Sign in to follow this  
Carabou

Dual Core or Quad Core at same speed?

Hi Folks, I'm looking for a new computer and was wondering if a unclocked Dual Core processor (3.0 gig) would be as good or better than a unclocked Quad Core processor at 2.x gig. In reading the forum messages I understand that processor speed is of major importance to FSX. Example: I've read that a Quad Core processor with a speed of 3.0 will be faster for FSX than a I7 at 2.66. Now my question is would a unclocked Dual Core processor of 3.0 be faster (and better) for FSX than a unclocked Quad Core at 2.x.If not, then what would be the disadvantages of Dual Core over Quad Core for FSX? From what I've seen you can get dual core (old I realize) at very good prices (what I need).Thanks in advance: Howard

Hi Folks, I'm looking for a new computer and was wondering if a unclocked Dual Core processor (3.0 gig) would be as good or better than a unclocked Quad Core processor at 2.x gig. In reading the forum messages I understand that processor speed is of major importance to FSX. Example: I've read that a Quad Core processor with a speed of 3.0 will be faster for FSX than a I7 at 2.66. Now my question is would a unclocked Dual Core processor of 3.0 be faster (and better) for FSX than a unclocked Quad Core at 2.x.If not, then what would be the disadvantages of Dual Core over Quad Core for FSX? From what I've seen you can get dual core (old I realize) at very good prices (what I need).Thanks in advance: Howard
The answer is that FSX will be faster at 3 ghz dual core vs. i7 2.66. However, The increased bandwidth of i7 and its integrated memory controler negates some of the advantage of the higher clocked duo. So overall speed difference will be marginal. (The four cores also allow for better loading of scenery and less blurries.) If money is not an abject, quad cores are better investment for future softwares. Also note that you can easily over clock i7. (if i did it, anyone can).

If it will be FSX only - go for C2D - You'll save the money for some add-ons.If You will use FDC, ASA, Radar Contact, extra scenery or other, CPU hungry add-ons, go for a Quad.