Sign in to follow this  
Nick75

FSX freezes after minimizing the screen

Does anyone have a remedy for this? It's slowly driving me insane!I fly FSX in full-screen. Whenever I need to select something from the FSX menu toolbar (i.e. by pressing the ALT key, selecting whatever it is I want to select, then going back to my flight), I then have to ALT+ENTER twice over to get back into full-screen. The first time it goes into windowed mode, and then back to full-screen mode.Sometimes however, when I do the second ALT+ENTER, FSX will freeze whilst in windowed mode, and so then I have to restart FSX. This seems to happen with all kinds of different video card drivers I've used so I'm doubtful as to whether it's a driver issue. I mean...what is it with FSX and minimising the screen? Why does it make it either freeze or crash all the goddamn time?! I can't seem to start a flight nowadays until I've spent the best part of an hour messing about having to reload the program about 4 or 5 times over!!! Does anyone else have a similar problem to this? Do you just cope with it or is there some kind of fix I dont know about??Any help would be appreciated.

Guest firehawk44
Does anyone have a remedy for this? It's slowly driving me insane!I fly FSX in full-screen. Whenever I need to select something from the FSX menu toolbar (i.e. by pressing the ALT key, selecting whatever it is I want to select, then going back to my flight), I then have to ALT+ENTER twice over to get back into full-screen. The first time it goes into windowed mode, and then back to full-screen mode.Sometimes however, when I do the second ALT+ENTER, FSX will freeze whilst in windowed mode, and so then I have to restart FSX. This seems to happen with all kinds of different video card drivers I've used so I'm doubtful as to whether it's a driver issue. I mean...what is it with FSX and minimising the screen? Why does it make it either freeze or crash all the goddamn time?! I can't seem to start a flight nowadays until I've spent the best part of an hour messing about having to reload the program about 4 or 5 times over!!! Does anyone else have a similar problem to this? Do you just cope with it or is there some kind of fix I dont know about??Any help would be appreciated.
You should stay in full screen. Just hit the Alt key to bring up the menu, do your thing then hit the Alt key and hold it and the menu will disappear. FSX is not good going to windowed mode then back to full screen mode. Best regards,Jim

Does anyone have a remedy for this? It's slowly driving me insane!I fly FSX in full-screen. Whenever I need to select something from the FSX menu toolbar (i.e. by pressing the ALT key, selecting whatever it is I want to select, then going back to my flight), I then have to ALT+ENTER twice over to get back into full-screen. Does anyone else have a similar problem to this? Do you just cope with it or is there some kind of fix I dont know about??Any help would be appreciated.
If all you are after, is to get rid of the menu bar, hold down the alt key for a couple of seconds and it will disappear... :( No need to hit alt-enter.

Bert

Hi Nick - What video card do you have? I sometimes have a somewhat similar problem and so do a bunch of other folks who have certain Nvidia cards. Mine is a Gforce 6800gs 256mb.. It's my understanding that the 6800 series (and some others) have a similar problem . Also, I sometimes had the problem where their screen freezes when you try to select a menu item which in full screen mode - therefore I fly in windowed mode all the time and don't have that problem. Pity, because I like full screen - don't like windowed. Such is life. The only solution I'm aware of is to run in windowed mode all the time - or get another series video card which isn't affected. Sorry, I don't know which are not affected. Hope this helps. Howard

Thanks, I never thought about simply holding down the ALT key! That's a simple answer to that little problem! :( Say though, if I needed to minimise FSX for some other reason (i.e. I wanted to briefly check out the Internet or some other app during an FSX flight & I wanted to minimise it straight to the task bar from full screen mode). What about minimising it by pressing the Windows Start key? Only I cant maximise FSX again if I try to do this, I click on it on the task bar and it wont come back up? Is there no way to minimise FSX from full screen mode and then maximise it again as such? Im sure I was able to do this with FS9. Howard: Makes me wonder if this is specific to NVidia cards?? I have an 8800GTX card & never had any problem with the screen freezing when accessing menus from the FSX toolbar as such, just problems when minimising from full screen mode.