Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

btacon

You don't want the truth...You can't handle the truth!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Aside from the FAA's comments that the data portrays an inaccurate picture, it also sounds like the FAA could be going back on its word as an attempt to give the airlines a break; after all, if the data, inaccurate or not, makes people afraid to fly, then the airlines already on the verge of declaring bankruptcy could well be pushed into it by even a temporary dip in passenger numbers.Any other ideas?

Could the truth that can't be handled be that there is more trash around large cities?

"You want me on this wall, you need me on this wall" -- Col. Jessup, A Few Good Menhttp://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/03/f...ays-public.htmlbt
I'd agree with the Faa. Bird strikes have been going on since the beginning of time but the media was never interested until the US Air bird strike. Just because they are recently interested, nothing has really changed, and I can't see taking down an industry whose safety record is unparalled in any other transportation mode.

I'd agree with the Faa. Bird strikes have been going on since the beginning of time but the media was never interested until the US Air bird strike. Just because they are recently interested, nothing has really changed, and I can't see taking down an industry whose safety record is unparalled in any other transportation mode.
Geofa...Just because the "media" is interested in FAA data, does not mean it should now be made less accessible. What's next? Air crash data? Airworthiness testing? Just because incidents happen and data is collected, it is rather much of a leap to assume that folks will now give up flying in droves as you suggest as a possible outcome. Airplanes have been crashing since the beginning of flight, yet still people fly. Secrecy for secrecy sake is bad business, bad for aviation, and bad for the public in general.bt

Geofa...Just because the "media" is interested in FAA data, does not mean it should now be made less accessible. What's next? Air crash data? Airworthiness testing? Just because incidents happen and data is collected, it is rather much of a leap to assume that folks will now give up flying in droves as you suggest as a possible outcome. Airplanes have been crashing since the beginning of flight, yet still people fly. Secrecy for secrecy sake is bad business, bad for aviation, and bad for the public in general.bt
I just got done watching the news this morning. The media is hyping this-just like other areas like bird flu, mad cows disease etc. that come around on a routine basis. I did not see them mention that there have been 6000 or so reported bird strikes a year since records have been kept, that the last one that brought a commercial airliner down was quite a few years ago, and that there are noise making devices at airports with birds-that everyone is aware of the problem and does their best to keep a strike from happening, that air traffic controllers point out possible areas of birds when they can, and that statistically-you probably have more of a chance of being beaned with a meteorite (there are several hundred a year) than going down in a plane from a bird strike. Yes the hype will keep people from flying-my parents who are nervous flyers have already said because of birds they will not fly now.Airplanes have been striking birds for quite a long time -just look at the history. It has never been hyped like this though. I don't recall the media even ever reporting it?! The stats have been out there for years-why not until now?I think the stats should be accesable-to those who need them and can understand them-not hype them to sell advertising. imho the media is out of control, and not just on this issue. There was a time when the media had "reporters". Not the case anymore-I deal with them all the time.Fact of the matter is there have been a number of fatal commercial crashes this year that had nothing to do with birds. The one crash that had to do with birds had no fatalities. How come we keep hearing about the birds?.. Is that balance or good reporting?

imho the media is out of control, and not just on this issue. There was a time when the media had "reporters". Not the case anymore-I deal with them all the time.
I could not agree more Geofa. While I'm all for free speech, in my opinion they are way out of control and cannot see what they are doing. By scare mongering and hyping they make bad situations 10 times worse. The current economic crisis was made worse by the press making wild, sweeping statements, causing people to panic and make rash judgments, yet a couple of years ago when they should have held the banks to account for lending silly money to people who couldn't afford it, they were not only silent, they advertised it! They make stars out of idiots who only talent is being stupid and then poor scorn upon the truly talented. If you look at when they report about any studies being done - the headline reads 'eating more **** helps cut heart disease'. Then you read the small print and you see the study was only done on 10 people, or they fail to mention all the other bad things eating more of **** does to you.Although is it the press' fault - or ours for listening to it in the first place?As for the bird strike issue - of course the data should be accessible, but it should be kept in context and not quoted out of context to sell papers. Although I can understand where the FAA are coming from. If the press start scaring people with this data, airlines and airports will just stop reporting bird strikes.