Sign in to follow this  
Guest SpeedBird192

PMDG MD-11 FSX only - opinions?

Guest SpeedBird192

Would like to hear from you folks that have the MD-11 installed and running under FSX SP2 (including DX10 mode).Thanks Rob.

Would like to hear from you folks that have the MD-11 installed and running under FSX SP2 (including DX10 mode).Thanks Rob.
I've had the MD-11 since lauch. I've had some fantastic long haul flights with it. The only problems i had were those of my own making (not reading the manual). Also, it severely brought out the 'OOM' problems on my PC. Once I got my PC as it should be (as per Nick Needham's list), then all was well.Thus far i've had no issues with FMC or any other equipment.Sorry, I can't comment on DX10 - don't use it.

Guest diajohn2

Rob, I don't use DX10 either. The PMDG MD11 is everything you may have experienced in other payware and more. You can't go wrong with the aircraft. Now the learning curve is very steep but worth every minute.JohnBAV317

Rob, I don't use DX10 either. The PMDG MD11 is everything you may have experienced in other payware and more. You can't go wrong with the aircraft. Now the learning curve is very steep but worth every minute.JohnBAV317
The aircraft is absolutely top notch, but my FSX performance wasn't acceptable. Regardless of what people say, 16FPS isn't good enough (read "smooth" enough) for me.

The aircraft is absolutely top notch, but my FSX performance wasn't acceptable. Regardless of what people say, 16FPS isn't good enough (read "smooth" enough) for me.
Yeah 16 fps isn't too good. I get 36 in the VC with mine though :( PMDG did an excellent job making it a framerate friendly plane. It's the only heavy I fly anymore.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest SkullxBones

Any problems I had with it initially were easily solved. It gets very good FPS for such a complex model.

Guest abulaafia

The best simulation so far. Well executed, technically accurate, very immersive and immense fun to fly. The only heavy left on my HD now. I get VC fps in the 40s and 50s with my PC, so no problems there. More than any individual aspect it's the overall experience that makes the MD-11 so much fun. I do mostly cargo flights now, something I have always neglected, most under 5 hours, which fits my usage pattern best. You have the option to fly it almost totally automated, which very little manual work apart from loading a flight plan, and you can spend hours simulating every single system aspect, from FP entry to refueling, etc. Nothing I have seen so far in FS9,FSX and X-Plane comes even remotely close.

Best executed aircraft available for FSX (and I imagine FS9 though I don't own the FS9 version) and PMDG set a new level of excellence with this aircraft. :( I get 25 fps in the VC on my Q6600 so its FPS friendly.Also, PMDG are about to release a new SP for it this weekend.Just buy it already, you'll like it!

Matthew S

Guest cliffie1931
Since learning about the PMDG stable, and semi mastering their 747-400, I hardly use any aircraft other their 747-400 and the MD-11 (ever since it's release) and learn more on every flight. What a pleasure!A source of continual learning is the use of it's Flight Management Computer and how to find and use the right charts for planning your flights. Don't be put off by the apparent complexity of the FMC. There's an exellent Tutorial and the helpfulness of the Members of the PMDG forum is outstanding. And if you still need help know that the PMDG site assistence is superb.Finally may I suggest that you also get their 747-00? It comes with flight plans that are useful in the early stages of getting to grips with making your own flight plans.Cliff

Guest SkullxBones
Finally may I suggest that you also get their 747-00? It comes with flight plans that are useful in the early stages of getting to grips with making your own flight plans.Cliff
Just make sure you have a decent computer, it's hard or frames. Their 747 is still my favorite. I prefer the flight deck and navigation on the 747 over the MD-11.