minutes. Could it be because KSAN has an ILS for runway 9 and only LOC for runway 27 - in that case RC would assign the ILS runway for the AI even if the winds dictated another to use? :( Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. RC is still wonderful to use and I look forward to the next version! :( John

RC does not control the runway AI use. It is the other way around :)

RC does not control the runway AI use. It is the other way around :)
Ooops....thanks. Guess I got it wackbards! :(