Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

The hacking culprit

Hi TomI'm sure you are all hard at work trying your best to reinstate the library and other services that were attacked by the hacker(s). I realise you probably will never tell us who it was (I hope you will, though), but can you tell us if you have any degree of certainty regarding the culprit of this attack given your investigations and what sort of action you may take against the hacker(s)? I guess I don't have to tell you it would make those of us who are loyal to AVSIM happy to hear the culprit was caught and what punishment (if any) they had handed to them.Thanks,

Hi TomI'm sure you are all hard at work trying your best to reinstate the library and other services that were attacked by the hacker(s). I realise you probably will never tell us who it was (I hope you will, though), but can you tell us if you have any degree of certainty regarding the culprit of this attack given your investigations and what sort of action you may take against the hacker(s)? I guess I don't have to tell you it would make those of us who are loyal to AVSIM happy to hear the culprit was caught and what punishment (if any) they had handed to them.Thanks,
I am obviously not at liberty to discuss any aspect of this subject, nor is anyone on the Staff able to do so. The story on this event will eventually be told.

Guest Lochnivar
I am obviously not at liberty to discuss any aspect of this subject, nor is anyone on the Staff able to do so. The story on this event will eventually be told.
Let us know when you do. I'm sure we can find a few friends to visit him. You know, explain to him the errors of his ways.

Let us know when you do. I'm sure we can find a few friends to visit him. You know, explain to him the errors of his ways.
That response gives AVSIM a very good reason for never disclosing the name.

No worries, Tom. My main hope is that (apart from the culprit being prosecuted) this never happens again.

Tom, I for one and speaking only for myself, believe that the culprit(s) will experience some sort of justice. That having been said it is of course best left to you and the rest of the intrepid AVSIM staffs discretion concerning the matter. Now for the real reason I'm posting this,......, it is obvious to me now why MS closed ACES! They missed the op to acquire one of the best modelers ever known to the hobby! I guess they didn't want shown up! I'm not a rotorhead, but I would've download that model in a heartbeat! By the way do you still have the source files? Finally on a more somber note, what the AVSIM janitor and the rest of the staff have and are doing makes me get a little misty eyed. The way the entire FS community has pulled together is a true reminder that the human race does indeed have some redeeming qualities after all. Thank you all for that!Mel

Guest Chairborne

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted. It should be. Let Tom do his job, the authorities do theirs, we'll see this on the news in enough time. We don't 'need to know' the details. And let's please dispense with the innuendos of vendettas.For your listening pleasure, I hereby dedicate Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry" to the thread. Enjoy!

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted. It should be. Let Tom do his job, the authorities do theirs, we'll see this on the news in enough time. We don't 'need to know' the details. And let's please dispense with the innuendos of vendettas.For your listening pleasure, I hereby dedicate Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry" to the thread. Enjoy!
Please, stop requesting for censorship!I agree with Tom's answer, but please, enough Stalinbushism we had yet....Anyway, I'm glad to be here again and I hope the hacker(s) will be punished.

Guest Chairborne
Please, stop requesting for censorship!I agree with Tom's answer, but please, enough Stalinbushism we had yet....
What you call 'censorship' is called 'common sense'. If you keep insisting on disclosure, you are single-handedly going to compromise the security needed for the investigation needed to get this hacker and bring him to justice. Not only that, you are going to increase the possibility of subjecting this site and its owner to libel. And stop your rhetoric: all it serves is to make you seem less intelligent than I imagine you are. If you lust for news, you have the TV and a paper. Go.Do you understand? Stop being nosy and DROP THE SUBJECT. NOW.Perhaps you wish to compromise Avsim's future? Your attitude reflects it. I rest my case. This thread will not be revisited. I'm asking Tom to lock this down or just delete it altogether.

ChairborneI actually find your comments to be very personal and very negative. You outright insult people and expect to be the one who is correct.Remember that the Internet is truly international and we have people on here from all over the world with differing standards and interpretations.With this in mind, perhaps You should reconsider your attitude toward others. Oh, and you should never ever use caps and in red to boot, how rude. You perpetuate against others level of understanding and your self determination regarding the required educational standards required to be able to post and ask questions on Avsim leave a lot to be desired.As a perfect example of what I am referring to I give a direct quote from one of your other "Attacking Replies" below."GW: How idiotic. Why are you moaning if you got in? I'd expect this in Tom's e-mail inbox instead of here on the forums for all and sundry to read. What's your feeble point? You clearly define the line between idiocy and intelligence, hands down. Put on your big-boy pants, grow a pair and come back with something a little more decent and constructive to say, GW. You don't have to ingratiate yourself, but do grow up and be more considerate. After all, this *is* a free site, monetarily. As far as your 'free speech'? That kind of freedom isn't free. Think about it."Personally, I would be embarrassed to have posted such a hostile and personal attack on someone as you have, and is if nothing else an ideal example of why this thread should be deleted and not locked.How proud of yourself you must feel !I do have one suggestion for you though, and perhaps this will sound familiar, "do grow up and be more considerate"

What you call 'censorship' is called 'common sense'. If you keep insisting on disclosure, you are single-handedly going to compromise the security needed for the investigation needed to get this hacker and bring him to justice. Not only that, you are going to increase the possibility of subjecting this site and its owner to libel. And stop your rhetoric: all it serves is to make you seem less intelligent than I imagine you are. If you lust for news, you have the TV and a paper. Go.Do you understand? Stop being nosy and DROP THE SUBJECT. NOW.Perhaps you wish to compromise Avsim's future? Your attitude reflects it. I rest my case. This thread will not be revisited. I'm asking Tom to lock this down or just delete it altogether.
I have noticed something about MANY of your replies, Chairborne. You think you run this site. Who do you think you are? Don

Guest jshyluk

Folks, I am getting the impression that we've drifted far from "Letters To The Editorial Staff". Usually someone else mods these threads out, but it looks like I am up to bat. I'll always remember this as My First Thread Locked Ever. I'm usually the guy that closes threads with crappy posts, but now, today, I become One Of The Establishment. I will remember this thread forever. Too bad I will never treasure it.For the record: Tom Allensworth has laid the groundwork for what we at AVSIM can and cannot say about recent events. I say we all respect that. Unless Tom decides otherwise, we're not going to explore this topic any farther. Jeff ShylukFor The Love Of Pete, Don't Make Me Moderate AgainAVSIM