Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Me and my flying buddy, the i7-975....

Guest abulaafia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------With my TURBO MODE set to 27-26-26-26, and if I am in unlimited FPS mode within FSX, I usually sit around 70 mean average FPS. Like I said...the thing is a beast!But..I choose to use the FPS lock-down limiter of 30 fps, with the FSX bar set to unlimited.I have also now gone to 27-27-27-27 on all four cores, which brings me up to 3.609 GHz for my ceiling across all cores. That's what I love about this new TURBO technology. Your CPU can run to 3.6 GHz, but only if it needs that speed to process what you are asking it to do. Great stuff. Great stuff.....CheersMitch
You seem to be misunderstanding the Intel Turbo technology. As I understand it, you can run at Multiplier = "Auto" and enable "Turbo". That means running at 25 (=3.33GHz), and when needed one core will switch to 26 (=3.47 GHz). As soon as you set the Multiplier to anything manual (like 27), Turbo is disabled. There is no Turbo function which switches to 3.6 GHz, is there, that's just plain overclocking. Maybe you are confusing Speedstep and Turbo ... Speedstep REDUCES the multiplier, Turbo RAISES it. How to you get to 27-26-26-26? And what happened to your 4.0Ghz? I am not criticizing you . I simply want to make sure I am not misunderstanding Intels new technology. I have my 975 running at Auto, with Turbo enabled, and that gives me smoother gameplay and almost identical fps to an 4.0 overclock, amazingly. But if there was a way to enable Turbo etc. from multiplier 25 to 30 when needed, that would be fantastic.

Guest napamule

Abulaalia,I believe you are right. This i7 does not 'play' (work?) like the old processors. It has so much internal processors that do much of the work that all you have to do is set to turbo and go (well, almost). But you CAN defeat this if you set things wrong in Bios. Get a guru for overclocking, if you can. Right? Right. Mitch, read the F manual (hehe). I know, the enthusiasm is overwhelming. But don't do anything INTEL wouldn't do (ha). And just wondering if you ran FSX without the FpsLimiter, and fsp locked around 32 or 35? Just curious.I want an i7. The question is: i7, 920 ($380) or i7, 975 Extreme ($999). I think I know already. But, maybe (just maybe) I can swing 975 next year. But I am not happy waiting (seeing your furious ranting (with good reason-I would too) and raving. Being I am in the market for an i7 this thread has helped educate me more (has to be, as I knew little about i7 3 months ago). Thanks for sharing.Chuck BNapamule

Abulaalia,I believe you are right. This i7 does not 'play' (work?) like the old processors. It has so much internal processors that do much of the work that all you have to do is set to turbo and go (well, almost). But you CAN defeat this if you set things wrong in Bios. Get a guru for overclocking, if you can. Right? Right. Mitch, read the F manual (hehe). I know, the enthusiasm is overwhelming. But don't do anything INTEL wouldn't do (ha). And just wondering if you ran FSX without the FpsLimiter, and fsp locked around 32 or 35? Just curious.I want an i7. The question is: i7, 920 ($380) or i7, 975 Extreme ($999). I think I know already. But, maybe (just maybe) I can swing 975 next year. But I am not happy waiting (seeing your furious ranting (with good reason-I would too) and raving. Being I am in the market for an i7 this thread has helped educate me more (has to be, as I knew little about i7 3 months ago). Thanks for sharing.Chuck BNapamule
By that time Intel's new Gulftown should be out (6 cores 12 threads) but still using x58 architecture. I suspect 2 more cores will not make FSX run any better though,lolWill

Guest abulaafia

Apparently turbo mode will only switch from 25 to 26 with 4 cores active, but up to 30 with 2 core active. Will test how FSX works on 2 auto-adjusting cores.

