Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

briansommers

cant do a fresh install of FS9

ok, I have bought FS9 THREE TIMES yes I have 3 copies. over the years.I was ready to do a fresh install of FS9 again this morning...only to discover that some of the guagues would not read off of cd 2 - well since I have another cd2 I was able to get through cd2 - then came cd3 - it wouldn't even read cd3 from my newest fs9 so I installed an old cd3 - got through there just fine..then came cd4 - I HAVE 3 CD4'S and NONE OF THEM READ... !!!and that is why everything is so odd. they used to work years ago.. ?? but now?IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO..? or try?thanksBS

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

ok, I have bought FS9 THREE TIMES yes I have 3 copies. over the years.I was ready to do a fresh install of FS9 again this morning...only to discover that some of the guagues would not read off of cd 2 - well since I have another cd2 I was able to get through cd2 - then came cd3 - it wouldn't even read cd3 from my newest fs9 so I installed an old cd3 - got through there just fine..then came cd4 - I HAVE 3 CD4'S and NONE OF THEM READ... !!!and that is why everything is so odd. they used to work years ago.. ?? but now?IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO..? or try?thanksBS
Hello, I'd try a different CD-ROM/DVD reader if you have another or it could be that the drive lens is dirty.?? To have 3 #4's that do not work is strange. The alternative is to email M$ and splain your problem and maybe they would replace the disc(s) that are faulty. Sorry I cannot think of anything else.Douglas

Brian:This EXACT thing happened to me years back and I replaced the CD drive and all was fine. I can't imagine that ALL 3 of your CD 4's are bad.

yep! that did it, I swamped mine out with my wife's pooter and all is good! she hardly ever uses her dvd/cd drive anyway, so... Im glad it is fixed!

Did you even try cleaning the CD drive? You do have a cleaning disk, right? :(

if you ever do get it to work, you can also just backup the freshly installed "virgin" FS9 onto a harddrive or tape-drive (tape drives have the longest lifespan compared to HDs and CD/DVDs). There's a thread a while back in which myself and a few others gives directions on how you can transfer FS9 from one machine to another (or one harddrive to another).it's an easy process. I recently just transferred my entire fs9 install to a new laptop in under 1 hour (including 120+ planes, 300 AI planes, tons of addon sceneries, etc)...it was painless and worked like a charm.-feng