Sign in to follow this  
c152flyboy

will DX10 and FSX ever be more then a preview?

i just had a thought and was wondering what others might say. If Microsoft is really committed to flight games as they put it, do you think they will ever make a patch for FSx that would make it work fully on DX10 versus just being a preview? it could certainly make FSX look and feel better and they would not have to make a whole new version like FS 11 may have been. Just like other opinions.kyle

While you may find it unbearably difficult to accept Kyle, the sad fact is that there is no longer sufficient staff remaining in the ACES studio to complete the work which you are asking for. The code has evidently been retired and will never likely see the light of day again.If I may offer an observation without risking the movement of this thread to the Hanger Chat forum I've recently rediscovered the power and beauty of FS9. I've upgraded my rig so that I can now patch four monitors into two graphics cards, and with a Core i7 chip I can run FS9 with the display sliders all the way to the right, and with really phenomenal frame rates. The VCs look so good spread across three WS monitors, and my point is that I anticipate finding FS9 useful for quite a long time to come. Within the next two or three years the available hardware will be able to do the same with FSX and the consequence of which is that FSX could be a viable sim for as much as four or five years after that. On the basis of these rough figures Microsoft may not feel inclined to re-evaluate the FS situation until as late as 2015.By then the whole platform environment will have been transformed beyond recognition which will likely require a rewrite of the most basic core utilities. There may already be a DX11 by then which will make any consideration of the DX10 API a matter of little interest to those who steer future developments through the choppy seas of our present technological and economic uncertainties.

Mike Beckwith

While you may find it unbearably difficult to accept Kyle, the sad fact is that there is no longer sufficient staff remaining in the ACES studio to complete the work which you are asking for. The code has evidently been retired and will never likely see the light of day again.If I may offer an observation without risking the movement of this thread to the Hanger Chat forum I've recently rediscovered the power and beauty of FS9. I've upgraded my rig so that I can now patch four monitors into two graphics cards, and with a Core i7 chip I can run FS9 with the display sliders all the way to the right, and with really phenomenal frame rates. The VCs look so good spread across three WS monitors, and my point is that I anticipate finding FS9 useful for quite a long time to come. Within the next two or three years the available hardware will be able to do the same with FSX and the consequence of which is that FSX could be a viable sim for as much as four or five years after that. On the basis of these rough figures Microsoft may not feel inclined to re-evaluate the FS situation until as late as 2015.By then the whole platform environment will have been transformed beyond recognition which will likely require a rewrite of the most basic core utilities. There may already be a DX11 by then which will make any consideration of the DX10 API a matter of little interest to those who steer future developments through the choppy seas of our present technological and economic uncertainties.
I've been thinking of re-installing FS9 too. There are tons of add-ons available, and the development for FSX aircraft is extremely slow.

We do know MS has people working on FS, but we don

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What we -the public- know is that MS has created an entirely new studio team and that all of the personnel so far are ex-ACES developers. There are however a few individuals who do have more detailed knowledge of what's currently under discussion, but of course are under a very strict NDA... :( What that means is that anything you read in public is, as you've termed it, "strong opinions" which may or may not be based on actual facts.... :(
Okay Bill,Blink your left eye if we're in for a "Flying Game," and blink your right eye if we're in for something more serious. :( Should I still be prepping my Lua skills?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.