You seem to be misunderstanding the Intel Turbo technology. As I understand it, you can run at Multiplier = "Auto" and enable "Turbo". That means running at 25 (=3.33GHz), and when needed one core will switch to 26 (=3.47 GHz). As soon as you set the Multiplier to anything manual (like 27), Turbo is disabled. There is no Turbo function which switches to 3.6 GHz, is there, that's just plain overclocking. Maybe you are confusing Speedstep and Turbo ... Speedstep REDUCES the multiplier, Turbo RAISES it. How to you get to 27-26-26-26? And what happened to your 4.0Ghz? I am not criticizing you . I simply want to make sure I am not misunderstanding Intels new technology. I have my 975 running at Auto, with Turbo enabled, and that gives me smoother gameplay and almost identical fps to an 4.0 overclock, amazingly. But if there was a way to enable Turbo etc. from multiplier 25 to 30 when needed, that would be fantastic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You can...just watch the video. They take you through the steps. Did you watch it?If you have the i7-975...and set your multi to 30 from stock 27 on the first core and leave the others alone at stock 26, you will see that you are hitting 4.0 GHz plus in turbo mode. You are setting the ceiling. I have done it, been there...and back down again. On the EE part, you can change the multiplier, while others that have like for instance, the 920 part, cannot. They have to boost over 133.7 on the Blclock.Watch the video I posted. They will show you how to adjust the four cores. If you adjust ALL four to the same bin...then you are in a solid overclock. Your CPUID display will not vary. You will always be at, for instance with a multi of 27x133.7= 3609 GHz.Just watch the full length of the vid for the 730xCheers

MitchBased on your comments, I 'took the plunge' and have ordered a new rig which will be a i7 975 with the GTX285 video card and 6 GB RAM, all running on a ASUS P6T SE motherboard.I noticed that the video is based on the Dell 730X, however my new machine will not be a Dell.Does this make a difference to adjusting the multi, turbo etc as per the video or can I assume that these adjustments should work on any i7 975 computer?Toni.

Apparently turbo mode will only switch from 25 to 26 with 4 cores active, but up to 30 with 2 core active. Will test how FSX works on 2 auto-adjusting cores.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------Two cores active?!?!?!?!?!?Abulaafia, ALL cores are active. Ab, all cores are set to run. On your 730x STOCK SETTINGS, if you go to the OVERCLOCKING MENU, you will observe FOUR core masks.1) 27 mult2) 263) 264) 26Now this is stock setting as coming to you from the Dell factory.IF....IF...you change the number ONE (1) core multi to a setting of 30, you will get in turbo mode, the CPU running in single thread that 30 ceiling. You will then reach over 4.0 GHz if the load on the CPU justifies it. But, you can't just crank up the multi---for there are vcore voltage adjustments to make, and there is the issue of heat generation. If you adjust all four cores to the exact same bin (multi), then you are out of TURBO and in a solid overclock.Nick_N or Bob Scott would be a very good mentor(s) for anything you might wish to know about hardware techCheers!Mitch
MitchBased on your comments, I 'took the plunge' and have ordered a new rig which will be a i7 975 with the GTX285 video card and 6 GB RAM, all running on a ASUS P6T SE motherboard.I noticed that the video is based on the Dell 730X, however my new machine will not be a Dell.Does this make a difference to adjusting the multi, turbo etc as per the video or can I assume that these adjustments should work on any i7 975 computer?Toni.
----------------------------------------------------------------For that question Toni, please query Nick_N. I only have had experience in using my own rig.Other than that, you will be blown away by your new rig's performance envelope. Enjoy...and oh...USE THAT ULTRALIGHT! You will have a ball! An utter ball!Mitch

Hey Mitch----no, actually that was FSX!! I really would like to see a video from your new rig!!Bruce
------------------------------------------------Ok Bruce, I'll let you know when I make one.:)

---------------------------------------------------Mitch, read the F manual (hehe). I know, the enthusiasm is overwhelming. But don't do anything INTEL wouldn't do (ha). And just wondering if you ran FSX without the FpsLimiter, and fsp locked around 32 or 35? Just curious.:) Nope...not TOO daring...for I want that $1,200.00 part around for as many years as the P4 still is...LOL.On just running without the Limiter set to 30...and FSX set to 32-35 on its own...not yet..but I will on my next flight and report if there is any sort of plus or minus for having done that.Mitch

