Sign in to follow this  
FleaJump

MD11 Download Error Corrupts Entire PMDG Fleet

At long last I purchased my MD11, and the combo pack download link arrived for FS9 and FSX. So much for the good news.For the past month or so, my internet provider has methodically fleeced me by supplying way less bandwidth than I paid for. This resulted in my 303 MB MD11 combo pack download process slowing down to a crawl that lasted for 5 excruciating hours. My worst fears about the integrity of the downloads were then realized when both versions of the MD11 wound up riddled with errors that prevented the FS9 MD11 from installing or working. My thanks goes out to PMDG staffer Paul, for his quick response to the MD11 fiasco I reported, and with his help I can just about see the light at the end of the tunnel. The solutuon outlined by Paul should see me out of the woods with respect to the MD11 for FS9, but now a larger and more worrisome development has occurred in the wake of my failed MD11 download, and this time the damage seems to have spread to the PMDG 737 series and the PMDG 747, my all-time favourite FS9 addon aircraft.Using the "Create Flight" option to start a flight with the PMDG 747, I am now greeted with a fatal error warning which alerts me to my "version" being out of date, and also mentions a need to update FSUIPC, a program which I have never in the past purchased or used. The only way to close that error message has been to exit FS9, but even after re-starting FS9, the PMDG 747 has remained totally inaccessible. Previous to my failed MD11 download attempt, the PMDG 737s and 747 did all work perfectly in every respect, and this fatal error only began to occur after my MD11 download failure, which is why I presume the two events are in some way linked.Next I tried to fly the PMDG 737, only to discover that the instrument panel primary flight displays and EICAS screens all loaded up entirely blank and unusable, even though the 737 appeared normal in all other respects, with its engines running and flight controls operational. I am completely baffled as to how my attempted MD11 download could have been responsible for disabling the entire PMDG 737 fleet and the PMDG 747, but that seems to be exactly what has occurred here.Is there anyone out there who has also witnessed the new MD11 file wreak similar havoc on their pre-existing and prefectly functioning PMDG 737 and 747 aircraft downloads ? I have never before carried out a re-install of any PMDG product, so I am reluctant to take that step unless it does turn out to be only option that will work to revive my PMDG 737 fleet and the PMDG 747. Also, I would probably have never have purchased the PMDG MD11 if I had an inkling about that download's potential for disrupting the normal operation of all my previous PMDG downloads.Does anyone have any idea of how I can begin to unravel what happened here ? I did a search into the causative factors behind FS9 crashes, but could not find any reports of the specific problem I have now stumbled accross. Any information on how I can escape this Twilight Zone, and get my 737s and 747 back alive, would be much appreciated.ThanksTony Selario

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Presumably everything else in your fleet is OK. Simple thing first - back-up the fs9.cfg file, delete the original and start-up FS9. More tiresome thing second - uninstall all the PMDG using add remove progs for everything except 737 and the removal tool for the 737. Not a bad idea (if you feel safe to do so) to go through the registry to kick out any other bits (back-up registry first). It may not help but I tried. :( Good luck

Use the control panel to remove the 737/747, use Flight1 registry repair tool (free and safe) to clean up any errors there then install the 737/747. I should mention you should also reinstall liveries as well as all saved panel states and flights.You will need to use your order id to re-validate the installs, you can get this info from your account at pmdg.I have had a few interactions between the sims, but those involved installing beta patches and removing them using the installer instead of the control panel and were hard to duplicate. Starting will a clean install always seemed to fix things. The problems I have had are not normally found in "release" versions but it is worth a try.

Dan Downs KCRP

My thanks to Dan and William. Sounds like the re-install option may be the only way out, and I can't say that I look forward to trying my hand at that sort of open-heart surgery. If anyone can think of a less radical fix to get my PMDG fleet working, I'd sure like to that give that a shot before going the whole hog on a full re-install.By the way, does a re-install involve a repeat download of the entire fleet ? With my internet link as slow as it is now, the prospect of any download from the intenet fills me with dread.Tony Selario

You can try to run the registry repair, regenerate the cfg file and run the installer to see if it has a repair option. Failing that then I think the reinstall might be required.You (hopefully) have the original installers in a safe place. No need to re-download anything. The biggest pain are the liveries so keep those out of the equation until you verify everything is working. MSFS structure requires that liveries be reinstalled if you reinstall the airplane, and sometimes the OS (XP or Vista) will give you problems if you try to reinstall a livery that hasn't been uninstalled even tho MSFS requires it... so to keep microslop happy you should uninstall each livery, then the airplanes. Do the clean up, install airplanes, make sure they work and then install liveries.I've gone through this several times as a result of my beta testing, but I still do not think this problem occurs very often with release versions. Anyway, it shouldn't take you longer than an hour or less.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks again. Dan. Regarding the liveries, I did at one point download several of them, but after a few hair-pulling sessions trying to apply them, I finally gave up and settled for the PMDG stock paint-job. Those livery downloads must be in my system someplace, but I never did see just where they wound up, so I can only hope they don't return from the dead to punish me for having so little computer experience, while I am stumbling through my attempt at executing the steps you have mentioned. I might get a buddy with a bit more computer savvy to stop by and oversee the file erasures and other perilous adventures in store. My grandpa always said that two heads are beter than one, even if they are only sheep's heads.

Report back on how this journey turns out... maybe your friend can spot something we can't see from here.

Dan Downs KCRP