What a great thread. I'm sure that those who criticize it can't feel the wonderful feeling of reality that you are feeling with that rig. As you say, "FLUIDITY IS THE KEY" (FITK). The system you describe is the HOLY GRAIL for FSX.My machine will be in on Thursday of this week from Jetline Systems. Of course, there will be those that say you should build it yourself, and that you're paying too much. But I disagree. I make money doing other things so that I can pay an expert to build my computer. My hobby is Flight Sim....NOT building computers.I too will have I7 975 Extreme (3.85 GHz Factory O/C) with CPU Liquid Cooling, 6GB Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDr3 (1600 MHz) Memory, GTX 285, 1250 Watt PSU, Vista 64, and VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM SATA 16MB Cache Primary Hard Drive. Motherboard will be EVGA X58 SLI Chipset - Core I7, Triple channel Memory.So, I will be in your "Club", and I can't wait to REALLY FLY in a simulator.Stan

What a great thread. I'm sure that those who criticize it can't feel the wonderful feeling of reality that you are feeling with that rig. As you say, "FLUIDITY IS THE KEY" (FITK). The system you describe is the HOLY GRAIL for FSX.My machine will be in on Thursday of this week from Jetline Systems. Of course, there will be those that say you should build it yourself, and that you're paying too much. But I disagree. I make money doing other things so that I can pay an expert to build my computer. My hobby is Flight Sim....NOT building computers.I too will have I7 975 Extreme (3.85 GHz Factory O/C) with CPU Liquid Cooling, 6GB Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDr3 (1600 MHz) Memory, GTX 285, 1250 Watt PSU, Vista 64, and VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM SATA 16MB Cache Primary Hard Drive. Motherboard will be EVGA X58 SLI Chipset - Core I7, Triple channel Memory.So, I will be in your "Club", and I can't wait to REALLY FLY in a simulator.Stan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Stan, I just came off a test flight in the mountains of Costa Rica....and after just installing and setting up nHancer 64 bit...it's like again, I just came off of a flight on the Pent 3.4 Ghz...and then took my FIRST flight on the i7!Like I said in a singular thread.... "Holy ****!"Make sure you get the nHancer version that you need...and set it up faithfully as per Nick's simforum post...and your eyes will fall into your lap! LOLOLOLOLOL!Oh lord...but it gets better by the flight...by-the-flight!Mitch

---------------------------------------------------Mitch, read the F manual (hehe). I know, the enthusiasm is overwhelming. But don't do anything INTEL wouldn't do (ha). And just wondering if you ran FSX without the FpsLimiter, and fsp locked around 32 or 35? Just curious.:) Nope...not TOO daring...for I want that $1,200.00 part around for as many years as the P4 still is...LOL.On just running without the Limiter set to 30...and FSX set to 32-35 on its own...not yet..but I will on my next flight and report if there is any sort of plus or minus for having done that.Mitch
Edit:I just used a setting of 30 FPS locked in FSX. I experienced some very slight stutter. I then shut down FSX, reused the pre-boot 30 FPS limiter with FSX as unlimited...and once more set sail to smooth and stutter-free sky. It absolutely makes a difference with FSX. It now shall be my de facto.Mitch

--------------------------------I want an i7. The question is: i7, 920 ($380) or i7, 975 Extreme ($999). I think I know already. But, maybe (just maybe) I can swing 975 next year. But I am not happy waiting (seeing your furious ranting (with good reason-I would too) and raving. Being I am in the market for an i7 this thread has helped educate me more (has to be, as I knew little about i7 3 months ago). Thanks for sharing.Chuck BNapamuleIf you get the Extreme, you don't have to overclock the system to get 3.33 GHz...but if you do...and I have it set to 3.609 GHz...it's a cakewalk. I have only gone up from 38C to 40C! This chip runs in ice-cubes, lol.A great performer. I hear that the 920 is the sweet-spot though for cost/performance. Your choice, but from experience, the 975 part KICKS!

Hey Mitch, I have noticed a few times you mention you have an addon for Miami. What is it? I'm not aware of any Miami scenery except the horrible MegaSceneryEarth Miami tiles I bought a while back.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have the same system you just ordered and unfortunately, you will not be able to adjust Turbo like in the video. The BIOS does not have those entries. Just enable Turbo mode. I would not worry. The i7 975 at stock is pretty fast.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.